Request for consultation
FOUNDATIONS OF MUSIC AND MUSICIANSHIP, 3rd Edition is intended for a one-semester course in the basic elements of music, including rhythm, meter, intervals, scales, triads, chords, and chord progressions. In Part One, the author explains intervals, scales, and triads. In Part Two, he expands the discussion to include chords and chord progressions. The many activities in this book, along with the accompanying CD-ROM enclosed free with every new copy of this text, will help your students to soon be reading and making music from written notation. With David Damschroder's expert guidance, they'll learn the fundamental concepts of music theory not as a spectator, but as an active participant.
- Each chapter includes new keyboard, singing, and aural exercises as well as a new section on improvisation.
- Nearly 100 "Tips for Success" have been added throughout the text to help students work efficiently to master the content and to alert students to pertinent material beyond the confines of the chapter at hand.
- Three layers of written exercises assist students in mastering materials. Practice exercises are integrated into the text; formal exercises, which can be turned in as homework, appear at the end of each chapter; and two self-graded examinations appear in the middle and end of the text.
- A "Scores for Musical Analysis" section appears at the end of the text and allows students to see new symbols and to apply new terms.
- The distribution of topics into chapters has been extensively revised. Every chapter covers an equal amount of new material, and supplementary materials appear together in an Appendix.
- The accompanying CD-ROM is a comprehensive resource that includes: more than 1,000 audio examples and exercises; musically shaped MIDI performances of all the musical examples in the text, rendered in rich timbres through Yamaha MidXtra soft-synthesizer technology; and interactive computer-based exercises to complement each chapter, including special tutorials for note reading and key signatures. The CD-ROM was created and designed by renowned music CD-ROM author Timothy Koozin, with content provided by David Damschroder.
1. Pitch: The Piano Keyboard. Rhythm: Quarter Notes and Half Notes in 4/4 Meter.
2. Pitch: Intervals and Triads in C Major. Rhythm: 2/4 and 3/4 Meters.
3. Pitch: The Keys of F Major and G Major. Rhythm: Rests.
4. Pitch: Three Minor Keys. Rhythm: Eighth Notes and Eighth Rests.
5. Pitch: Keys with Two through Four Sharps or Flats. Rhythm: Upbeats and Repeats.
6. Pitch: Five Interval Qualities. Rhythm: Compound Meters. Practice Midterm Examination.
Part II: CHORDS AND CHORD PROGRESSION.
7. Pitch: From Triad to Chord. Rhythm: Sixteenth Notes and Rests in Simple Meters.
8. Pitch: Chordal Inversion. Rhythm: Sixteenth Notes and Rests in Compound Meters.
9. Pitch: Chordal Analysis. Rhythm: Triplets.
10. Pitch: The Leading Tone in Chords and Scales. Rhythm: Syncopation.
11. Pitch: Chord Progression in Major Keys. Rhythm: Ties.
12. Pitch: Chord Progression in Minor Keys. Rhythm: Meters with Half-Note Beats.
Practice Final Examination.
"The strengths of this text are many. I find the prose and explanations to be exceptional in both writing style and clarity, a rarity in elementary music texts. The examples are well chosen and are based on tunes familiar to the majority of students: again, this is not always the case! On a more specific level, I am pleased with the way intervals are presented; they are tied exclusively to diatonic scales and not discussed as abstract pairs of pictures, which is infinitely more instructive to the student."
"This text strikes a balance between teaching goals for non-music majors as well as those for music majors who need thorough review; i.e., the text gets into harmonic analysis very much in line with what most college undergraduate music majors do."
"I think my students will find the new edition even more user friendly—it explains things very clearly and moves forward at a more even pace. There is a good mix of exercises, examples, and helpful hints."
All-You-Can-Learn Access with Cengage Unlimited
Cengage Unlimited is the first-of-its-kind digital subscription that gives students total and on-demand access to all the digital learning platforms, ebooks, online homework and study tools Cengage has to offer—in one place, for one price. Students get unlimited access to a library of more than 22,000 products for $119.99 per term.