Request for consultation
Cengage Learning Activity Series From aerobics and yoga — to bowling, tennis, weight training, and more — Cengage Learning offers a complete line of activities texts to meet your teaching needs. Written for individuals of all skill levels and backgrounds, the Cengage Learning Activity Series goes beyond the mere fundamentals, showing students how to improve, excel, and simply get more enjoyment from their favorite physical activities. Introduce students to the health benefits of walking and jogging with this concise text, WALKING AND JOGGING FOR HEALTH AND FITNESS. It presents persuasive and logical reasons to include exercise daily, and provides guidelines for beginning and sustaining walking and jogging programs in order to meet health and fitness goals.
- The sixth edition of WALKING & JOGGING FOR HEALTH AND WELLNESS features an all-new color design that will fully engage students in the fundamentals of walking and jogging.
- All new color photos have been added to the sixth edition, increasing the effectiveness of visual cues within the text and enhancing the overall student learning experience.
- Chapters 2-3 from the previous edition have been combined into one chapter for the sixth edition, streamlining the concepts of Motivational Techniques into a comprehensive chapter called "Getting Started."
- End-of-Chapter Summaries succinctly encapsulate the chapter's main points to help students review.
- Walk4Life® Elite Model pedometer, which tracks steps, elapsed time, and distance, and includes a calorie counter and a clock can be bundled with this text at a discounted price. A valuable tool for everyone whether it is used as an activity in class or as a tool to encourage students to track and increase daily number of steps and walk toward better fitness and wellness.
- Discussions on current topics such as excessive exercise, environmental safety concerns, psychology of visualization and motivation, special populations, shoe selection, and why people quit, are covered throughout the text to engage students on emerging topics and show the wide range of topics related to walking and jogging.
- Chapter 2: "Getting Started" now integrates topics such as motivation, regular exercise, achieving objects, and principles of exercise.
- Chapter 5: "Prevention and Treatment of Walking and Jogging Injuries" is covered early in the text to help students learn ways to prevent an injury that might occur during their training and to help with the recognition of the signs and symptoms of an impending injury and the application of an appropriate treatment.
- "Key Terms" are included at the end of each chapter with page reference, giving students an added resource for a quick study reference.
- An emphasis on visuals throughout the text demonstrate important techniques such as proper posture and warm-up stretches so that they can use the photographs as models when they start exercising.
- Assessments like the Rockport Fitness Walking Test, the 3-Mile Walking Test, and the 1.5 Mile Running Test are included, with accompanying charts that allow exercisers to analyze their fitness level based on their age and gender.
2. Getting Started.
3. Walking and Jogging for Health and Fitness.
4. Prevention and Treatment of Walking and Jogging Injuries.
5. Physiological Adaptations of Walking and Jogging.
6. Nutrition for Active People.
7. Reducing the Risk of Selected Diseases Through Exercise.
Cengage provides a range of supplements that are updated in coordination with the main title selection. For more information about these supplements, contact your Learning Consultant.
Online Instructor's Manual
Located on the password-protected instructor companion website, the Instructor's Manual includes suggested classroom methodologies, bookkeeping information forms, a sample course syllabus, course objectives (cognitive, affective, and psychomotor), a knowledge pre-test survey, cueing techniques and cue signs, strength training circuit workouts, motivational theme classes, body composition assessment lab sign-up sheet, 50 final exam test questions (with answers), course & instructor evaluations for students, and resources to consider (music/books/journals/videotapes/equipment).