Request for consultation
ESSENTIALS OF UNDERSTANDING ABNORMAL BEHAVIOR, 3rd Edition offers the same multidimensional focus, multicultural emphasis, topical coverage, and engaging style as its comprehensive counterpart (UNDERSTANDING ABNORMAL BEHAVIOR) in a condensed, student-friendly format. Updated to reflect DSM-5 and the newest scientific, psychological, multicultural, and psychiatric research, the text introduces and integrates the Multipath Model of Mental Disorders to explain how biological, psychological, social, and sociocultural factors interact to cause mental disorders. A focus on resilience highlights prevention and recovery from the symptoms of various disorders, and the book also continues its emphasis on the multicultural, sociocultural, and diversity aspects of abnormal psychology. The authors present material in a lively and engaging manner, connecting topics to real-world case studies, current events, and issues of particular importance and relevance to college students.
- This edition is thoroughly updated to provide coverage and terminology that is consistent with the American Psychiatric Association's revision of the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM-5).
- New, engaging case studies, many taken from journal articles and actual clinical files, appear in all disorder chapters. These cases put a human face on the various disorders and issues discussed throughout the book.
- The third edition presents new or expanded discussion of: hoarding disorder, treatment for anxiety and obsessive-compulsive disorders -- including research trends involving cognitive-behavioral therapies (Ch. 4); adjustment disorders, biological factors contributing to stress disorders (Ch. 5); suicide prevention, coping with a suicidal crisis, suicide in the military, suicide among baby boomers, suicide in men, psychotherapy for clients with suicidal ideation, and the effects of suicide on friends and family (Ch. 8).
- Readers will find updated research on the etiology and treatment of eating disorders and obesity, including a discussion of the influence of hormones and intestinal bacteria (Ch. 9); updated statistics and figures illustrating the prevalence of substance use and abuse, with a particular focus on alcohol and new topics including the marijuana debate, e-cigarettes, and designer drugs; new material on other addictions, including gambling and Internet gaming disorders (Ch. 10); and updated research on schizophrenia and explanations of the DSM-5 diagnostic categories (Ch. 11).
- The text features a continued focus on neurocognitive disorders across the lifespan, with a strong emphasis on lifestyle changes that can help prevent the development of degenerative disorders such as dementia (Ch. 12); substantially reorganized material that incorporates the ten traditional personality disorders, and discussion of the DSM-5 alternative model for diagnosing personality psychopathology (Ch. 14).
- Chapter 15 (on disorders of childhood and adolescence) has been updated and expanded with discussion of neurodevelopmental disorders, childhood anxiety, childhood post-traumatic stress disorder, reactive attachment disorder, and tics and Tourette's syndrome.
- Chapter 16 (on law and ethics) includes new case studies emphasizing the intersection of psychology and the law.
- Case studies, current controversies, and up-to-date research findings make issues of mental health and mental disorders "come to life" for students. The latest scholarly research is incorporated throughout the text to reflect recent breakthroughs in the etiology and treatment of mental disorders.
- "Focus on Resilience" features integrate contributions from the field of positive psychology and highlight key information relevant to both prevention and recovery from the symptoms associated with various disorders.
- Learning features include "Controversy" boxes that engage students in examining key issues; "Myth versus Reality" discussions that challenge the many false beliefs that surround the field of abnormal behavior; "Did You Know?" boxes with fascinating, at-a-glance research-based tidbits; and "Focus Questions," "Checkpoint Reviews," and chapter summaries to aid students in reviewing concepts, gauging their understanding, and preparing for tests.
- The Multipath Model of Mental Disorders provides students with an organizational framework for understanding the numerous causes of mental disorders (biological, psychological, social, and sociocultural), the complexity of their interacting components, and the need to view disorders from a holistic perspective.
- The authors emphasize the multicultural, sociocultural, and diversity aspects of abnormal psychology, presenting the content with a writing style and visuals designed to engage readers of all levels.
2. Models of Abnormal Behavior.
3. Clinical Research, Assessment, and Classification of Abnormal Behavior.
4. Anxiety and Obsessive-Compulsive and Related Disorders.
5. Trauma and Stressor-Related Disorders.
6. Somatic Symptom and Dissociative Disorders.
7. Depressive and Bipolar Disorders.
9. Eating Disorders.
10. Substance-Related and Other Addictive Disorders.
11. Schizophrenia Spectrum Disorders.
12. Neurocognitive Disorders.
13. Sexual Dysfunctions, Gender Dysphoria, and Paraphilic Disorders.
14. Personality Psychopathology.
15. Disorders of Childhood and Adolescence.
16. Law and Ethics in Abnormal Psychology.
Cengage provides a range of supplements that are updated in coordination with the main title selection. For more information about these supplements, contact your Learning Consultant.
Online Instructor's Website (with Instructor's Manual and Test Bank)
Everything you need for your course in one place! This collection of book-specific lecture and class tools is available online via www.cengage.com/login. Access and download PowerPoint presentations, images, instructor’s manual, videos, and more.
Cengage Learning Testing, powered by Cognero® Instant Access
Cengage Learning Testing Powered by Cognero® is a flexible, online system that allows you to: import, edit, and manipulate content from the text's test bank or elsewhere, including your own favorite test questions; create multiple test versions in an instant; and deliver tests from your LMS, your classroom, or wherever you want.