Request for consultation
A brief version of Gravetter and Wallnau's proven bestseller, ESSENTIALS OF STATISTICS FOR THE BEHAVIORAL SCIENCES, 9th Edition delivers straightforward instruction, unrivaled accuracy, built-in learning aids, and a wealth of real-world examples and illustrations. The authors take time to explain statistical procedures so that students can go beyond memorizing formulas and begin gaining a conceptual understanding of statistics. By skillfully integrating applications that reinforce concepts, they ensure that even students with a weak background in mathematics can fully understand statistics. The text also leads readers to become savvy consumers of information by showing how having an understanding of statistical procedures will help them comprehend published findings. A complete supplements package -- including the MindTap™ digital learning experience and the Aplia online homework tool -- supports instructors with class preparation and testing, helping maximize course success.
- Each major section of every chapter begins with a list of Learning Objectives that provide a structure for organizing lectures and preparing assignments and exams. The objectives also focus students' attention on the key concepts and skills they need to learn.
- Each section ends with a Learning Check consisting of multiple-choice questions, including at least one question for each Learning Objective for the section.
- Many chapters have been simplified and shortened by eliminating redundant examples and other non-essential material, thereby enabling a focus on the specific goals identified by the Learning Objectives.
- Do-it-yourself examples scattered throughout each chapter present numerical examples that provide students an opportunity to perform the statistical calculations that have been introduced.
- Examples and end-of-chapter problems have been updated throughout the book to engage students with interesting, up-to-date demonstrations of research studies as well as the statistical techniques used to organize and interpret their results.
- In the Literature sections throughout the book demonstrate and explain how statistical results are presented in research reports, guiding students to become savvy consumers of information.
- For instructors using SPSS (or a similar statistics program), an appendix presents a general introduction to SPSS. In addition, the Resources section at the end of each chapter for which SPSS is applicable demonstrates the step-by-step process of using the program for specific statistical applications.
- Simplified demonstration problems at the end of each chapter focus on the content of the chapter and minimize tedious computations.
- Real-world examples from across the social and behavioral sciences make this proven book very accessible for all students, and vividly demonstrate how behavioral statistics apply to everyday life.
- The text reflects the most current APA guidelines.
- Learning Objectives throughout the book provide a framework for presenting lectures and preparing exams, and guide students' reading and review of the material.
- Multiple examples demonstrate specific statistical procedures in the context of the research designs and data for which they are appropriate, helping to facilitate the connection between statistics and research methods.
- Chapters and many sections within each chapter are designed to be self-contained so instructors have the flexibility to delete or reorganize topics to match their syllabus.
- Statistical formulas are presented in both standard mathematical notation and in everyday language. In addition to presenting these formulas, the book provides a conceptual framework for each statistical application that helps student understand the purpose of the formulas and the questions they are designed to answer.
2. Frequency Distributions.
3. Central Tendency.
5. z-Scores: Location of Scores and Standardized Distributions.
7. Probability and Samples: The Distribution of Sample Means.
8. Introduction to Hypothesis Testing.
9. Introduction to the t Statistic.
10. The t Test for Two Independent Samples.
11. The t Test for Two Related Samples.
12. Introduction to Analysis of Variance.
13. Repeated-Measures and Two-Factor Analysis of Variance.
14. Correlation and Regression.
15. The Chi-Square Statistic: Tests for Goodness of Fit and Independence.
Cengage provides a range of supplements that are updated in coordination with the main title selection. For more information about these supplements, contact your Learning Consultant.
Instructor's Companion Website (with Instructor's Manual and Test Bank)
Everything you need for your course in one place! This collection of book-specific lecture and class tools is available online via www.cengage.com/login. Access and download PowerPoint® presentations, images, instructor's manual, videos, and more.
These vibrant Microsoft® PowerPoint® lecture slides for each chapter assist you with your lecture by providing concept coverage using images, figures, and tables directly from the textbook.
Cengage Learning Testing, powered by Cognero® Instant Access
Cengage Learning Testing Powered by Cognero® is a flexible, online system that allows you to: import, edit, and manipulate content from the text's test bank or elsewhere, including your own favorite test questions; create multiple test versions in an instant; and deliver tests from your LMS, your classroom, or wherever you want.