Request for consultation
ESSENTIALS OF OCEANOGRAPHY provides a basic understanding of the complexities and uncertainties involved in ocean use and the importance of oceans in nurturing and sustaining life. Streamlined to remove nonessential technical details so students can focus on the content without interruptions to the narrative, the 8th Edition's slimmer table of contents allows instructors to cover one chapter a week -- while leaving some extra time in the semester. Using exclusive content from the National Geographic Society, ESSENTIALS OF OCEANOGRAPHY, 8th Edition, illustrates the complexity and beauty of the ocean while making it more accessible to a wider range of students. With this book, bestselling authors Tom Garrison and Robert Ellis illustrate the interdisciplinary nature of marine science and give students the most dynamic and current introduction to oceanography available today.
- Many of the nonessential technical details, past student questions, explorer insights and the detailed information boxes have been removed so that students can focus on the content without interruptions to the narrative flow.
- There are a total of 11 chapters in this edition compared to the 15 chapters that were in the seventh edition. This allows instructors to cover one chapter a week and still leave time for introductions, exam days, and class activities during the semester.
- New to this Edition MindTap for Oceanography. MindTap features an e-book, conceptual learning problems, quizzing, videos, and more. Assigning MindTap as part of their grade has been shown to increase student engagement, boost retention, and enhance learning.
- Conceptual learning activities have been included in MindTap to help students understand key concepts in the chapter.
- Select feature content that was removed from the narrative can be accessed through MindTap.
- Global Geoscience Watch: Updated several times a day, the Global Geoscience Watch is a focused portal into GREENR, our Global Reference on the Environment, Energy and Natural Resources. It's an ideal site for classroom discussion and research projects for all things geoscience. Broken into the four key course areas --Geography, Geology, Meteorology, and Oceanography -- you and your students will have access to the latest information from trusted media outlets. You also will receive access to statistics, primary sources, case studies, podcasts, and much more!
- ESSENTIALS OF OCEANOGRAPHY, Eighth Edition, continues to emphasize the interdisciplinary nature of marine science, stressing its connections with astronomy, physics, chemistry, meteorology, geology, biology, ecology, history, and economics. Using an engaging writing style, authors Tom Garrison and Robert Ellis help students gain "an oceanic perspective" in which water, continents, seafloors, sunlight, storms, seaweeds, and society are connected in beautiful ways.
- Global climate change is integrated throughout this text.
- Each chapter of the book includes a fully integrated learning system. A preview of 4-6 key concepts begins each chapter, a chapter summary helps students crystallize what they have learned, and Study Questions help them apply what they have learned.
2. Plate Tectonics.
3. The Ocean Floor.
4. Water and Ocean Structure.
5. Atmospheric Circulation.
6. Ocean Circulation.
7. Waves and Tides.
9. Life in the Ocean.
10. Marine Communities.
11. Uses and Abuses of the Ocean.
Appendix I Measurements and Conversions.
Appendix II Geological Time.
Appendix III Absolute and Relative Dating.
Appendix IV Maps and Charts.
Appendix V Latitude and Longitude, Time, and Navigation.
Appendix VI The Law of the Sea Governs Marine Resource Allocation.
Appendix VII Working in Marine Science.
"Content is presented in a style that beginning science students can easily understand."
"As educators we always must grapple with the tradeoffs between breadth and depth of material. I think this Essentials version does very well and balancing the tradeoffs."
Cengage provides a range of supplements that are updated in coordination with the main title selection. For more information about these supplements, contact your Learning Consultant.
Instructor Companion Website
Everything you need for your course in one place! This collection of product-specific lecture and class tools is available online via the instructor resource center at www.cengage.com/login. You'll be able to access and download materials such as PowerPoint presentations, images, instructor’s manual, videos, and more.
Cengage Learning Testing, powered by Cognero Instant Access
Cengage Learning Testing, powered by Cognero® is a flexible, online system that allows you to import, edit, and manipulate content from the text's test bank or elsewhere, including your own favorite test questions; create multiple test versions in an instant; and deliver tests from your LMS, your classroom, or wherever you want.