Request for consultation
Practical, straightforward, and user-friendly, the third edition of ESSENTIALS OF NURSING LEADERSHIP & MANAGEMENT is designed to help students and beginning nurses develop the knowledge and skills to lead and manage nursing care delivery in the 21st century., This comprehensive text is organized into five units; the Essentials of Nursing Leadership and Management, Leadership and Management of the Interdisciplinary Team, Leadership and Management of Patient-Centered Care, Quality Improvement of Patient Outcomes, and Leadership and Management of Self and the Future. Through nursing case studies, interviews, critical thinking exercises, NCLEX-style questions, review activities, and web activities, students will successfully build their confidence in handling a range of common nursing leadership and management situations. The completely revised third edition contains up-to-date coverage of relevant topics such as information technology, quality improvement, safety, informatics, evidence-based practice, patient-centered care, National Safety Goals, and the Quality and Safety Education for Nurses (QSEN) initiative.
- REVISED MATERIAL. All chapters have been revised, updated, and strengthened to reflect the most current information in the field.
- MULTIPLE OPPORTUNITIES FOR PRACTICE. NCLEX-style questions (with answers and rationales available online) have been added in order to provide students with additional practice opportunities.
- CURRENT TRENDS IN THE FIELD. The third edition includes a discussion of timely topics, such as information technology, National Safety Goals, and the Quality and Safety Education for Nurses (QSEN) initiative, so that students are adequately prepared for a career in today's health care industry.
- UP-TO-DATE COVERAGE. New information on quality improvement, safety , informatics, team building, evidence-based practice, and patient-centered care has been added throughout the text.
- STRAIGHTFORWARD APPROACH. Clear and concise presentation of concepts and theories promote quicker comprehension, critical thinking, and application of nursing leadership and management principles.
- RELEVANT COVERAGE. The chapter on the health care environment discusses issues every nurse must master, such as evidence-based care, research, best practice guidelines, quality measurement, population-based health care, accreditation, HIPAA, and bioterrorism.
- EVIDENCE-BASED RESEARCH. Evidence from the Literature boxes present evidence-based research, making a clear and applicable tie between theory and practice.
- REAL WORLD RELEVANCE. Real World Interviews offer insight into how actual leaders and managers have solved real-life conflicts and dilemmas.
- CAREER ADVICE. Advice on researching a job, preparing a resume, and successfully interviewing make these tasks concrete and manageable.
- ONLINE RESOURCES. An online resource offers suggested responses to the text opening scenarios, case studies, review questions, critical thinking exercises, and review activities in order to provide students with additional opportunities for practice.
1. Nursing Leadership and Management.
2. The Health Care Environment.
3. Nursing Today.
4. Decision Making, Critical Thinking, and Technology.
LEADERSHIP AND MANAGEMENT OF THE INTERDISCIPLINARY TEAM.
5. Interdisciplinary Teamwork and Collaboration.
6. Change, Innovation, and Conflict.
7. Power and Politics.
LEADERSHIP AND MANAGEMENT OF PATIENT-CENTERED CARE.
8. Delegation of Patient Care.
9. Effective Staffing.
10. Budget Concepts for Patient Care.
11. Strategic Planning and Organizing Patient Care for Quality and Safety .
12. Time Management and Setting Patient Care Priorities.
QUALITY IMPROVEMENT OF PATIENT OUTCOMES.
13. Quality Improvement and Evidence-Based Patient Care.
14. Legal Aspects of Health Care.
15. Ethical Aspects of Health Care.
16. Culture, Generational Differences, and Spirituality.
LEADERSHIP AND MANAGEMENT OF SELF AND THE FUTURE.
17. NCLEX Preparation and Your First Job.
18. Career Planning and Achieving Balance.
"I liked the way the author built from simple to complex and utilized nursing scenarios to capture the content. Her approach is good. This was easy reading and students will follow along well."
"Opening scenarios are excellent throughout the book, as are the interviews."