Request for consultation
Designed to help students and beginning nurses develop the knowledge and skills needed to lead and manage nursing care delivery, NURSING LEADERSHIP & MANAGEMENT, 3rd Edition, prepares future nurse leaders to function successfully in the modern health care system. In this newly revised edition, students are provided with the most current information on relevant topics such as quality improvement, patient safety, legal aspects of nursing, delegation, and licensure that are important for preparing for a career in nursing. Through coverage of key topics such as teamwork, population-based health care, evidence-based practice, informatics, ethics, culture, and organizational change, students are given a framework for understanding how they can become leaders and make a difference within the vast healthcare system.
- Includes the most current information from national, federal, and state health care and nursing organizations.
- Updated topics such as The Joint Commission, transforming care at the bedside, patient safety, and legal aspects of nursing provide students the most current information that is relevant to preparing for a career in nursing.
- Test questions are included in all chapters to help students prepare for in-class exams as well as state or national board exams. Question formats include multiple choice and NCLEX-style questions.
- Patient care assignment sheets are included to give students hands-on practice with completing sheets correctly during their nursing leadership experiences in the clinical area.
- The NCLEX-RN Licensure Preparation chapter ensures that students are prepared for licensure by including a mini-nutrition chart, revised mini-medication chart, and tips on preparing for the licensure examination.
- Updated coverage of the role of the entry level staff nurse in nursing leadership and management gives new nurses a framework for understanding how they can become leaders and make a difference within the vast healthcare system.
- To address the needs of nursing leaders, higher level communication and team building skills are incorporated in the text.
- Coverage of recent trends in health care can be found in Chapter 3, Organizational Behavior and Magnet Hospitals.
- Entry level nursing case studies, review questions, review activities, and exploring the web activities are found in each chapter to help students prepare for class.
- Evidence-based internet resources, internet addresses, selected health care costs (salary, drugs, supply, etc.), a list of nursing associations, selected state NCLEX addresses, and a list of internet sites to access schools for BSN, MSN, NP, and PhD programs are located in various chapters and provide learners with useful resources for class as well as their future career.
- Suggested responses to the text case studies, review questions, critical thinking challenges, and review activities can be found in the online companion website resource and are designed to help student's master difficult concepts.
1. Nursing Leadership and Management.
2. The Healthcare Environment.
3. Organizational Behavior and Magnet Hospitals.
4. Basic Clinical Healthcare Economics.
5. Evidence-Based Health Care.
6. Nursing and Healthcare Informatics.
7. Population Based Healthcare Practice.
Unit II: LEADERSHIP AND MANAGEMENT OF THE INTERDISCIPLINARY TEAM.
8. Personal and Interdisciplinary Communication.
9. Politics and Consumer Partnerships.
10. Strategic Planning and organizing Patient Care.
11. Effective Team Building.
13. Change, Innovation, and Conflict Management.
Unit III: LEADERSHIP AND MANAGEMENT OF PATIENT- CENTERED CARE.
14. Budget Concepts for Patient Care.
15. Effective Staffing.
16. Delegation of Patient Care.
17. Organization of Patient Care Management.
18. Time Management and Setting Patient Care Priorities.
19. Patient and Health Care Education.
Unit IV: QUALITY IMPROVEMENT OF PATIENT OUTCOMES.
20. Managing Outcomes Using an Organizational Quality Improvement Model.
21. Evidence Based Strategies to Improve Patient Care Outcomes.
22. Decision Making and Critical Thinking.
23. Legal Aspects of Health Care.
24. Ethical Aspects of Health Care.
25. Culture, Generational Differences, and Spirituality.
Unit V: LEADERSHIP AND MANAGEMENT OF SELF AND THE FUTURE.
26. Collective Bargaining.
27. Career Planning.
28. Nursing Job Opportunities.
29. Your First Job.
30. Healthy Living: Balancing Personal and Professional Needs.
31. NCLEX Preparation and Professionalism.