Request for consultation
THE LAW OF CONTRACTS AND THE UNIFORM COMMERCIAL CODE, 3e, covers all the important features of common law contracts, as well as Article 2 of the Uniform Commercial Code in a practical, understandable, and realistic manner. Real cases demonstrate how the concepts in each chapter are applied, and the fact pattern is used throughout the chapter to demonstrate how contracts and their concepts affect our daily lives, often with unusual results. Using a fluid and interesting writing style, the author reduces contract law to its basic components and provides examples that build on other examples. Chapter summaries, review questions, exercises, a running glossary, and--new to this edition--learning objectives help your students to fully grasp this complex area of the law.
- Chapter-opening Learning Objectives alert students to the concepts they should learn in each chapter.
- "Trending Now in Contracts" features discuss new trends in the contracts arena, focusing on current cases and social networking.
- A new Ethics problem in the Exercise section highlights practical applications and the importance of legal ethics for paralegals.
- Expanded Case Assignments provide additional opportunities for students to test their understanding, engaging them by showing how concepts apply and giving them hands-on experience in drafting contracts.
- Comprehensive, accessible coverage of common law contracts and the Uniform Commercial Code, Article 2, prepares students for their careers as paralegals.
- Two chapters are devoted to drafting contracts.
- In-book learning aids, including learning objectives, chapter summaries, review questions, exercises, a running glossary, and more, help students fully grasp this complex area of the law.
- Practical Applications throughout the book demonstrate the reality of working with contracts.
- Many cases and examples bring contract law to life and help students master key concepts.
1. Contract Law: A General Introduction
2. Contract Basics: An Overview.
PART II: FORMING THE CONTRACTS: THE NECESSARY ELEMENTS.
3. Formation of a Contraction: Offer and Acceptance.
4. Consideration: The Value for the Promise.
5. Mutual Assent of the Parties.
6. Capacity: The Ability to Contract.
7. Legality in Contracts.
8. Proper Form of the Contract: The Writing.
PART III: CONTRACT PERFORMANCE AND REMEDIES.
9. Performance and Discharge of the Contract.
10. Remedies in Contract Law.
11. Third Party Contracts.
PART IV: AN INTRODUCTION TO THE UNIFORM COMMERCIAL CODE: ARTICLE 2.
12. Sales: Article 2 of the Uniform Commercial Code.
13. Performance Under Article 2: Seller and Buyer Duties.
14. Title, Risk of Loss, and Warranties.
15. Seller and Buyer Remedies.
16. Contracts and the Internet: Something Borrowed, Something New.
PART V: DRAFTING CONTRACTS.
17. Drafting a Contract: The Essentials.
18. Drafting a Contract: Specific Provisions.
19. Analyzing a Contracts Problem: Putting Theory into Practice.
"I really like this text! I used the First Edition for years and was thrilled when the Second Edition came out. Students are able to grasp the material easily. The material is organized in a logical manner which makes lecturing a pleasure. Students tend to "get" the material which allows us to move to the next level of inquiry in the course."
"Approach: The approach of this text is superior to competitors. The author relates to students by admitting the challenges associated with contract law; she has chosen cases and "side notes" that not only pertain to the chapter and topic, but also entertain and intrigue the legal student's mind; the comics demonstrate her understanding of a student and their constant state of reading and researching. Organization: The organization is superior to others because the contract basics are covered completely in the first 11 chapters. I appreciate this because the essential information is covered immediately and clearly. Chapters 12-19 can be added throughout the essential chapters or utilized after completing the first 11 chapters. This is appealing as an instructor because it gives me the freedom to tailor my course as necessary. Other texts that have lengthy chapters covering more material than my course dictates require me to omit mid-chapter, which can be confusing to students. Readability: The wording is conversational and kind. Examples and exhibits are relatable and even humorous and lighthearted at times. This makes it easy and enjoyable for students to read."
Cengage provides a range of supplements that are updated in coordination with the main title selection. For more information about these supplements, contact your Learning Consultant.
Instructor's Web Site
The Instructor Companion Website includes an Instructor's Manual, Computerized Test Bank in Cognero, and customizable PowerPoint® presentations.
Student Web Site
Cengage Learning Testing, powered by Cognero Instant Access
Cengage Learning Testing Powered by Cognero is a flexible, online system that allows you to: author, edit, and manage test bank content from multiple Cengage Learning solutions; create multiple test versions in an instant; deliver tests from your LMS, your classroom or wherever you want. Start right away! Cengage Learning Testing Powered by Cognero works on any operating system or browser. No special installs or downloads needed. Create tests from school, home, the coffee shop – anywhere with Internet access. What will you find? Simplicity at every step. A desktop-inspired interface features drop-down menus and familiar, intuitive tools that take you through content creation and management with ease. Full-featured test generator. Create ideal assessments with your choice of 15 question types (including true/false, multiple choice, opinion scale/likert, and essay). Multi-language support, an equation editor and unlimited metadata help ensure your tests are complete and compliant. Cross-compatible capability. Import and export content into other systems.