Request for consultation
Updated to include the latest data and research, Abadinsky's DRUG USE AND ABUSE: A COMPREHENSIVE INTRODUCTION, 9th Edition, delivers a thorough, interdisciplinary examination of all aspects of drug and alcohol use and misuse. The text draws from the disciplines of history, law, pharmacology, political science, social work, counseling, psychology, sociology, and criminal justice -- resulting in the most comprehensive, authoritative single source available. The author explores the history of drugs, their impact on society, the pharmacological impact of drugs on the body, drug policy implications, the criminal justice system response, the illegal drug business, law enforcement, and theories of use, as well as the effects, treatment, and prevention of abuse. Other topics include the nonmedical use of prescription drugs, synthetic substances, the use of stimulants to treat PTSD and ADD, and the pharmacology and controversies surrounding marijuana. What’s more, the MindTap® that accompanies this text helps students practice and master techniques and key concepts while engaging them with career-based decision-making scenarios, visual summaries, and more.
- New marginal notes in every chapter highlight key points and critical issues, aiding student learning and retention.
- The chapter organization has been changed to better facilitate learning. For example, the history of drug use and legislation (Chapter 8 in the 8th edition) now appears as Chapter 2 to create a more logical flow of topics.
- Cutting edge material on current and emerging drug-related issues offers opportunities for informed discussions of drug policy. In addition, comparative analysis of U.S. policy and that of other nations ties together material presented in the other chapters, further allowing for application of topics discussed throughout the book.
- The introductory chapter contains additional material on the connection between drug use and non-drug criminal behavior, an updated and expanded examination of how the prevalence of drug use is measured, expanded material on physician drug use, and updated material on the connection between alcohol, crime, and violence.
- Chapter 4 on stimulants contains additional material on intravenous ingestion of cocaine and methamphetamine use; new and expanded information on synthetic cathinones; extensive information on tobacco, e-cigarettes, and caffeine, including new regulations on e-cigarettes; and a new discussion on selective serotonin inhibitors (SSRIs), such as Prozac.
- Chapter 8 has been streamlined for ease of classroom use. At the same time, it includes more information on buprenorphine, drug courts, and twelve-step programs; new material on Motivational Interviewing and alternatives to AA, such as SMART Recovery; and additional material on cognitive behavior therapy and roadside drug tests.
- Chapter 9 has been retitled "The Drug Business" and contains updates on the opium trade in Afghanistan, the expansion of Mexican and Colombian involvement in drug trafficking, and the role of China in providing precursor chemicals.
- The new MindTap® for the text offers customizable content, course analytics, an e-reader, and an applied learning experience -- all within your current learning management system. MindTap® prepares students to make the kinds of reasoned, real-world decisions they will need to make as future professionals. With its rich array of assets -- all of which are tagged by learning objective and Bloom's Taxonomy level -- MindTap® is perfectly suited for today's Criminal Justice students, engaging them, guiding them toward mastery of basic concepts, and advancing their critical thinking abilities.
- Review questions at the end of each chapter enable students to test and gauge their knowledge.
- The author draws from his real-life experiences in the field as well as the classroom to offer the most comprehensive, student-friendly text available. Before becoming a professor at St. John's University, Dr. Howard Abadinsky served as an inspector for the sheriff's office in Cook County, Illinois; a New York state parole officer and senior parole officer; and a New York State Narcotic Addiction Control Commission senior parole officer.
- In-text learning tools such as chapter objectives and end-of-chapter summaries help improve student comprehension. In addition, key concepts and figures set off in the margins along with insightful boxes and tables all work together to help students identify and retain key points.
- Equipping students with a thorough overview and solid understanding of the subject matter, DRUG USE AND ABUSE: A COMPREHENSIVE INTRODUCTION, 9th Edition delivers current, informative, and balanced coverage of the history, policy, and theories of drug use.
1. An Introduction to Drug Use and Abuse.
2. History of Drug Use and Drug Legislation.
3. The Biology of Psychoactive Substances.
6. Hallucinogens, Marijuana, Inhalants, and Prescription Drugs.
7. Psychology and Sociology of Drug Use.
8. Preventing and Treating Drug Use.
9. The Drug Business.
10. Drug Laws and Law Enforcement.
11. United States Drug Policy.
12. Global Drug Policy.
Cengage provides a range of supplements that are updated in coordination with the main title selection. For more information about these supplements, contact your Learning Consultant.
Test Bank (Microsoft® Word)
Organize your course and capture your students' attention with the resources found in the Test Bank, including multiple-choice, true/false, short-answer, and essay questions for each chapter of the text -- most with answers and page references.
Online Instructor's Manual
This detailed manual provides sample syllabi, course guidelines, in-class exercises, and chapter objectives to assist instructors in teaching the course.
These vibrant Microsoft® PowerPoint® lecture slides for each chapter assist you with your lecture by providing concept coverage using images, figures, and tables directly from the textbook.
Cengage Learning Testing, powered by Cognero® Instant Access
Cengage Learning Testing Powered by Cognero® is a flexible, online system that allows you to: import, edit, and manipulate content from the text's test bank or elsewhere, including your own favorite test questions; create multiple test versions in an instant; and deliver tests from your LMS, your classroom, or wherever you want.