Request for consultation
In this innovative approach to introductory psychology, John Cacioppo and Laura Freberg present psychology as an integrative science that's relevant for students of all majors. They use a familiar chapter structure to provide an easy roadmap for the course, while highlighting connections within psychology as well as between psychology and other disciplines. The writing and features are smart and engaging, and consistently illustrate the benefit of using multiple perspectives within psychology. The authors offer the best science possible, including exciting new research findings likely to expand students' understanding of psychology as a scientific field of study. Psychology is evolving into an integrative, multidisciplinary field, and this text offers a way to foster a cohesive understanding of psychology as a highly interconnected and relevant hub science.
- A new feature in each chapter, "Psychology Takes on Real World Problems," meets recommendations of the APA 2014 report, "Strengthening the Common Core of the Introductory Psychology Course." To implement the report's suggested Big Problems approach, each
- A new "Diverse Voices in Psychology" feature in each chapter augments diversity content integrated throughout the textbook -- and reinforces psychology's relevance to the understanding of diversity. Topics include ethics associated with genetic research u
- The science is updated in each chapter, providing the most current possible approach to the subject matter.
- "Thinking Scientifically" models critical-thinking skills by providing students with an opportunity to critique a piece of research.
- "Visual Summary Tables" present key chapter concepts at the end of each major section, with visual cues to help students remember and learn.
- The book explores six integrative perspectives within psychology (social psychology/social neuroscience, cognition, biology/evolution, development, personality/individual differences, and clinical psychology).
- "Psychology as a Hub Science," integrated into the chapter narrative and identified by an icon, broadens the discussion of a topic to include ways in which psychology is engaged in cooperative science with other disciplines. This feature helps undergradua
- Chapter prologues show big picture and micro views of the chapter topic, providing a window into how the integration of psychology as a science provides a larger perspective for the psychology student.
- "Interpersonal Relationships" features show how various psychological perspectives (e.g., methodological, social psychological) can be applied to increase understanding of a single topic. The authors explore a topic students from all walks of life will find interesting and relevant -- how to build and maintain significant social relationships.
- "Connecting to Research" highlights classic and contemporary studies relevant to chapter material.
- "Experiencing Psychology" provides hands-on, experiential activities for students.
2. The Measure of Mind: Methods of Psychology.
3. The Evolving Mind: Nature and Nurture Intertwined.
4. The Biological Mind: The Physical Basis of Behavior.
5. The Perceiving Mind: Sensation and Perception.
6. The Aware Mind: Elements of Consciousness.
7. The Developing Mind: Life-Span Development.
8. The Adaptive Mind: Learning.
9. The Knowing Mind: Memory.
10. The Thinking Mind: Cognition, Language, and Intelligence.
11. The Feeling Mind: Motivation and Emotion.
12. The Individual Mind: Personality and the Self.
13. The Connected Mind: Social Psychology.
14. The Troubled Mind: Psychological Disorders.
15. Healing the Troubled Mind: Therapy.
16. The Healthy Mind: Stress and Coping, Health Psychology, and Positive Psychology.
Cengage provides a range of supplements that are updated in coordination with the main title selection. For more information about these supplements, contact your Learning Consultant.
Instructor's Companion Website
Everything you need for your course in one place! This collection of product-specific lecture and class tools is available online via the instructor resource center at www.cengage.com/login. Access and download materials such as PowerPoint® presentations, the instructor's manual, and more.
All-You-Can-Learn Access with Cengage Unlimited
Cengage Unlimited is the first-of-its-kind digital subscription that gives students total and on-demand access to all the digital learning platforms, ebooks, online homework and study tools Cengage has to offer—in one place, for one price. Students get unlimited access to a library of more than 22,000 products for $119.99 per semester.