Request for consultation
The highly respected DIVERSIFIED HEALTH OCCUPATIONS is now DHO HEALTH SCIENCE UPDATED. The Eighth Edition of this trusted text continues to provide an all-in-one resource for introductory coursework in the health science curriculum. Organized in two parts, the text opens with foundational information required to enter a broad range of health professions, including infection control, first aid, legal requirements, and professionalism. The second part covers fundamental entry-level skills for a range of specific careers, including medical assisting, dental assisting, and more. Carefully revised, the updated Eighth Edition includes information on the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act, new nutritional guidelines from the U.S. Department of Agriculture, updates that correlate with the Enhanced National Healthcare Foundation Standards, and more to prepare students for success in today’s high-demand health science careers.
- In addition to a new name, the Eighth Edition of this proven text includes content updates on topics relevant to today’s health science professionals, including viruses that can cause epidemics and pandemics, new health care careers, technological advances, electronic medical records, information on the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act, and more.
- The text is now even more useful for students preparing for professional success, with career information updated and organized according to the Health Science Career Clusters, as well as new Related Health Careers boxes added to many chapters.
- Information in multiple chapters has been updated in light of relevant national guidelines, including cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR) information aligned to the American Heart Association's new 2015 standards for health care professionals, new nutritional guidelines from the U.S. Department of Agriculture, and instructions on using My Plate to plan a healthy diet.
- New icons highlight chapter content that refers to the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) and electronic health records (EHRs), drawing students’ attention to information relevant to these important aspects of modern professional practice.
- Comprehensive in coverage, this wide-ranging text provides a solid foundation in essential topics such as medical terminology, anatomy and physiology, communication skills, legal requirements, and professional standards and appearance, as well as career-specific skills in popular fields like dental assisting, medical assisting, and nurse assisting.
- Content conforms to the enhanced National Healthcare Foundation Standards, so instructors and students alike can be confident in the relevance of chapter material for today’s health science careers.
- This hands-on, highly practical text includes step-by-step procedures that provide students with detailed guidance on proper techniques related to many health science skills.
- Review questions for each chapter help assess comprehension of key concepts, while a companion workbook provides additional application questions and evaluation sheets for all covered procedures.
- A robust digital package includes varied resources to enhance teaching and learning, including the MindTap® learning solution and a Teacher's Resource Kit (hard copy or digital) with lesson plans, tests, class activities, academic correlations, and visual aids.
1. History and Trends of Health Care.
2. Health Care Systems.
3. Careers in Health Care.
4. Personal and Professional Qualities of a Health Care Worker.
5. Legal and Ethical Responsibilities.
6. Medical Terminology.
7. Anatomy and Physiology.
8. Human Growth and Development.
9. Cultural Diversity.
10. Geriatric Care.
11. Nutrition and Diets.
12. Computers and Technology in Health Care.
13. Medical Math.
14. Promotion of Safety.
15. Infection Control.
16. Vital Signs.
17. First Aid.
18. Preparing for the World of Work.
Part II: SPECIAL HEALTH CARE SKILLS.
19. Dental Assistant Skills.
20. Laboratory Assistant Skills.
21. Medical Assistant Skills.
22. Nurse Assistant Skills.
23. Physical Therapy Skills.
24. Business and Accounting Skills.
“The DHO book has been the backbone of my program for 12 years and I refer to it all the time. It is a great resource for preparing students for competitions and to help them prepare for a job interview. The DHO-Health Science textbook is my go-to resource for everything I teach in Health Science classes.”
“DHO Health Science is an all-inclusive textbook for Health Science instructors. The information it provides will prepare students for a successful future in health care.”
Cengage provides a range of supplements that are updated in coordination with the main title selection. For more information about these supplements, contact your Learning Consultant.
The Instructor’s Manual serves as an instructional resource and provides teaching tips and guidelines, essay questions, answers to review and test questions, key objectives, a glossary, appendices, and exercises for content reinforcement.
Student Companion Website
This website provides a variety of resources to help students review for class, including lecture slides and animations.
Instructor Companion WebSite
Everything you need for your course in one place! This collection of book-specific lecture and class tools is available online via www.cengage.com/login. Access and download PowerPoint presentations, instructor’s manual, videos, and more.
Cengage Learning Testing, powered by Cognero® Instant Access
Cengage Learning Testing Powered by Cognero® is a flexible, online system that allows you to: import, edit, and manipulate content from the text's test bank or elsewhere, including your own favorite test questions; create multiple test versions in an instant; and deliver tests from your LMS, your classroom, or wherever you want.
The student workbook is designed to help students retain key chapter content. Included within this resource are chapter objective questions; key-term definition queries; and multiple choice, fill-in-the-blank, and true-or-false problems.
Teacher's Resource Kit
The Teacher’s Resource Kit includes PowerPoint® presentations for each core textbook chapter, a computerized test bank, the Instructor’s Manual, and other text-specific resources.
The student workbook is design to help you retain key chapter content. Included within this resource are chapter objective questions; key-term definition queries; and multiple choice, fill-in-the-blank, and true-or-false problems.