Request for consultation
This book presents basic introductory material on developing and managing curriculum for early childhood education. Designed as a resource for beginning students and as a reference manual for experienced teachers, the text presents focused, sequential coverage on curriculum for young children--excluding potentially confusing details about related topics that are covered in longer books. Discussions cover such important topics as similarities in existing approaches to early childhood education, how to meet children's needs through curriculum, and planning and organizing curriculum. The Second Edition features enhanced standards coverage, increased material on diversity and multiculturalism, video integration, new information on how child development affects curriculum, and more. CURRICULUM FOR YOUNG CHILDREN also helps students and teachers assess the wealth of activity ideas available from other textbooks, resource manuals, and websites.
- New and improved coverage of NAEYC and DAP standards includes callouts to help students identify where key standards are addressed in the text. A new standards correlation chart provides a convenient reference guide to in-text coverage.
- Increased coverage of diversity and multiculturalism throughout the text reflects the changing cultural makeup of the modern classroom.
- New content includes enhanced material on how child development affects curriculum.
- Current coverage of key topics includes new information on outdoor play, environmental sustainability, and diverse family involvement.
- A new vibrant two-color design helps students identify key terms, activity guide callouts, video integration, and other features. Photos, the majority of which are new, help to illustrate important concepts.
- A model for managing curriculum activities and resources helps teachers organize their time, and consequently have more time for the children.
- Diversity issues are included throughout the book rather than isolated in a single chapter.
- Curriculum Activity Guides are available on the website as well as integrated into the text.
- A consistent focus on curriculum provides the essentials without overwhelming readers with related, but potentially confusing, information.
- Introductory material on curriculum provides a solid foundation for users with or without previous knowledge of child growth and development.
2. Considering Children's Needs: Facilitating Early Childhood Skill Development.
3. Early Curriculum Basics: Creativity, Play, and the Environment.
4. Environments for Young Children: Places for Curriculum.
5. Designing a Managed Curriculum: Beginning with Review and a Plan.
6. Activities for Young Children: Managing Good Ideas.
7. Physical Development: Health, Safety, and Nutrition; Movement; and Music and Rhythm Activities.
8. Affective and Aesthetic Development Activities for Young Children.
9. Cognitive and Language Development Activities for Young Children.
10. Professional Growth: Success with Curriculum Management.
Appendix A. Curriculum Activity Guides.
Appendix B. Reproducible Sample Forms.
All-You-Can-Learn Access with Cengage Unlimited
Cengage Unlimited is the first-of-its-kind digital subscription that gives students total and on-demand access to all the digital learning platforms, ebooks, online homework and study tools Cengage has to offer—in one place, for one price. Students get unlimited access to a library of more than 22,000 products for $119.99 per term.