Request for consultation
Renowned for its integration of rich ethnographies into the core text, CULTURAL ANTHROPOLOGY, 11th Edition provides excellent coverage of cultures around the world. Critical thinking and issues of power, gender, stratification, and ethnicity continue to be highlighted in this edition, supported by features and pedagogy designed to get students thinking about the world in which they live. Available with InfoTrac® Student Collections http://gocengage.com/infotrac.
- Each chapter now begins with a series of learning objectives that orient students and focus their attention by explaining the tasks they should be able to complete after reading the chapter.
- InfoTrac® Student Collections are specialized databases expertly drawn from the Gale Academic One library. Each InfoTrac® Student Collection enhances the student learning experience in the specific course area related to the product. These specialized databases allow access to hundreds of scholarly and popular publications - all reliable sources - including journals, encyclopedias, and academic reports. Learn more and access at: http://gocengage.com/infotrac.
- The order of the chapters remains the same as in previous editions. However, the internal organization of chapters on kinship; marriage, family, and domestic groups; gender; political organization; and stratification has been substantially changed. The new organization makes the chapters easier for students to follow and provides new data for classroom debate and discussion.
- Each chapter now ends with several critical thinking questions, useful for self-study or essay assignments, designed to raise broad and often challenging issues about the material covered.
- This edition has been streamlined by moving the human evolution chapter to the online instructor resource website, where this important material is available for instructors wishing to use it. The revised and condensed chapter includes new and updated on material about early Homo sapiens culture, a reevaluation of the Homo floresiensis material, and more.
- This edition includes new material on numerous topics, including the close relationship among all currently living humans (Chapter 1); semiotics as well as the denotative and connotative meanings of words (Chapter 4); industrialized farming plus an increased emphasis on situating each society that is discussed in its historical context (Chapter 5); social class and its relationship to marriage and family size (Chapter 8); the nation state and globalization (Chapter 10); and the problems of indigenous people in a globalizing world (Chapter 15).
- Chapter 1 includes a new ethnography on Dangerous Fields, which gives you a sense of what it is like to do anthropology under difficult conditions, and raises important questions about anthropological ethics. A new ethnography on the history of the globalization of food in Belize appears in Chapter 6.
- Helpful features for study and review include a running glossary at the bottom of each page, which defines terms as they are introduced; chapter summaries, organized as a series of questions and responses designed to help students engage with the material and promote critical-thinking skills; and an appendix on major anthropological theories.
- "Anthropology Makes a Difference" features emphasize applied anthropology in such areas as medicine, forensics, development, and advocacy. The boxes drive home a key message of the text--that the study of anthropology is important and the methods learned can and do make us better world citizens. They explore the future of anthropology as a discipline, show its usefulness in addressing real world issues today, and encourage students to consider a degree in anthropology by illuminating interesting examples from the field.
- Ethnographic examples are used extensively within the body of the text, providing interesting and insightful information designed to provide students with a context for thinking about more abstract concepts. Accompanied by a locator map, each Ethnography box also includes critical thinking questions that tie the discussion firmly to the material presented in the chapter and open opportunities for discussion of anthropology's role in the modern world.
- A chapter-ending feature, "The Global and the Local," emphasizes the importance of the global context for contemporary anthropology. Topics include anthropologists and the idea of Universal Human Rights (Chapter 2), the English Only movement in the U.S. (Chapter 4), the globalization of food (Chapter 5), transmigration (Chapter 7), the changing class system of China (Chapter 11), increasing religious diversity in the U.S. (Chapter 12), world music (Chapter 13), and the degree to which technological processes mean that economic and social opportunities are available to all people (Chapter 15).
1. Anthropology and Human Diversity.
2. Doing Cultural Anthropology.
3. The Idea of Culture.
Part II: FAMILIES IN SOCIETY.
5. Making a Living.
8. Marriage, Family, and Domestic Groups.
Part III: EQUALITIES AND INEQUALITIES.
10. Political Organization.
Part IV: SYMBOLS AND MEANINGS.
13. Creative Expression: Anthropology and the Arts.
Part V: CULTURE CHANGE.
14. Power, Conquest, and a World System.
15. Culture Change and the Modern World.
A Brief Historical Guide to Anthropological Theory.
Cengage provides a range of supplements that are updated in coordination with the main title selection. For more information about these supplements, contact your Learning Consultant.
Online Instructor's Manual with Test Bank
Online Instructor's Manual with Test Bank for Nanda/Warms' CULTURAL ANTHROPOLOGY, 11th Edition INSTRUCTOR DESCRIPTION: Prepare for class more quickly and effectively with resources such as learning objectives, detailed chapter outlines, suggested assignments, and film suggestions. A test bank with more than 50 questions per chapter, validated by expert reviewers, saves you time creating tests.
CourseMate Instant Access
Interested in a simple way to complement your text and course content with study and practice materials? Cengage Learning's Anthropology CourseMate brings course concepts to life with interactive learning, study, and exam-preparation tools that support the printed textbook. Watch student comprehension soar as your class works with the printed textbook and the textbook-specific website. Anthropology CourseMate goes beyond the book to deliver what you need!
CourseMate Instant Access
Cengage Learning's CourseMate brings course concepts to life with interactive learning, study, and exam preparation tools that support the printed textbook. Maximize your course success with the integrated eBook and chapter-specific learning tools that include flashcards, quizzes, videos, and more in your CourseMate. Key Features: Interactive eBook, Engagement Tracker, Learning Objectives, Tutorial Quizzes, Glossary and Flashcards, and Web Links and References.
Flash Cards, 1 term (6 months) Instant Access
Flash cards are effective study aids especially when you only have a limited amount of time. These flash cards work with your title and can help you to review and learn essential terms and key concepts. This is instant access product; at the completion of your purchase, simply go to "My Home" and gain immediate access to your product. Note: If you have purchased CourseMate for your title, flash cards are already included.
Quizzing, 1 term (6 months) Instant Access
Quizzes are effective study aids especially when you only have a limited amount of time. These quizzes work with your title and can help you to review and learn essential terms and key concepts. This is instant access product; at the completion of your purchase, simply go to "My Home" and gain immediate access to your product. Note: If you have purchased CourseMate for your title, quizzes are already included.
Quizzing with Flash Cards, 1 term (6 months) Instant Access
Flash cards and quizzes are effective study aids especially when you only have a limited amount of time. These flash cards and quizzes work with your title and can help you to review and learn essential terms and key concepts. This is instant access product; at the completion of your purchase, simply go to "My Home" and gain immediate access to your product. Note: If you have purchased CourseMate for your title, flash cards and quizzes are already included.