Request for consultation
Extremely practical, CRIMINAL PROCEDURE: LAW and PRACTICE is a favorite among instructors and students alike because of its clear and crisp writing style, extensive use of engaging pedagogy, and unique ability to cover criminal procedure completely and accurately without bogging students down in irrelevant minutiae. The completely updated Tenth Edition is as relevant as ever for future law enforcement professionals with new features, insightful legal information, current topics, and the most recent Supreme Court rulings. It also offers expanded coverage of such high-profile issues as use of force, stop and frisk, racial profiling, seizures of cell phone messages, and many other timely topics. The text continues to provide a wealth of case briefs, hypothetical cases, real-world examples, sample police forms, and learning tools.
- Completely current, the tenth edition of this popular criminal procedures text reflects the latest issues and developments from the field. Expanded coverage of today's high profile issues includes detailed discussions of use of force, vehicle searches, stop and frisk, racial profiling, seizures of text/email messages, the use of technology in law enforcement, and many other relevant topics.
- MindTap for Criminal Procedure: Law and Practice, 10th Edition has met the Quality Matters Review Standards and is Quality Matters Certified. For more information, visit qualitymatters.org.
- Updated case coverage keeps pace with the most current laws and procedures. New cases include Navarette v. California (2014), which determined that an anonymous tip about a seemingly intoxicated motorist justified a traffic stop to investigate (Ch. 5); Maryland v. King, which concluded that police may collect DNA evidence from any arrestee (Ch. 6); Florence v. Board of Chosen Freeholders of the County of Burlington (2012) on the constitutionality of strip searches (Ch. 6); and Missouri v. McNeely (2013) on the need for a warrant before taking a drunken-driving suspect's blood sample (Ch. 7).
- A new feature in each chapter, "Myth vs. Reality," debunks common misconceptions about criminal procedure; for instance, that a police officer may conduct a frisk after he or she makes a stop based on reasonable suspicion, or that the sole purpose of the exclusionary rule is the deterrence of police misconduct.
- The "In Action" features (which present realistic scenarios on such topics as stop and frisk, the exclusionary rule, and license and registration checkpoints along with discussion questions to encourage critical thinking) and "Highlight" boxes (which briefly summarize key aspects of a law or criminal procedure policy as it relates to the chapter topic) have been updated.
- To provide maximum learning reinforcement, each chapter begins with learning objectives that are carefully matched to end-of-chapter summary sections and linked to corresponding quiz/test items in the accompanying Instructor's Manual and Test Bank.
- Helping readers sharpen their critical-thinking skills, "In Action" boxes and brief hypothetical cases in every chapter present practical scenarios and thought-provoking discussion questions that challenge students to apply the chapter's key concepts to real-life examples and arrive at well-reasoned conclusions. These features have been updated and revised for the tenth edition.
- A wealth of examples from real-world situations faced by law enforcement officials provides a practical, complete, and accurate look at legal guidelines on criminal procedure without bogging students down in minutiae. Extremely reader-friendly with a clear presentation, this text makes law enforcement concepts easy to understand and apply.
- Rich pedagogical aids integrated throughout the text include introductory chapter outlines, key terms, definitions of legal terms, key cases, hypothetical cases, and case briefs. The U.S. Constitution is included in an appendix for easy reference.
2. Overview of the Criminal Justice Process.
3. Probable Cause and Reasonable Suspicion.
4. The Exclusionary Rule.
5. Stop and Frisk and Stationhouse Detention.
6. Arrests and Use of Force.
7. Searches and Seizures of Things.
8. Motor Vehicle Stops, Searches, and Inventories.
9. Plain View, Open Fields, Abandonment, and Border Searches.
10. Lineups and Other Means of Pretrial Identification.
11. Confessions and Admissions: Miranda v. Arizona.
12. Basic Constitutional Rights of the Accused during Trial.
13. Sentencing, the Death Penalty, and Other Forms of Punishment.
14. Legal Liabilities of Law Enforcement Officers.
15. Electronic Surveillance and the War on Terror.
"In a step by step manner this textbook presents critical Criminal Justice concepts and issues that must be understood by any student wishing to understand the driving forces within all Criminal Justice professions. The foundation is laid well and then built upon with topics and concepts of increasing complexity."
"The three major strengths of this text are its easy readability, its comprehensive coverage of the material, and the end-of-chapter summaries and questions."
Cengage provides a range of supplements that are updated in coordination with the main title selection. For more information about these supplements, contact your Learning Consultant.
Online Instructor's Resource Manual
Streamline and maximize the effectiveness of your course preparation using such resources as brief chapter outlines, chapter summaries, extensively detailed chapter lecture outlines, lecture suggestions, video suggestions, and creative lecture and teaching suggestions. This manual also contains student learning objectives, key terms, essay/discussion questions, student activities, discussion exercises, and Internet exercises.
Online PowerPoint® Slides
Helping you make your lectures more engaging while effectively reaching your visually oriented students, these handy Microsoft PowerPoint® slides outline the chapters of the main text in a classroom-ready presentation. The PowerPoint® slides are updated to reflect the content and organization of the new edition of the text.
Cengage Learning Testing, powered by Cognero Instant Access
Cengage Learning Testing Powered by Cognero® is a flexible, online system that allows you to: import, edit, and manipulate content from the text's test bank or elsewhere, including your own favorite test questions; create multiple test versions in an instant; and deliver tests from your LMS, your classroom, or wherever you want.