Request for consultation
Building on the strengths of prior editions, CRIMINAL PROCEDURE, Seventh Edition, includes updated cases and added real-world examples. This successful and time-tested text couples a classic organization and traditional presentation of case law with cutting-edge coverage of recent trends in law and procedure. The authors' combined academic and practical legal experience provides students with firsthand insights into the American legal system, while ample pedagogy and uniquely accessible writing make the text very student friendly. Utilizing extensive case material, this book covers the historical background of criminal procedure and includes the latest Supreme Court decisions and other developments in criminal justice today. This is one of two updated "splits" of the combined CRIMINAL LAW AND PROCEDURE, Eighth Edition (c. 2014), by the same authors.
- Updated throughout, the seventh edition offers new information on Supreme Court decisions, securities fraud, terrorism, standards of proof, WMD/The PATRIOT Act, immigration law, and other timely topics.
- A new boxed feature, "Jurisprudence," summarizes important Supreme Court decisions pertaining to specific issues of criminal procedure.
- Key terms are now defined in the margin, providing students with a useful context for learning concepts as well as a convenient study and review aid.
- Each chapter includes a listing of all of the key cases covered in the chapter.
- "Law Enforcement and Criminal Procedure" sections examine legal procedures as they relate to the discussion at hand, such as search and seizure, the criminal trial, and sentencing and punishment.
- Beginning with Chapter 3, "Case in Point" boxes provide concise summaries of cases that illustrate key concepts.
- Sidebar discussions furnish relevant information without disrupting the flow of the text, while a set of "Questions for Thought and Discussion" enable students to test their understanding.
- Each chapter opens with a vignette featuring a high profile or controversial case to capture students' interest and help them see the relevance and real-world application of the material.
- High profile topics covered include the use of TASERs by police, liability of police officers, changes to the Miranda warning, the death penalty, standards of appellate review, motions practice, rules of evidence, and DNA evidence as a basis for post-conviction relief.
- A "Hypothetical Problems" section at the end of each chapter presents scenarios that challenge students to apply what they have learned to real-life situations. The topics are also ideal for prompting classroom discussion or for writing assignments.
- Each chapter begins with bulleted learning objectives, which are matched to end-of-chapter summary sections and linked to corresponding quiz or test items in the accompanying Test Bank to provide maximum learning reinforcement.
1. Fundamentals of Criminal Law and Procedure.
2. Organization of the Criminal Justice System.
Part II: LAW ENFORCEMENT AND CRIMINAL PROCEDURE.
3. Search and Seizure.
4. Arrest, Interrogation, and Identification Procedures.
5. The Pretrial Process.
6. The Criminal Trial.
7. Sentencing and Punishment.
8. Appeal and Post-Conviction Relief.
Appendix A: The Constitution of the United States.
Cengage provides a range of supplements that are updated in coordination with the main title selection. For more information about these supplements, contact your Learning Consultant.
Online Instructor's Resouce Manual with Test Bank
The Instructor's Resource Manual with Test Bank--updated to reflect changes in the main text--includes learning objectives, detailed chapter outlines, key terms, list of relevant court cases, questions for review and discussion, and media suggestions. Each chapter's test bank contains questions in multiple-choice, true–false, fill-in-the-blank, essay, and critical thinking formats, with a full answer key. The test bank is coded to the learning objectives that appear in the main text, and includes the section in the main text where the answers can be found. In addition, the learning objective that each question correlates to is cited in the Answer Key.