Request for consultation
CRIMINAL LAW AND PROCEDURE FOR THE PARALEGAL: A SYSTEMS APPROACH, 4th Edition equips readers with a solid understanding of the principles of criminal law as well as the skills for daily practice in a law office. Thorough yet succinct, the student-friendly text presents material in a clear, logical, outline format. It also provides many opportunities for students to apply both critical thinking and law-office practice skills. The text enriches learning by providing insights into crime, punishment, criminal justice standards for prosecution, defense, and the court, and the competing policies behind the law and judicial decisions. The unique "systems folder" approach enables students to build an impressive practice system of topically arranged forms, legal principles, rules, checklists, and other materials. The text delivers an excellent blend of theory with practice--giving students a strong foundation to build on.
- Thoroughly revised and completely current, the 4th Edition includes updated statistics throughout, adds new exhibits and examples, and provides expanded explanations to case law illustrations.
- Offering thorough coverage, the new edition provides more statutes from the federal system as well as a variety of states.
- Updated case law includes Supreme Court decisions from 2010.
- Revised Chapter 9 now includes more history and updates for search and seizure.
- All-new Chapter 10 is devoted specifically to the exceptions to the search warrant requirement.
- More reader-friendly than ever, the text includes expanded explanations on how to effectively add information to student system folders.
- A new Instructor Resources CD provides an Instructor Manual, a computerized test bank in ExamView and PowerPoint presentations
- Numerous hands-on learning and practice resources help students sharpen their legal reasoning and problem-solving skills.
- The book's thorough coverage is enhanced with its impressive collection of ethics standards, web resources, practice tips, forms, documents, checklists, diagrams, tables, and thought-provoking quotations.
- Sample jury instructions and statutes are included throughout the text to illustrate elements of crimes, for comparisons with your state instructions, and as a resource in research and drafting assignments.
- Providing a clear, concise, yet thorough presentation of concepts and skills, CRIMINAL LAW AND PROCEDURE FOR THE PARALEGAL: A SYSTEMS APPROACH, 4th Edition enhances student comprehension of criminal law and improves understanding of legal principles and important exceptions.
- Extremely relevant, realistic case scenarios and assignments simulate the law office setting and real-world paralegal practice. Numerous examples of real court decisions from many jurisdictions illustrate concepts and variations in the law as they played out in real life.
Table of Cases .
1. Foundations of Criminal Law.
2. Administration of Criminal Justice and the Role of the Paralegal.
3. Components of a Crime.
4. Crimes Against Persons and Crimes Against Habitation.
5. Crimes Against Property, Public Order and Safety, Public Morals, and Justice and
6. Inchoate and Organized Crimes.
8. Intake and Drafting the Complaint.
9. Search and Seizure: History, Warrant Requirements, Legislative Developments and
10. Search and Seizure: Exceptions to the Warrant Requirement.
11. Confessions and Pretrial Identification Procedures.
12. Pretrial: Initial Appearance to Preliminary Hearing.
13. Pretrial: Grand Jury to Pretrial Conference.
14. Trial: Rights, Procedure, Tasks.
15. Sentencing, Punishment, and Review.
Appendix A: System Folder Contents.
Appendix B: Excerpts from the Constitution of the United States of America.
"Another strength of the McCord text is the use of case law throughout the text...the exhibits in the text are wonderful...The internet exercises are extremely well put-together. The exercises also force the student to use real life applicability to solve problems...Even without the addition of the FRE in the appendix I would adopt this text because it has proved to be a more comprehensive text that the one that I am currently using."
"I absolutely love the cases. They provide a great foundational resource to work with during the course of a term or semester. So many texts overlook the value of case scenarios and it's great to see them incorporated into the text as the author has done. This, in my mind, is one thing that truly distinguishes this text from the average text on the market."
Cengage provides a range of supplements that are updated in coordination with the main title selection. For more information about these supplements, contact your Learning Consultant.
CourseMate Instant Access
WebTutor™ on Angel Instant Access
CourseMate Instant Access
Cengage Learning's CourseMate brings course concepts to life with interactive learning, study, and exam preparation tools that support the printed textbook. Maximize your course success with the integrated eBook and chapter-specific learning tools that include flashcards, quizzes, videos, and more in your CourseMate. Key Features: Interactive eBook, Engagement Tracker, Learning Objectives, Tutorial Quizzes, Glossary and Flashcards, and Web Links and References.