Request for consultation
Introduce students to the essentials of substantive criminal law and criminal procedure in a single book. Bacigal/Tate's CRIMINAL LAW AND PROCEDURE: AN OVERVIEW, 4TH EDITION will challenge students with a clear and concise presentation of legal concepts while equipping them with the procedural knowledge to succeed in a variety of career settings. The streamlined organization is suitable for a single-course overview of the criminal justice system, while the topic coverage is thorough enough to support two separate courses covering substantive and procedural law. This book first defines criminal responsibility and addresses major felonies recognized in most, if not all, jurisdictions. The second half details procedural aspects of the entire criminal justice system, from arrest to appeal and habeas corpus, with special emphasis on the U.S. Constitution's fourth, fifth, and sixth amendments. A wealth of summaries and excerpts from court cases emphasize the practical application of this book's narrative account. This edition introduces some emerging topics and increases coverage of ethical issues, such as the impact of electronic communications on the discovery process. New Learning Objectives and new Sidebar features draw attention to key concepts, while concept summary charts, new practice exercises, essays and integrated discussion questions help students apply what they've learned. A Companion Website provides complete online instructional resources, including updates on rulings, to help you introduce criminal law and procedure with the detail students need for success.
- NEW LEARNING OBJECTIVES FOCUS READERS' ATTENTION ON KEY CONCEPTS WITHIN EACH CHAPTER. Specific Learning Objectives reinforce the most important concepts and law practices within each chapter to direct students' review and study.
- NEW PRACTICE EXERCISES AND ESSAYS HELP READERS APPLY CONCEPTS IN HANDS-ON ENVIRONMENT. Updated discussion questions and practice exercises encourage critical thinking about key legal issues. Two new essay assignments in every chapter provide opportunities to frame detailed arguments and demonstrate comprehension.
- NEW "SIDEBAR" FEATURES ADD CURRENT PERSPECTIVE ON KEY LEGAL CONCEPTS. Newly-created Sidebars highlight and clarify significant concepts from the chapter to increase legal understanding.
- FRESH EMPHASIS ON EXCERPTS OF STATUTES HELPS READERS FULLY UNDERSTAND LEGAL CHANGES AND RULINGS. The authors have thoroughly updated the text with new excerpts and explanations to ensure students gain a full understanding of criminal law practices today.
- UPDATED ILLUSTRATIONS, SAMPLE FORMS, AND MEANINGFUL EXHIBITS CLARIFY KEY POINTS. Recognized for a clear, reader-focused presentation, this edition continues to clarify even the most difficult legal concepts and rulings with useful illustrations, sample forms, and new informative exhibits.
- UPDATED COMPANION WEBSITE PROVIDES INSTRUCTIONAL RESOURCES AND THE LATEST RULINGS. The Companion Website is more helpful than ever with all of your Instructor Resources at your fingertips, including an online Instructor's Manual, PowerPoint® slides, computerized Test Bank and more. You'll also find the latest relevant Supreme Court decisions to keep your course as current as possible.
- COVERAGE OF CONTEMPORARY TOPICS ADDRESSES ISSUES IN THE NEWS TODAY. Students will find discussions of electronic video surveillance and the Patriot Act, the Model Penal Code, terrorism, the "federalization" of criminal procedure, the right to die and assisted suicide as well as coverage of the triggerman concept in capital cases.
- PRACTICAL APPLICATIONS DEMONSTRATE THE BOOK'S THEORIES AT WORK IN PROFESSIONAL SETTINGS. Jury instructions, sample documents and other exhibits and memorable examples demonstrate how theories discussed in each chapter are actually applied in law today.
- CONCEPT SUMMARY CHARTS PROVIDE QUICK REFERENCE TO ESSENTIAL TOPICS. Readers are able to efficiently compare and contrast key points covered in each chapter with the help of useful Concept Summaries.
- COMPANION WEBSITE INCLUDES A WEALTH OF ONLINE RESOURCES. Your students will find additional trusted online resources and the latest court rulings for further exploration and study on the book's invaluable Companion Website.
- STREAMLINED, CLEAR PRESENTATION CHALLENGES STUDENTS WHILE EQUIPPING THEM TO SUCCEED. This text effectively balances brevity and clarity with a thorough presentation that focuses on the concepts and practices your student need to understand.
- BRIEF EXCERTS FROM IMPORTANT COURT CASES ENSURE COMPREHENSION. Excerpts from court cases throughout this book help students fully understand important rulings without extraneous, and possibly distracting, detail.
- WEALTH OF CASES ILLUSTRATE KEY CONCEPTS. New and varied cases throughout this edition clearly demonstrate legal principles and concepts in actual practice today.
2. Essential Elements of Crimes.
3. Parties to a Crime and Inchoate Offenses.
5. Crimes Against a Person.
6. Crimes Against Property and Habitation.
7. Crimes Against Public Order and Public Morality.
8. Introduction to Procedure and the Right to Counsel.
9. Seizures of a Person and Identification Procedures.
10. Search and Seizure of Property.
11. Government Monitoring of Communication and the Fourth Amendment Exclusionary Rule.
12. Interrogation and Self-Incrimination.
13. Preliminary Stages of the Prosecution.
14. Pretrial Motions.
16. Verdict, Punishment, and Judicial Review.