Request for consultation
CRIMINAL EVIDENCE: PRINCIPLES AND CASES, 9th Edition, delivers the key rules of evidence in criminal matters as well as their interpretations and applications, and is especially useful for students planning a career in law enforcement or law. Comprehensive without being encyclopedic or overwhelming, the text gives students the rationale behind the rules and demonstrates how law enforcement officers apply them on the job. Authors Gardner and Anderson include many of the features that popularized their best-selling CRIMINAL LAW, such as high-interest examples, "key concepts" boxes, and case excerpts that engage students and make the topics more relevant.
- "You Be the Judge," a new feature in many chapters, invites students to don the trial judge's robe and decide motions to admit or exclude evidence.
- New news-based examples, interspersed throughout the text, engage students while helping them understand and retain concepts.
- Many new boxes, charts, and case studies illustrate new and important developments in the rules of criminal evidence.
- This edition includes coverage of up-to-the-minute topics such as obtaining evidence from computers and smart phones, attaching GPS devices to automobiles, and using social media as evidence in criminal trials.
- Chapter-ending material includes a list of key terms to emphasize use of the proper vocabulary (and facilitate study and review) as well as a list of key cases presented in the chapter.
- Give students a head start on finding a career in the criminal justice system with CRIMINAL EVIDENCE: PRINCIPLES AND CASES, 9th Edition, a concise yet thorough text that's ideal for a traditional, semester-long course.
- Expose your students to brief excerpts from key cases rather than overwhelming them with longer sections of black letter law.
- Intrigue your students with the clear, engaging, and accessible style this text is known for, along with highly informative examples of the major points in evidence law.
- Ensure that students understand the most important topics taught in your course with the highlighted and boxed key concepts throughout the text, which are especially helpful when students cover the more difficult concepts.
- Learning objectives help students focus on key subjects and concepts.
1. History and Development of the Law of Criminal Evidence.
2. Important Aspects of the American Criminal Justice System.
3. Using Evidence to Determine Guilt or Innocence.
4. Direct and Circumstantial Evidence and the Use of Inferences.
Part II: WITNESSES AND THEIR TESTIMONY.
5. Witnesses and the Testimony of Witnesses.
6. Judicial Notice, Privileges of Witnesses, and Shield Laws.
7. The Use of Hearsay in the Courtroom.
8. The Confrontation Clause and Exceptions to the Hearsay Rule.
Part III: WHEN EVIDENCE CANNOT BE USED BECAUSE OF POLICE MISTAKES OR MISCONDUCT.
9. The Exclusionary Rule.
10. Where the Exclusionary Rule Does Not Apply.
11. "Special Needs" and Administrative Searches.
12. Obtaining Statements and Confessions for Use as Evidence.
13. The Law Governing Identification Evidence.
14. Obtaining Physical and Other Evidence.
15. Obtaining Evidence by Use of Search Warrants, from Computers, Wiretapping, or Dogs Trained to Indicate an Alert.
Part IV: CRIME-SCENE, DOCUMENTARY, AND SCIENTIFIC EVIDENCE.
16. The Crime Scene, the Chain of Custody Requirement, and the Use of Fingerprints and Trace Evidence.
17. Videotapes, Photographs, Documents, and Writings as Evidence.
18. Scientific Evidence.
Appendix A: Sections of the U.S. Constitution.
Appendix B: Finding and Analyzing Cases.
Appendix C: Federal Rules of Evidence.
Cengage provides a range of supplements that are updated in coordination with the main title selection. For more information about these supplements, contact your Learning Consultant.
Online Instructor's Manual with Lesson Plans and Test Bank
Updated to reflect new content in the main text, the manual includes learning objectives, key terms, a detailed chapter outline, a chapter summary, discussion topics, student activities, and a test bank in which 30% of the questions have been revised. Each chapter's test bank contains questions in multiple-choice, true/false, fill-in-the-blank, and essay formats--with a full answer key. The test bank is coded to the learning objectives that appear in the main text, and includes the page numbers in the main text where the answers can be found. Finally, each test bank question has been carefully reviewed by experienced criminal justice instructors for quality, accuracy, and content coverage. Our Instructor Approved seal, which appears on the front cover, is our assurance that you are working with an assessment and grading resource of the highest caliber. The manual is available for download on the password-protected instructor book companion website and a print copy is available upon request.
Online PowerPoint® Slides
Helping you make your lectures more engaging while effectively reaching your visually oriented students, these handy Microsoft® PowerPoint® slides outline the chapters of the main text in a classroom-ready presentation. Available for download on the password-protected instructor book companion website or upon request, the PowerPoint slides are updated to reflect the content and organization of the new edition.
Cengage Learning Testing, powered by Cognero® Instant Access
Cengage Learning Testing Powered by Cognero® is a flexible, online system that allows you to: import, edit, and manipulate test bank content from the CRIMINAL EVIDENCE test bank or elsewhere, including your own favorite test questions; create multiple test versions in an instant; and deliver tests from your LMS, your classroom, or wherever you want.
CourseMate™, 1 term (6 months) Instant Access
CourseMate brings course concepts to life with interactive learning, study, and exam preparation tools that support the printed textbook.
CourseMate™, 1 term (6 months) Instant Access
The more you study, the better the results. Make the most of your study time by accessing everything you need to succeed in one place. Read your textbook, take notes, review flashcards, watch videos, and take practice quizzes-online with CourseMate. Access to this product is valid for 6 months after initial log-in for CourseMate Instant Access for Gardner/Anderson's Criminal Evidence: Principles and Cases, 9th Edition.