Request for consultation
COUNSELING CHILDREN presents a practical and evidence-based approach for working with children in a helping relationship. The authors focus on building a solid theoretical base as well as on translating classical and updated theories into practice. This easy-to-read guide includes useful strategies and case studies to provide students with a realistic look at the counseling field. It also presents a development approach to counseling that considers age and stage differences in counseling children, adolescents, and adults. To further prepare students for their careers, the ninth edition includes 2014 ACA ethical standards, best practice guidelines for typical and atypical children's problems, and fresh ideas that facilitate understanding of the world of the child. Expanded coverage of children who have special concerns and of family interventions provides readers with effective ways to deliver interventions across multiple settings.
- COUNSELING CHILDREN incorporates the 2014 American Counseling Association ethical code, ensuring that readers have an up-to-date review of the standards of counseling practices.
- Counselors are encountering an increased prevalence in their practices of working with children with disabilities and special concerns. To prepare readers for dealing appropriately and effectively with these children, the ninth edition includes descriptions of diagnoses as well as best practice guidelines for children with emotional disturbances and challenging life situations such as homelessness, abuse, and deployed parents.
- Equipping students with a broad foundation of knowledge, COUNSELING CHILDREN presents twelve established counseling theories used when working with children and their families, as well as techniques and interventions based on those theories.
- CACREP-aligned learning objectives at the beginning of each chapter help to focus students' attention on important information as they read.
- The updated text features in-depth practice information on issues and techniques in counseling children, such as play therapy and ethical and legal issues.
- Each theory chapter includes information on how to use that theory, as well as website listings that provide students with further resources for the information discussed in the text. Most chapters include the play therapy techniques associated with the theory. Case studies and step-by-step guides help seasoned and beginning counselors develop their skills.
2. Introduction to a Child's World.
3. The Counseling Process.
4. Legal and Ethical Considerations.
Part II: COUNSELING THEORIES AND TECHNIQUES.
5. Psychoanalytic Counseling.
6. Person-Centered Counseling.
7. Gestalt Therapy.
8. Behavioral Counseling.
9. Reality Therapy: Counseling with Choice Theory.
10. Brief Counseling: Solution Focused.
11. Individual Psychology.
12. Rational-Emotive-Behavioral Therapy.
13. Cognitive Behavioral Therapy.
14. Transactional Analysis.
15. Family Counseling.
16. Consultation and Collaboration.
17. Play Therapy.
18. Group Counseling with Children.
19. Counseling Children with Special Concerns.
20. Counseling Children with Special Needs.
"The authors' writing style is very easy to comprehend and comprehensively done. The inclusion of the top theoretical approaches to use when counseling children was outstanding."
Cengage provides a range of supplements that are updated in coordination with the main title selection. For more information about these supplements, contact your Learning Consultant.
Online Instructor's Manual
The Instructor's Manual (IM) contains a variety of resources to aid instructors in preparing and presenting text material in a manner that meets their personal preferences and course needs. It presents chapter-by-chapter suggestions and resources to enhance and facilitate learning.
Online Test Bank
For assessment support, the updated test bank includes true/false, multiple-choice, short answer, and essay questions for each chapter.
These vibrant Microsoft® PowerPoint® lecture slides for each chapter assist you with your lecture by providing concept coverage using content directly from the textbook.
CourseMate, 1 term (6 months) Instant Access
Available with the text, Cengage Learning's CourseMate brings course concepts to life with interactive learning, study, and exam preparation tools that support the printed textbook. CourseMate includes an integrated eBook, glossaries, flashcards, quizzes, videos, and more -- as well as Engagement Tracker, a first-of-its-kind tool that monitors student engagement in the course.
CourseMate, 1 term (6 months) Instant Access
Available with the text, Cengage Learning's CourseMate brings course concepts to life with interactive learning, study, and exam preparation tools that support the printed textbook. CourseMate includes an integrated eBook, glossaries, flashcards, quizzes, videos, and more.