Request for consultation
Finally, a resource that bridges the gap between the worlds of green building and residential building codes – Going Green with the International Residential Code. The first book of its kind on the market, this indispensable "code-consultant" takes green building concepts one step further and addresses them as they specifically relate to building codes, and in particular, how they relate to the International Residential Code® (IRC). Because the code books themselves do not directly address green construction issues, this book will help the reader make green decisions about construction methods and materials while staying code compliant. Coverage begins with a Building Code Primer that explores basic permitting and regulatory processes. This fundamental knowledge sets the stage for readers to be better able to successfully incorporate green principles into construction projects and avoid costly mistakes that can occur when key processes are not established and followed beforehand. The book then moves to a review of the IRC®, chapter-by-chapter, identifying areas where provisions of the code will affect a green construction project and where in a project there are green options, as well. Using tried-and-true real-life examples of green construction techniques throughout, this is the perfect guide to understanding building codes in today's quest to go green. Check out our app, DEWALT® Mobile Pro™. This free app is a construction calculator with integrated reference materials and access to hundreds of additional calculations as add-ons. To learn more, visit dewalt.com/mobilepro.
- Enhances value with the inclusion of the Building Code Primer, which offers critical insight into the operation of a building department for anyone seeking building permits.
- Facilitates more accurate, reduced-risk planning and implementation by identifying the impact of code requirements on green construction both before and after the green decision is made.
- Enables the easy integration of green building into plans by uncovering green options and choices that may not otherwise be known or readily spotted.
1. Building Codes 101 - A Primer.
2. Construction Materials, Methods and the IRC.
3. Green Construction Materials, Methods and the IRC.
4. Understanding Alternative Means and Methods (AMM).
5. Site and Building Planning.
6. Foundations and Retaining Walls.
7. Floor Framing Systems.
8. Wall Framing System.
9. Wall Coverings.
10. Roof-Ceiling Framing Systems.
11. Roof Assemblies.
12. Chimneys and Fireplaces.
13. Energy Conservation.
14. Mechanical Systems.
15. Plumbing Systems.
16. Electrical Systems.
Appendix A: Building Conservation / Existing Buildings.
Appendix B: Sample Evaluation Reports.
Appendix C: Alternative Means and Methods Request Form.
Appendix D: Green Building Checklist.