Request for consultation
CONTEMPORARY ISSUES IN BIOETHICS, Eighth Edition provides a complete and authoritative collection of readings on the most important topics covered in the bioethics classroom, including human reproduction; euthanasia and assisted suicide; genetics and genetic testing; the right to health care; organ donation and transplantation; human and animal research; as well as policy and planning for public health threats. Students who use this book will gain a broad understanding of the many sides of these complex issues by reading classic and contemporary essays and landmark legal cases written by influential scholars and judges. Available with InfoTrac® Student Collections http://gocengage.com/infotrac.
- Half of the selections in the Eighth Edition are new and the chapters have been thoroughly revised to reflect rapidly changing biomedical environments. New readings include Paul Lombardo on the lasting implications of Buck v. Bell, John Robertson on the $1000 genome, Art Caplan on the continuing relevance of 20th-century eugenics movements, Deborah Spar on markets and reproduction, Maggie Little on alternative analyses of abortion, Ken Kipnis and James Hodge on the ethics of medical confidentiality, and Dan Brock on conscientious refusal by physicians and pharmacists.
- InfoTrac® Student Collections are specialized databases expertly drawn from the Gale Academic One library. Each InfoTrac® Student Collection enhances the student learning experience in the specific course area related to the product. These specialized databases allow access to hundreds of scholarly and popular publications - all reliable sources - including journals, encyclopedias, and academic reports. Learn more and access at: http://gocengage.com/infotrac.
- This edition offers fresh perspectives on cutting-edge topics and issues. New articles on direct-to-consumer and do-it-yourself genetic testing, abortion and conscientious refusal by physicians and pharmacists, global pandemics, medical confidentiality, reproductive technologies, organ donation and transplantation, and synthetic biology and nanotechnology are included.
- Revised introductions offer rigorous, accessible analysis of policy-related issues in science, health care, and biomedical research.
- The book opens with a rigorous and accessible overview of ethical theory, including both classical theories and contemporary approaches, which provide students with a firm intellectual foundation for the study of bioethics.
- Timely readings on a variety of real-world cases ensure that readers grasp the latest topics and developments in bioethics.
- Attention to international policy offers students an opportunity to discuss bioethical issues from a global as well as a national perspective.
- Clear, detailed chapter introductions provide an overview of the topics covered in the chapter and survey the major issues addressed in the chapter's readings.
- Up-to-date bibliographies at the end of each chapter provide additional source material and a guide for out-of-class research.
2. The Patient-Professional Relationship.
3. Genetics and Genomics.
5. End of Life.
6. Organ Transplantation.
7. Biomedical Research, Biotechnology and Bioscience.
8. Justice and Health.
9. Public Health.
"This is by far the best text in bioethics for upper level and graduate courses. It's compendious and thorough and includes those all important court opinions connected with the major issues. The text is always improved and updated with each new edition while retaining the gold of the past editions."
"The indispensable collection of essays for physicians, philosophers, genetic counselors, and public health professionals."
"Valuable anthology of many of the major papers in contemporary bioethics which serves both to keep it relevant and to maintain its critical edge."
"A text that entices and encourages discussion regarding social, political and economic issues to consider as we adopt a new health care system."
"A comprehensive but concise overview of major issues and perspectives in bioethics that includes summaries of key cases, excerpts from important theoretical approaches and policies, and attempts at practical resolutions of contemporary problems."