Request for consultation
Contemporary Business Reports, 5th Edition enables readers to master the skills of producing and presenting business reports. This text is a step-by-step guide to creating all types of simple and complex reports, such as trip reports, status reports, feasibility studies, proposals, analytical reports, and more. Starting with writing fundamentals, readers will work through the processes of planning, drafting, revising, editing, and producing a variety of simple reports. Then, the text focuses on mastering techniques for planning and conducting research to address more complex business problems, and ends in a comprehensive analytical report. Throughout, readers learn presentation techniques and skills they can use to communicate orally the information contained in your reports. This edition also includes new content addressing the impact of and use of electronic technology in the reporting process.
- New sections have been added to each chapter addressing the impact of and/or use of electronic technology in the reporting process.
- New and updated example illustrations and applications throughout.
- Two online chapters provide coverage of employee manuals, instructions, and procedures (Chapter 17) and business plans (Chapter 18) adding dimensions not included in many basic business communication texts.
- Chapters are structured in a modular format that will allow you to customize your course and present chapters in the order that best suits your needs.
- Visual aids and oral presentations are included early in the learning sequence, enabling you to emphasize that even simple reports often are enhanced by visual aids and may be presented orally.
- Dilbert cartoons offer light-hearted commentary on the report-writing function in business.
- Fifty percent of the applications and illustrations are new, enabling instructors who have used previous editions to offer fresh material to their students.
- Collaborative writing and ethical considerations are integrated throughout the text, ensuring readers confront the importance of working responsibly with others in the contemporary business environment.
- The book's organization moves from simple to complex. The fundamental skills of writing, illustrating, and orally presenting a report are covered in Chapters 1-9. Chapters 10-16 cover business research and its presentation in a formal report.
- Both simple and complex reports are described and amply illustrated, providing students with experience in crafting many reports commonly used in business and non-profit organizations.
2. Planning the Report.
3. Writing the Report.
4. Writing Style and Lapses.
5. Illustrating the Report.
6. Formatting the Report.
7. Writing Routine Reports.
8. Writing Nonroutine Reports.
9. Planning and Delivering an Oral Report.
10. Planning Research.
11. Selecting Data Sources.
12. Using Primary Data Sources.
13. Using Secondary Data Sources.
14. Documenting Data Sources.
15. Analyzing Data for Complex Reports.
16. Writing Business Research Reports.
Cengage provides a range of supplements that are updated in coordination with the main title selection. For more information about these supplements, contact your Learning Consultant.
Online Instructor's Manual
Online Test Bank
All-You-Can-Learn Access with Cengage Unlimited
Cengage Unlimited is the first-of-its-kind digital subscription that gives students total and on-demand access to all the digital learning platforms, ebooks, online homework and study tools Cengage has to offer—in one place, for one price. Students get unlimited access to a library of more than 22,000 products for $119.99 per term.