Request for consultation
The popular CONSUMER BEHAVIOR, 7E draws key concepts from marketing, psychology, sociology, and anthropology to present a strong foundation and highly practical focus on real-world applications for today’s global business environment. The new edition of this pioneering text incorporates cutting-edge research and current business practices, including extensive coverage of social media influences, increased consumer power, and emerging neuroscience findings. Students also examine controversies in consumer decision-making involving money, goals, emotions, charity, health, materialism, and sustainability. This edition increases its emphasis on social responsibility and ethics in marketing, examining both the dark side and constructive possibilities. With even more real-world examples and thought-provoking application exercises, including new opening examples and closing cases in every chapter, CONSUMER BEHAVIOR, 7E provides a thorough, yet engaging, guide to this essential subject.
- THOROUGH UPDATES HIGHLIGHT SOME OF TODAY’S MOST IMPORTANT IDEAS AND ISSUES THAT INFLUENCE CONTEMPORARY CONSUMER BEHAVIOR. Students examine the relationship of materialism, self-control, financial management and money, goals, emotions, contagion, pricing, environmental concerns and sustainability, social media, childhood obesity, mobile marketing, sharing, technology, and charitable behavior to consumer behavior.
- EXTENSIVE RESEARCHED REVISIONS CITE HUNDREDS OF ACADEMIC STUDIES. This new edition is complete with hundreds of recent academic citations in addition to references to classic academic studies. Students gain a solid grounding in the fundamentals while additional coverage introduces emerging trends and cutting-edge theories.
- INTERNATIONAL EXAMPLES ENCOURAGE A STRONG GLOBAL PERSPECTIVE. Many of the worldwide examples in the Marketing Implications sections offer students the advantages of a global perspective as well as insights into how U.S. marketers actually apply consumer behavior concepts every day, both domestically and abroad.
- QUESTIONS OF ETHICS AND SOCIAL RESPONSIBILITY ARE INTEGRATED AT THE CHAPTER LEVEL. Extended coverage in Chapter 17 explores not only the "dark side" of marketing and consumer behavior, but also how organizations and consumers can use marketing for constructive purposes.
- NEW COVERAGE EXAMINES SPECIFIC INFLUENCES ON DECISIONS MADE BY MILLENNIAL CONSUMERS. This edition reviews the decisions this group makes in the context of issues such as money management, work-life balance, marketing ethics, and the environment.
- ONLINE EXERCISES INTERACT WITH REAL ADVERTISEMENTS, CONSUMER DATA, AND MARKETING STRATEGIES. As students work extensively with today’s ads, data and marketing, they are able to relate chapter concepts to concrete experiences from their own lives. They also explore how chapter concepts can be used in the current workplace.
- EXHIBITS EMPHASIZE SPECIFIC TRENDS. Illustrations and graphics throughout visually demonstrate applications of consumer behavior concepts in both U.S. and international marketing situations.
- MANY NEWLY-PROMINENT CONSUMER BEHAVIOR THEMES RECEIVE SPECIAL ATTENTION. Chapter 1 previews hot topics, such as financial decisions and money management, obesity, self-control, materialism, privacy and transparency, and social media marketing. New key terms, such as ethical sourcing and contagion, highlight the growing influence of particular aspects of consumer behavior.
- DETAILED CONCEPTUAL MODELS CLARIFY KEY TOPICS IN EACH CHAPTER. These models help students understand how the chapter’s key topics relate to one another and how the topics connect to coverage in other chapters. This understanding provides a valuable roadmap to your course.
- MARKETING IMPLICATION SECTIONS DEMONSTRATE HOW CONSUMER BEHAVIOR CONCEPTS APPLY TO THE PRACTICE OF MARKETING. Students examine essential functions, such as market segmentation, target market selection, positioning, and decisions on promotion, price, product, and place. Many of these features focus on international marketing, which helps students gain the broader perspective needed in today’s global economy.
- DISCUSSION QUESTIONS EXTEND YOUR STUDENTS’ OPPORTUNITIES TO APPLY WHAT THEY’VE LEARNED. These meaningful questions at the end of every chapter encourage students to recall, analyze, and dig deeper into what they have learned as they apply the chapter’s concepts to real-world marketing situations.
1. Understanding Consumer Behavior.
Appendix: Developing Information about Consumer Behavior.
Part II: THE PSYCHOLOGICAL CORE.
2. Motivation, Ability, and Opportunity.
3. From Exposure to Comprehension.
4. Memory and Knowledge.
5. Attitudes Based on High Effort.
6. Attitudes Based on Low Effort.
Part III: THE PROCESS OF MAKING DECISIONS.
7. Problem Recognition and Information Search.
8. Judgment and Decision Making Based on High Effort.
9. Judgment and Decision Making Based on Low Effort.
10. Post-Decision Processes.
Part IV: THE CONSUMER’S CULTURE.
11. Social Influences on Consumer Behavior.
12. Consumer Diversity.
13. Household and Social Class Influences.
14. Psychographics: Values, Personality, and Lifestyles.
Part V: CONSUMER BEHAVIOR OUTCOMES AND ISSUES.
15. Innovations: Adoption, Resistance, Diffusion.
16. Symbolic Consumer Behavior.
17. Marketing, Ethics, and Social Responsibility in Today’s Consumer Society.
Cengage provides a range of supplements that are updated in coordination with the main title selection. For more information about these supplements, contact your Learning Consultant.
Instructor's Companion Website
Find everything you need for your course in one place. This collection of book-specific lecture and class tools is available online via www.cengage.com/login. Access and download PowerPoint® presentations, instructor’s manual, videos, and more.
Cengage Learning Testing, powered by Cognero® Instant Access
Cengage Learning Testing powered by Cognero®, is a flexible, online system that allows you to: import, edit, and manipulate content from the text's test bank or elsewhere, including your own favorite test questions. Create multiple test versions in an instant and deliver tests from your LMS, your classroom, or wherever you want.