Request for consultation
Specifically written for paralegal students, CONSTITUTIONAL LAW: PRINCIPLES AND PRACTICE, 2nd Edition identifies and explains the concepts behind constitutional law,and connects them to everyday experiences both inside the law practice and out. Carefully edited for non-lawyers, the major cases presented show how the Supreme Court's decisions impact lawyers, lawmakers, and the general public, while breaking down complex concepts for paralegals-in-training to grasp more easily. Each chapter also contains numerous pedagogical elements including learning objectives, review and analysis questions, and vocabulary terms to build reader confidence with the material, and demonstrate the ways paralegals perform in the workplace. Focusing on practical application, CONSTITUTIONAL LAW: PRINCIPLES AND PRACTICE, 2nd Edition offers multiple hands-on opportunities to help students excel. Helpful appendices include samples of commonly used legal documents, while the readings are packed with hypothetical cases, ethical dilemmas, and end-of-chapter assignments for practicing analytical skills.
- New Group Activities: Students read, analyze, and discuss portions of written arguments for critically important cases, and support their own arguments with full briefs located in the appendix.
- Key Legal Updates: Case law in each chapter has been updated to reflect the most recent United States Supreme Court decisions and give readers the most accurate information available.
- Practical Application: Multiple practical features bring constitutional law into students' real lives. In "Living with the Constitution," a hypothetical situation provides a practical introduction to each chapter, enabling students to identify the relevance of the material. "Ethical Decisions – Everyday Choices" presents students with problems based on factual situations, illustrating ethical concerns related to chapter material. "Putting it Into Practice," a practical assignment at the end of each chapter, illustrates how the Constitution affects the day-to-day practice of law.
- Reader-Friendly Cases: Edited Supreme Court cases in an easy-to-understand format give students a true feel for law without bogging them down with legalese.
- Focused Learning: Clear objectives stated in the chapters alert students to the most important concepts, and keep them focused through more abstract topics.
- Key Terms: Placed in the margins for easy access, legal terms and their definitions enhance chapters and engage students in the readings.
- Chapter Review: Questions for Review, Questions for Analysis, and Assignments and Projects at the end of each chapter help students integrate and master chapter concepts and expand their analytic, writing, and research skills.
- Timely Post-Case Questions: Placed after each major case instead of at the ends of the chapters, "Something to Consider" questions for discussion reinforce key points immediately for students.
2. The Constitution and the Federal Government: An Overview.
3. Federal Judicial Power.
4. Federal Legislative Powers.
5. Federal Executive Power.
6. State Powers and the Constitution.
7. Constitutional Protections of Civil Rights and Liberties.
8. Equal Protection.
9. Due Process.
10. Economic Freedom and Property Rights.
11. Freedom of Expression.
12. Freedom of Religion.
13. The Right to Privacy Under the Due Process and Equal Protection Clauses.
14. Criminal Justice and the Constitution.
"The text is well written and thorough, and includes practical assignments that are important for paralegal programs to include in their courses.The text has an excellent overview of how to read a Supreme Court case in Chapter 1."
Cengage provides a range of supplements that are updated in coordination with the main title selection. For more information about these supplements, contact your Learning Consultant.
Online Instructor's Manual
The site includes an Instructor's Manual with a chapter-by-chapter analysis as well as lecture outlines, teaching tips, and suggested discussion questions. The website also includes a test bank with answers and PowerPoint® lecture slides.