Request for consultation
CONCEPTS OF CHEMICAL DEPENDENCY, Ninth Edition, provides comprehensive coverage and the latest information on a full spectrum of substance use disorders and the compounds commonly abused. Topics include the abuse of and addiction to alcohol; how the active agent in marijuana, THC, affects neural growth and development; the emerging body of evidence suggesting a relationship between marijuana abuse and psychotic disorders; the emerging body of evidence suggesting that marijuana is not as benign as it was thought to be a few years ago; and the abuse of cough syrups. Adding to the book's usefulness and relevance, Doweiko also covers topics not usually discussed in other substance abuse texts, including abuse of anabolic steroids, inhalants, infectious diseases associated with substance abuse, how the “war on drugs” has actually contributed to the problem of substance abuse/addiction in this country, and the “medical marijuana” debate. This edition includes new information on synthetic marijuana, mephredone, and dextromethorphan, among other substances; updates reflecting the new DSM-5; and a new chapter on the Biopsychosocial Model of Addiction. Students report that they appreciate the author's balanced approach, which allows them to form their own opinions, in contrast to some books that “preach” that “drugs are bad for you.”
- Revised and updated throughout to deliver contemporary and relevant coverage, this edition includes hundreds of new references, with a corresponding deletion of dated and obsolete reference materials.
- A new Chapter 25 discusses the Biopsychosocial Model of Addictions, which is now advocated by the American Society of Addiction Medicine (ASAM).
- Some of the material in Chapters 1 and 2-for instance, Chapter 2 content about the influence of social factors on the evolution of substance use disorders-has been moved to the new Chapter 25 on the Biopsychosocial Model, allowing for more consolidated and cohesive coverage.
- Chapter 23, “Addiction and the Family,” has been thoroughly rewritten to include the most recent research, information on today's families, and practice guidelines for working with families.
- New material has been added on the abuse of Provigil®, an amphetamine-like compound that was designed for treatment of narcolepsy but which has been found to provide an amphetamine-like “high” if abused.
- Among other new content, this edition presents new information on synthetic marijuana; the compound mephedrone; MPEV, a chemical cousin to khat; and dextromethorphan, a popular compound of abuse in young adolescents.
- Information from the DSM-5 is incorporated throughout the text and highlighted in a new Appendix.
- Clear guidelines and strategies for human service workers-including evaluation, intervention techniques, treatment, recovery, and common problems in treatment-help students prepare to work effectively with clients.
- An end-of-book glossary helps students review and retain the many new terms they learn in the book.
- Discussion questions for each chapter are provided to help the student understand the complex nature of the substance use disorders and some of the controversies associated with this topic.
- Chapter 21, “Substance Use Disorders in College Settings,” reflects an emerging body of evidence that suggests that substance use disorders follow a different trajectory for persons who graduate from high school and then enter college, as opposed to those young adults who simply enter the work force.
- The book focuses on important issues to consider when working with clients, such as the effect of chemicals on neonates, the dually diagnosed client, chemical abuse by children and adolescents, codependency and enabling, and addiction and the family.
2. The Nature of the Beast.
3. A Brief Introduction to the Science of Pharmacology.
4. An Introduction to Alcohol: Man's Oldest Recreational Chemical.
5. The Alcohol Use Disorders.
6. Abuse and Addiction to Barbiturates and Barbiturate-Like Compounds.
7. Abuse and Addiction to Benzodiazepines and Similar Agents.
8. Abuse and Addiction to Central Nervous System Stimulants.
9. Cocaine Abuse and Dependence.
10. Marijuana Abuse and Addiction.
11. Opiode Use, Abuse, and Addiction.
12. Abuse and Addiction to Hallucinogens.
13. Abuse and Addiction to Inhalants and Aerosols.
14. The Under-Recognized Problem of Steroid Abuse/Addiction.
15. Over the Counter Analgesics.
16. Tobacco Products and Nicotine Addiction.
17. The Potential Consequences of Drug Abuse During Pregnancy.
18. Gender and Substance Use Disorders.
19. Hidden Faces of Substance Use Disorders.
20. Substance Use and Abuse by Children and Adolescents.
21. Substance Use Disorders in College Settings.
22. Codependency and Enabling.
23. Addiction and the Family.
24. The Dual-Diagnosis Client: Substance Use Disorders and Mental Illness.
25. The Biopsychosocial Model of the Addictions.
26. The Substance Use Disorders as a Disease of the Human Spirit.
27. The Assessment of Suspected Substance Use Disorders.
29. Treatment Settings.
30. The Treatment of Substance Use Disorders.
31. The Process of Treatment.
32. Pharmacological Interventions for Substance Use Disorders.
33. Relapse and Other Problems Frequently Encountered in Substance Abuse Rehabilitation.
34. Support Groups to Promote and Sustain Recovery.
35. Substance Use Disorders and and Infectious Disease.
36. The Relationship Between Drug Use and Crime.
37. The Debate Over Legalization.
“This text is a detailed look at chemical dependency from a biological, scientific, social, and humanistic perspective. It will make you question what you thought you knew about the world of addictions, and open the door to the possibility of issues not always considered.”
“I believe that all healthcare professionals should have access to this text as it is the first reference I reach for due to the comprehensive coverage of topics and the reliance I have on the research within that it has been researched and updated.”
Cengage provides a range of supplements that are updated in coordination with the main title selection. For more information about these supplements, contact your Learning Consultant.
Online Test Bank
For assessment support, the updated test bank includes true/false, multiple-choice, matching, short answer, and essay questions for each chapter.
Online Instructor's Manual
These vibrant Microsoft® PowerPoint® lecture slides for each chapter assist you with your lecture by providing concept coverage using images, figures, and tables directly from the textbook.
Cengage Learning Testing, powered by Cognero Instant Access