Request for consultation
Packed with current research and examples, bestselling COMMUNICATION BETWEEN CULTURES, 9E equips students with a deep understanding and appreciation of different cultures while helping them develop practical communication skills. Part I introduces the study of communication and culture; Part II focuses on the ability of culture to shape and modify our view of reality; Part III puts the theory of intercultural communication into practice; and Part IV converts knowledge into action. This is the only text to consistently emphasize religion and history as key variables in intercultural communication. Compelling examples force students to examine their own assumptions, perceptions, and cultural biases--enabling them to understand the subtle and profound ways culture affects communication. The ninth edition offers expanded discussions of the impact of globalization, a new chapter on intercultural communication competence, and more coverage of new technology.
- The ninth edition of COMMUNICATION BETWEEN CULTURES offers expanded coverage of the impact of globalization on families, business, education, and intercultural communication.
- An all-new chapter is devoted to intercultural communication competence.
- Now more practical than ever, the language chapter has been thoroughly revised and updated. It includes new sections on taboo topics and the different ways cultures actually use language as well as an expanded section on translation and interpretation.
- Additional coverage of new technology is now integrated into many of the chapters.
- The emphasis on cultural identity and its influence on intercultural communication includes discussions of what our cultural identity tells us about ourselves and our place in the culture as well as how our cultural identity shapes our perceptions and communication patterns.
- Helping sharpen critical thinking skills, boxes such as "Remember This", "Imagine This", and "Consider This" encourage students to consider intercultural communication problems, answer questions, and think about concepts found within each chapter.
- The importance of education in a multicultural society is thoroughly discussed. The text offers up-to-date material about the learning preferences of people from diverse cultural backgrounds as well as gives advice on how to create classrooms that reflect the various ethnicities of the surrounding community so that culturally different students can feel welcome and comfortable.
- Exceptional coverage of racism and racial tensions, stereotyping, prejudice, discrimination, and ethnocentrism is provided throughout the text, giving students unparalleled insight.
- A unique focus on the deep structure of culture emphasizes the roles that family, religion, and history play in intercultural communication.
- Highlighting co-cultures both in the United States and worldwide, the text includes a section on cultural adaptation reflecting the significance of more immigrants moving from one culture to another.
2. Communication and Culture: The Voice and the Echo.
3. The Deep Structure of Culture: Lessons from the Family.
4. Worldview: Cultural Explanations of Life and Death.
5. Cultural History: Precursor to the Present and Future.
6. Cultural Values: Roadmaps for Behavior.
7. Culture and Identity: Situating the Individual.
8. Verbal Messages: Exchanging Ideas Through Language.
9. Nonverbal Communication: The Messages of Action, Space, Time, and Silence.
10. Intercultural Communication in Contexts: Application in Business, Education, and Healthcare.
11. The Challenges of Intercultural Communication: Managing Differences.
"The text is rich with research and current examples, which brings the ideas of culture and diversity to life for my students. The approach makes the text and subjects inviting to my students, especially when I challenge them to react and respond to activities or questions from either the end of the chapters, or from the resource manual. My focus is on application, not just theory, and the approach of the text helps achieve that goal."
"This text has a depth to it that is noteworthy. It really does try to get to the heart of why cultures differ in terms of their history and religion. This is certainly not a 'dumbed-down' book in any way."
Cengage provides a range of supplements that are updated in coordination with the main title selection. For more information about these supplements, contact your Learning Consultant.
Instructor's Companion Website
Cengage Learning Testing, powered by Cognero® Instant Access for Samovar/Porter/McDaniel/Roy's Communication Between Cultures
Cengage Learning Testing Powered by Cognero® is a flexible, online system that allows you to import, edit, and manipulate content from the text's test bank or elsewhere, including your own favorite test questions; create multiple test versions in an instant; and deliver tests from your LMS, your classroom, or wherever you want.