Request for consultation
Streamlined and up to date with the latest research and developments from the field, bestselling COMMUNICATING FOR RESULTS: A GUIDE FOR BUSINESS AND THE PROFESSIONS, 11th Edition, introduces students to the basic concepts and techniques needed to successfully communicate in today's business world. Covering every aspect of the communication process -- from organizational approaches to culturally aware interpersonal communication obstacles and strategies for critical listening and improved use of social media -- Hamilton's text gives students a competitive edge in interviews, presentations, future leadership roles, and more. Online video clips of common professional scenarios help students apply chapter concepts to real-world practice, while Polishing Your Career Skills features provides diagnostic tools to help them sharpen their own skills. In addition, MindTap® Communication provides an interactive learning solution that engages students and improves outcomes.
- SIMPLIFIED, STREAMLINED, AND COMPLETELY UP TO DATE! The new 11th edition of COMMUNICATING FOR RESULTS: A GUIDE FOR BUSINESS AND THE PROFESSIONS has been thoroughly revised and updated to reflect the latest developments, research, and practices from the field. Making the text more student friendly than ever, the authors simplified and condensed the content -- resulting in a more succinct textbook with fewer pages.
- UPDATED! Chapter 6, "Anxiety, Technology, and Other Communication Obstacle, and chapter 14, Written Communication" include the most up-to-date technology and social media coverage available.
- NEW! MindTap® Communication is now incorporated throughout the text -- enhancing your students’ employability skills and promote the relevance of communication across context. s Easy-to-use and easy-to-customize, MindTap elevates transferrable communication skills that go beyond the classroom, combining readings, multimedia, activities and assessments —into a singular Learning Path. Show your students that communication is more than words with contextualized activities and focused tools designed to reinforce key concepts and elevate skills for classroom and career success.
- NEW! Now presented earlier, "Polishing Your Career Skills" features in every chapter enable readers to easily assess their personal communication skills that need improvement. These diagnostic tools are intriguing and practical enough that students will want to apply them whether they are assigned or not.
- NEW and UPDATED! Real-world cases are now included in the introduction of each unit and bring concepts to life for all chapters in that unit. Having one case for multiple chapters enables faculty members to more fully develop the application for students and gives students more than a surface-level analysis of real-life case examples. Discussion questions are included for each chapter and a final critical thinking activity allows students to apply what they've learned.
- UPDATED! The latest technology and social media coverage is integrated throughout. Chapter 6, "Anxiety, Technology, and Other Communication Obstacles," explores why technology is a communication obstacle as well as explains how to successfully use social media in the workplace to build relationships, social media profiles (on LinkedIn), and social media resumes that stand out in job searches. Chapter 14, "Written Communication," includes new tips and tools for creating successful Twitter messages in the workplace and writing and producing professional videos.
- UPDATED! Chapter 8, "The Employment Interview," now offers expanded coverage of conventional, electronic, Web, and social media resumes -- including how and when to use them most effectively.
- UPDATED! Expanded "Awareness Check" features include a pre-test and post-test PRPSA by James McCroskey in chapters 1 and 14.
- NEW! Unit Activities at the end of every chapter help students put what they learn into practice.
- COMPLETELY UP TO DATE! Every chapter has been thoroughly revised to reflect reviewer suggestions, the latest research, and current examples. All chapters include learning outcomes in language that can easily be adopted or integrated into course-level and unit-level objectives for both face-to-face and online courses.
- UPDATED! Coverage in chapter 13, "Persuasive Presentations: Individual or Team," presents practical applications of the latest persuasive research findings.
- Taking a thorough, practical approach to business and professional topics, COMMUNICATING FOR RESULTS, 11th Edition, exposes students to the issues and situations they will encounter in today's workplace. Key topics include organizational communication, obstacles to effective organizational communication, conflict resolution, how technology affects communication, group and team communication, effective business presentations, and creating PowerPoint® presentations.
- Extremely student friendly, the 11th edition includes numerous updated pedagogical features -- such as end-of-chapter group activities, unit-opening real-life case studies, "Polishing Your Career Skills" boxes, and "Awareness Check" boxes -- that enable students to put what they learn into practice.
- By taking the PRPSA (Awareness Check in chapters 1 and 14) as a pre-test during week one and as a post-test at the close of the course students can see for themselves how much their confidence and communication skills have improved during the semester.
- The text's balance of theory and practical information helps students understand how the concepts they study today are skills they will apply at work tomorrow.
- Unit-opening case studies provide lively discussion questions for chapter content as well as help students apply key concepts through hands-on activities. A final critical-thinking activity for student groups concludes each chapter.
Analyze This Real-Life Case: Wal-Mart: Ethics Choices and Communication Challenges.
1. Communication and Ethics at Work: What You Should Know.
2. Organizations in the Workplace: Which Ones Fit You Best?
3. Handling Conflict, Cultural Diversity, and Relationships in the Workplace.
Unit II: PERSONALIZING COMMUNICATION IN THE WORKPLACE.
Analyze this Real-Life Case: An Engineer's Experience with Communication and Listening.
4. Effective Listening.
5. Nonverbal Communication.
6. Anxiety, Technology, and Other Communication Obstacles.
Unit III: MAXIMIZING COMMUNICATION IN THE WORKPLACE.
Analyze This Real-Life Case: Amazon: Hiring Practices That Continue to "Raise the Bar."
7. Basic Information for All Types of Interviews.
8. The Employment Interview.
9. Small-Group Communication and Problem Solving.
10. Participation and Leadership in Teams.
Unit IV: POLISHING ORAL AND WRITTEN COMMUNICATION IN THE WORKPLACE.
Analyze This Real-Life Case: Harry Markopolos: Why Didn't Anyone Heed His Warnings About Madoff?
11. Informative Presentations: Plan, Research, Organize, and Deliver.
12. Verbal and Visual Supporting Materials.
13. Persuasive Presentations: Individual or Team.
14. Written Communication.
Cengage provides a range of supplements that are updated in coordination with the main title selection. For more information about these supplements, contact your Learning Consultant.
Instructor's Web Site
Everything you need for your course in one place! This collection of product-specific lecture and class tools is available online via the instructor resource center at www.cengage.com/login. You'll be able to access and download materials such as PowerPoint presentations, images, instructor's manual, videos, and more.
Cengage Learning Testing, powered by Cognero® Instant Access
Cengage Learning Testing, powered by Cognero® is a flexible, online system that allows you to import, edit, and manipulate content from the text's test bank or elsewhere, including your own favorite test questions; create multiple test versions in an instant; and deliver tests from your LMS, your classroom, or wherever you want.