Request for consultation
COLLEGE ALGEBRA WITH APPLICATIONS FOR BUSINESS AND LIFE SCIENCES, Second Edition, meets the demand for courses that emphasize problem solving, modeling, and real-world applications for business and the life sciences. The authors provide a firm foundation in algebraic concepts, and prompt students to apply their understanding to relevant examples and applications they are likely to encounter in college or in their careers. The program addresses the needs of students at all levels--and in particular those who may have struggled in previous algebra courses--offering an abundance of examples and exercises that reinforce concepts and make learning more dynamic. The early introduction of functions in Chapter 1 ensures compatibility with syllabi and provides a framework for student learning. Instructors can also opt to use graphing technology as a tool for problem solving and for review or retention.
- New! A Summarize feature guides students in creating section-level concept summaries-- helping them process and organize key concepts while providing a valuable study tool.
- New! How Do You See It? exercises ask students to draw conclusions about information presented visually. Requiring little or no calculation, these exercises check students' conceptual understanding of key concepts.
- New and Updated! Projects, which appear in selected sections, connect real-life data and applications and give your students the opportunity to generate and analyze mathematical models from large data sets.
- New! CourseMate brings course concepts to life with interactive learning, study, and exam preparation tools that support the printed textbook. Watch student comprehension soar as your class works with the printed textbook and the textbook-specific website.
- A wide variety of relevant examples--each of which is titled for easy reference--includes solutions presented graphically, analytically, and/or numerically to provide further insight into mathematical concepts. Examples that illustrate real-life situations are identified with an icon.
- For instructors who wish to incorporate technology, optional Tech Tutor boxes provide guidance on using technology to ease lengthy calculations, present a graphical solution, or discuss where using technology can lead to misleading or wrong solutions. In addition, exercises requiring technology are identified with a graphing calculator icon.
- Every section begins with a list of objectives that highlights the learning outcomes of that section and provides instructors with a tool for lesson planning.
- Appearing in the middle of each chapter, Mid-Chapter Quizzes are single-page tests that let students practice skills and concepts learned in the chapter. This opportunity for self-assessment helps uncover potential weaknesses that might require further review of the material.
- Revised! Section-ending Business Capsules and accompanying exercises address business situations related to the mathematical concepts covered in the chapter.
- Revised! At the beginning of each exercise set, Skills Warm Up exercises give students practice of skills covered in previous sections that are used in the exercise set; answers are provided at the back of the text to reinforce understanding.
- Revised! The Exercise Sets have been revised based on actual student usage data to improve student comprehension. Approximately 5,000 exercises progress from skill-development problems to more challenging, real-world applications--all of which can be customized to the difficulty level of the instructor's choice.
Real Numbers: Order and Absolute Value. The Basic Rules of Algebra. Integer Exponents. Radicals and Rational Exponents. Polynomials and Special Products.
Factoring. Fractional Expressions.
1. EQUATIONS AND INEQUALITIES.
Linear Equations. Mathematical Modeling. Quadratic Equations. The Quadratic Formula. Other Types of Equations. Linear Inequalities. Other Types of Inequalities.
2. FUNCTIONS AND GRAPHS.
Graphs of Equations. Lines in the Plane. Linear Modeling and Direct Variation. Functions. Graphs of Functions. Transformations of Functions. The Algebra of Functions.
3. POLYNOMIAL AND RATIONAL FUNCTIONS.
Quadratic Functions and Models. Polynomial Functions of Higher Degree. Polynomial Division. Real Zeros of Polynomial Functions. Complex Numbers. The Fundamental Theorem of Algebra. Rational Functions.
4. EXPONENTIAL AND LOGARITHMIC FUNCTIONS.
Inverse Functions. Exponential Functions. Logarithmic Functions. Properties of Logarithms. Solving Exponential and Logarithmic Equations. Exponential and Logarithmic Models.
5. SYSTEMS OF EQUATIONS AND INEQUALITIES.
Solving Linear Systems Using Substitution. Solving Linear Systems Using Elimination. Linear Systems in Three or More Variables. Systems of Inequalities. Linear Programming.
6. MATRICES AND DETERMINANTS.
Matrices and Linear Systems. Operations with Matrices. The Inverse of a Square Matrix.
The Determinant of a Square Matrix. Applications of Matrices and Determinants.
7. SEQUENCES, SERIES, AND PROBABILITY.
Sequences and Summation Notation. Arithmetic Sequences and Partial Sums. Geometric Sequences and Series. The Binomial Theorem. Counting Principles. Probability.
Appendix A: An Introduction to Graphing Utilities.
Appendix B: Conic Sections.
Conic Sections. Conic Sections and Translations.
Appendix C: Further Concepts in Statistics.
Data and Linear Modeling. Measures of Central Tendency and Dispersion.
Cengage provides a range of supplements that are updated in coordination with the main title selection. For more information about these supplements, contact your Learning Consultant.
This CD-ROM (or DVD) provides the instructor with dynamic media tools for teaching. Easily build solution sets for homework or exams using Solution Builder's online solutions manual. Microsoft® PowerPoint® lecture slides and figures from the book are also included on this CD-ROM (or DVD).
Complete Solutions Manual
Student Solutions Manual
Contains fully worked-out solutions to all of the odd-numbered exercises in the text, giving students a way to check their answers and ensure that they took the correct steps to arrive at an answer.
CourseMate, 1 term (6 months) Instant Access
Complement your text and course content with study and practice materials. Cengage Learning's CourseMate brings course concepts to life with interactive learning, study, and exam preparation tools that support the printed textbook. Watch student comprehension soar as your class works with the printed textbook and the textbook-specific website. CourseMate goes beyond the book to deliver what you need!
Student Solutions Manual
CourseMate, 1 term (6 months) Instant Access
Cengage Learning's CourseMate brings course concepts to life with interactive learning, study, and exam preparation tools that support the printed textbook. Maximize your course success with the integrated eBook and chapter-specific learning tools that include flashcards, quizzes, videos, and more in your CourseMate. Key Features: Interactive eBook, Engagement Tracker, Learning Objectives, Tutorial Quizzes, Glossary and Flashcards, and Web Links and References.