Request for consultation
Reflecting Cengage Learning's commitment to offering flexible teaching solutions and value for students and instructors, this new hybrid edition features the instructional presentation found in the printed text while delivering end-of-section exercises online in Enhanced WebAssign. The result—a briefer printed text that engages students online! Do your students attempt to memorize facts and mimic examples to make it through algebra? James Stewart, author of the worldwide, best-selling calculus texts, saw this scenario time and again in his classes. So, along with longtime coauthors Lothar Redlin and Saleem Watson, he wrote COLLEGE ALGEBRA specifically to help students learn to think mathematically and to develop genuine problem-solving skills. Comprehensive and evenly-paced, the text has helped hundreds of thousands of students. Incorporating technology, real-world applications, and additional useful pedagogy, the sixth edition promises to help more students than ever build conceptual understanding and a core of fundamental skills.
- NEW! The hybrid edition of the text provides a less-expensive, shorter option for students. End-of-section exercises are omitted from the text and appear online only. The hybrid edition is packaged with Enhanced WebAssign and the Cengage YouBook.
- Early Chapter on Functions. The chapter on Functions now appears earlier in the book--moving from Chapter 3 to Chapter 2. The review material (in Chapters P and 1) has been streamlined and rewritten, allowing Instructors to more quickly get to the key part of the course—functions.
- Diagnostic Test. A diagnostic test, designed to test preparedness for college algebra, is available at the beginning of the book. This allows Instructors to more easily determine if their students are ready for the material they will encounter in college algebra or if they should review some basic algebra skills. As a result instructors can better schedule and organize their lecture topics.
- Exercises. More than 30% of the exercises are new. This includes new Concept Exercises and new Skills exercises. Updated exercises provide more relevant material that will engage students. Concept and Skill exercises will improve their students' ability to handle application problems and allow instructors to spend more time on more interesting applied problems.
- Book Companion Website. A new website www.stewartmath.com contains Discovery Projects for each chapter and Focus on Problem Solving sections that highlight different problem-solving principles outlined in the Prologue. Instructors can direct students to this additional source for learning problem solving skills.
- Chapter P Preliminaries. This chapter now contains a section on basic equations, including linear equations and power equations. Instructors have available to them important review material which ultimately will help in their students' greater understanding of graphing functions.
- Chapter 1 Equations and Graphs. This is a new chapter that includes an introduction to the coordinate plane and graphs of equations (in two variables), as well as the material on solving equations. Including these topics in one chapter highlights the relationship between algebraic and graphical solutions of equations. Instructors will now have more book support in explaining the relationship between data and its graphical representation and the algebraic representation of that data.
- Cumulative Reviews appear after select groups of chapters and help students gauge their progress and gain experience in taking tests that cover a broad range of concepts and skills.
- Enhanced WebAssign allows you to assign, collect, grade, and record homework assignments online, minimizing workload and streamlining the grading process. It also gives students the ability to stay organized with assignments and have up-to-date grade information.
- Many real-world applications show students how mathematics is used to model in fields such as engineering, physics, chemistry, business, and biology and help them relate the concepts they're studying to the world around them.
- Focus on Modeling sections show how algebra can be applied to model real-life situations.
- Optional, yet complete, technology applications for graphing calculators and computers appear throughout the text, giving you the flexibility to teach the course the way you want.
- The new Get Ready feature at the beginning of a section lets students know which previous sections they need to have mastered before starting the section.
- Concept exercises, in addition to drill/skill exercises, vary from easy to difficult and help ensure that students are truly grasping the algebraic theories.
To the Student.
Are You Ready for College Algebra?
Prologue: Principles of Problem Solving.
Modeling the Real World with Algebra. The Real Numbers. Integer Exponents and Scientific Notation. Rational Exponents and Radicals. Algebraic Expressions. Factoring. Rational Expressions. Solving Basic Equations. Chapter P Review. Chapter P Test. FOCUS ON MODELING: Making the Best Decisions.
1. EQUATIONS AND GRAPHS.
The Coordinate Plane. Graphs of Equations in Two Variables; Circles. Lines. Solving Equations Graphically. Modeling with Equations. Solving Quadratic Equations. Solving Other Types of Equations. Solving Inequalities. Solving Absolute Value Equations and Inequalities. Chapter 1 Review. Chapter 1 Test. FOCUS ON MODELING: Fitting Lines to Data.
Functions. Graphs of Functions. Getting Information from the Graph of a Function. Average Rate of Change of a Function. Transformations of Functions. Combining Functions. One-to-One Functions and Their Inverses. Chapter 2 Review. Chapter 2 Test. FOCUS ON MODELING: Modeling with Functions.
3. POLYNOMIAL AND RATIONAL FUNCTIONS.
Quadratic Functions and Models. Polynomial Functions and Their Graphs. Dividing Polynomials. Real Zeros of Polynomials. Complex Numbers. Complex Zeros and the Fundamental Theorem of Algebra. Rational Functions. Modeling Variation. Chapter 3 Review. Chapter 3 Test. FOCUS ON MODELING: Fitting Polynomial Curves to Data.
4. EXPONENTIAL AND LOGARITHMIC FUNCTIONS.
Exponential Functions. The Natural Exponential Function. Logarithmic Functions. Laws of Logarithms. Exponential and Logarithmic Equations. Modeling with Exponential and Logarithmic Functions. Chapter 4 Review. Chapter 4 Test. Cumulative Review Test: Chapters 2, 3, and 4. FOCUS ON MODELING: Fitting Exponential and Power Curves to Data.
5. SYSTEMS OF EQUATIONS AND INEQUALITIES.
Systems of Linear Equations in Two Variables. Systems of Linear Equations in Several Variables. Partial Fractions. Systems of Nonlinear Equations. Systems of Inequalities. Chapter 5 Review. Chapter 5 Test. FOCUS ON MODELING: Linear Programming.
6. MATRICES AND DETERMINANTS.
Matrices and Systems of Linear Equations. The Algebra of Matrices. Inverses of Matrices and Matrix Equations. Determinants and Cramer''s Rules. Chapter 6 Review. Chapter 6 Test. FOCUS ON MODELING: Computer Graphics.
7. CONIC SECTIONS.
Parabolas. Ellipses. Hyperbolas. Shifted Conics. Chapter 7 Review. Chapter 7 Test. Cumulative Review Test: Chapters 5, 6, and 7. FOCUS ON MODELING: Conics in Architecture.
8. SEQUENCES AND SERIES.
Sequences and Summation Notation. Arithmetic Sequences. Geometric Sequences. Mathematics of Finance. Mathematical Induction. The Binomial Theorem. Chapter 8 Review. Chapter 8 Test. FOCUS ON MODELING: Modeling with Recursive Sequences.
9. PROBABILITY AND STATISTICS.
Counting. Probability. Binomial Probability. Expected Value. Chapter 9 Review. Chapter 9 Test. Cumulative Review Test: Chapters 8 and 9. FOCUS ON MODELING: The Monte Carlo Method.
APPENDIX A: Calculations and Calculations.
APPENDIX B: Graphing with a Graphing Calculator.
APPENDIX C: Using the TI-83/84 Graphing Calculator.
Cengage provides a range of supplements that are updated in coordination with the main title selection. For more information about these supplements, contact your Learning Consultant.
PowerLecture with ExamView®
This CD-ROM (or DVD) provides the instructor with dynamic media tools for teaching. Create, deliver, and customize tests (both print and online) in minutes with ExamView® Computerized Testing Featuring Algorithmic Equations. Easily build solution sets for homework or exams using Solution Builder's online solutions manual. Microsoft® PowerPoint® lecture slides and figures from the book are also included on this CD-ROM (or DVD).
Reinforces student understanding with detailed explanations, worked-out examples, and practice problems. Lists key ideas to master and builds problem-solving skills. There is a section in the Study Guide corresponding to each section in the text.
Student Solutions Manual
Contains fully worked-out solutions to all of the odd-numbered exercises in the text, giving students a way to check their answers and ensure that they took the correct steps to arrive at an answer.
These text-specific instructional videos provide students with visual reinforcement of concepts and explanations given in easy-to-understand terms with detailed examples and sample problems. A flexible format offers versatility for quickly accessing topics or catering lectures to self-paced, online, or hybrid courses. Closed captioning is provided for the hearing impaired.
Student Solutions Manual