Request for consultation
Dr. Stephen Reed's Ninth Edition of COGNITION: THEORY AND APPLICATIONS focuses on the theories that underlie cognitive phenomena as well as empirical data that establishes a traditional, information processing approach to cognitive psychology. This structure allows undergraduates to discover the direct relevance of cognitive psychology to many of their daily activities. The text incorporates unparalleled scholarship in a distinctive clear voice that allows for the emphasis of both contemporary and classical research through real-life examples and experiments. Revised and updated throughout to maintain a high degree of currency and accuracy, content reflects the ever-evolving field and is made relevant to students' lives through the inclusion of popular articles from well-known magazines and newspapers. As a result of its adherence to three criteria--the material must make an important contribution to cognitive psychology, be accessible, and be both understandable and interesting--the text is an invaluable tool in learning cognitive psychology.
- The Ninth Edition contains research on adoption of the cognitive interview procedure for young children.
- Chapter 6, "Memory Codes," shows that the levels-of-processing effect does not apply to STM and mentions instructional implications of the encoding specificity principle.
- Chapter 14, "Decision Making," shows readers the application of a dual process theory to the Kahneman and Tversky judgments, how framing influences the selection of a cell-phone plan, and how jury deliberations may overcome individual biases.
- Cognitive neuroscience research is incorporated to provide well-rounded coverage and the most up-to-date information.
- Experiments included in CogLab, an interactive online laboratory where students can run demonstrations of more than 40 classical experiments and concepts from cognitive psychology, are incorporated into the end of appropriate chapters.
- The three major topics that appear throughout the text--theoretical work, research, and cognitive neuroscience--present a clear flow of ideas that tell a coherent story of cognitive psychology.
- The text is written in a way that challenges students to think critically about concepts and apply them to their everyday lives.
- Instead of simply presenting empirical data, the text focuses on theories underlying cognitive phenomena.
- To facilitate students' understanding, Dr. Reed includes many descriptions of the methodology of experiments, an approach that works well with the integration of CogLab.
- COGNITION: THEORY AND APPLICATIONS is written at a level that appeals to an extremely broad range of students, allowing all of them to fully understand one concept before moving on to another.
2. Pattern Recognition.
4. Short-Term Working Memory.
5. Long-Term Memory.
Part II: REPRESENTATION AND ORGANIZATION OF KNOWLEDGE.
6. Memory Codes.
7. Visual Images.
9. Semantic Organization.
Part III: COMPLEX COGNITIVE SKILLS.
11. Comprehension and Memory for Text.
12. Problem Solving.
13. Expertise and Creativity.
14. Decision Making.
Cengage provides a range of supplements that are updated in coordination with the main title selection. For more information about these supplements, contact your Learning Consultant.
Instructor's Manual with Test Bank
This manual includes chapter outlines and learning objectives to help instructors prepare for lectures, annotated web links, and the instructions for 45 hands-on demonstrations (included in this text's Electronic Transparencies--see below). The manual also discusses CogLab integration on a chapter-by-chapter basis. The Test Bank includes five short essay questions per chapter (two marked as online quiz items), 10 true/false questions per chapter (two marked as online quiz items), and 40 multiple-choice items per chapter (10 marked as online quiz items), all with main text page references. The marked questions help instructors know which questions students may have seen in advance on the website, and can be used to encourage students to use the website for review.
ExamView® testing software includes all the test items from the Test Bank in electronic format, enabling you to quickly and easily create customized tests in print or online.