Request for consultation
Distinguished by its superior allied health focus and integration of technology, the Ninth Edition of Seager, Slabaugh and Hansen's CHEMISTRY FOR TODAY: GENERAL, ORGANIC, and BIOCHEMISTRY meets the needs of today’s diverse students with varied applications, examples, boxed features, interactive technology tools, and real-life case studies. CHEMISTRY FOR TODAY dispels students' inherent fear of chemistry and instills an appreciation for the role that chemistry plays in students’ daily lives through a rich pedagogical structure and an accessible writing style with lucid explanations. The book also provides greater support in both problem-solving and critical-thinking skills -- two key skills necessary for student success. By demonstrating the importance of chemistry concepts to their future careers, the authors not only help students set goals, but also help them focus on achieving them. Available with OWLv2, the most trusted online learning solution for chemistry.
- ASK A PHARMACIST: These twelve new articles by Marvin Orrock, Pharm.D., of Weber State University take a closer look at prescription and nonprescription health-related products that relate the chemistry of this course to the student’s future career in Allied Health professions. Articles look at medications to avoid on test day, gluten-free foods, and sports supplements, among other topics.
- CHEMISTRY AROUND US: These boxed features present everyday applications of the chemistry in the course with 19 new to this edition. New boxes address topics such as elements used in smart phone manufacturing, health drinks, and three-dimensional printers.
- UPDATED ART PROGRAM: Revisions to the art program include a new flow diagram style that makes the diagrams easier to read.
- EXAMPLE TITLES: To make examples easier to use and more helpful for review and study, all worked examples now include a subject matter title.
- REVISED SIGNIFICANT FIGURES RULES: The rules for counting significant figures in Chapter 1 were revised to follow the standard convention for treating trailing zeros.
- CASE STUDIES/CASE STUDY FOLLOW UPS: Eight new Case Studies, including one on microcephaly, open chapters with real-life scenarios that students may encounter at home and at work. Each case study incorporates critical chemistry concepts from the chapter in an exciting real-life scenario designed to make the reader feel a part of the experience. The case studies require the student to make a decision about what they would do if they were in that situation. A follow-up to each Case Study appears at the end of each chapter.
- NEW END-OF-CHAPTER EXERCISES: A significant number of the end-of-chapter questions are new and cover topics that are current, engaging, and relevant to today’s students.
- A WEALTH OF END-OF-CHAPTER EXERCISES: The book's wide range of end-of-chapter exercises include "Additional Exercises," which are not tied to a specific section and often consist of problems that integrate several concepts, and "Chemistry for Thought" exercises, which focus on conceptual and cumulative questions and ask students to apply what they have learned to a particular cumulative question.
- ALLIED HEALTH CONNECTION: An "Allied-Health Exam Connection" section follows each chapter's end-of-chapter exercises and includes chemistry questions found on entrance examinations used to screen applicants applying to Allied Health professional programs.
- INTEGRATED LEARNING OBJECTIVES: The book's Learning Objectives are integrated throughout each chapter and within the summary to help students focus on the chapter's key skills and concepts.
- LEARNING CHECKS: These short, self-check exercises follow the book's worked-out examples and discussions of key or difficult concepts to help students assess their understanding.
- CONCEPT SUMMARY SECTIONS: These end-of-chapter sections summarize each chapter's key concepts and include one or two appropriate end-of-chapter exercises per concept. By solving these exercises, students will have an approximate but quick assessment of how well they understand the Learning Objective related to that concept.
- "HOW REACTIONS OCCUR" SECTIONS: These sections present the mechanisms of representative organic reactions to help dispel the mystery of how these reactions take place.
- A UNIQUE AND INSTRUCTIVE ART PROGRAM: "Talking Labels" in the art itself walk students through each figure, pointing out what they need to see. Explanations of figures are incorporated into the art, rather than appearing in the caption, to help students follow processes and understand exactly what is happening within each figure without having to go back and forth between figure and caption.
- STUDENT-FOCUSED BOXED FEATURES: New “Ask a Pharmacist” boxes focus on medications, supplements, and products found on drugstore shelves and at the pharmacy; "Ask an Expert" boxes discuss important questions and answers about nutrition and fitness as related to chemistry; "Chemistry Around Us" boxes present everyday applications of chemistry; and updated "Chemistry Tips for Living Well" boxes relate to students' health and the health of the patients that they may care for in their future roles as a part of the allied health work force.
2. Atoms and Molecules.
3. Electronic Structure and the Periodic Law.
4. Forces Between Particles.
5. Chemical Reactions.
6. The States of Matter.
7. Solutions and Colloids.
8. Reaction Rates and Equilibrium.
9. Acids, Bases, and Salts.
10. Radioactivity and Nuclear Processes.
11. Organic Compounds: Alkanes.
12. Unsaturated Hydrocarbons.
13. Alcohols, Phenols, and Ethers.
14. Aldehydes and Ketones.
15. Carboxylic Acids and Esters.
16. Amines and Amides.
21. Nucleic Acids and Protein Synthesis.
22. Nutrition and Energy for Life.
23. Carbohydrate Metabolism.
24. Lipid and Amino Acid Metabolism.
25. Body Fluids.
Appendix A: The International System of Measurements.
Appendix B: Answers to Even-Numbered End-of-Chapter Exercises.
Appendix C: Solutions to Learning Checks.
Cengage provides a range of supplements that are updated in coordination with the main title selection. For more information about these supplements, contact your Learning Consultant.
Online Instructor's Manual
Study Guide with Student Solutions Manual
The Study Guide and Student Solutions Manual tests students on the learning objectives in each chapter and provides answers to all of the even-numbered end-of-chapter exercises. Additional Activities include specific questions for each section as well as a summary activity. Each chapter is rounded out with a Self Test with answers.
Safety Scale Laboratory Experiments
This proven lab manual offers a unique blend of laboratory skills and exercises that effectively illustrate concepts from the main text, CHEMISTRY FOR TODAY: GENERAL, ORGANIC, AND BIOCHEMISTRY, 8th and 9th Editions. The book's 15 general chemistry and 20 organic/biochemistry safety-scale laboratory experiments use small quantities of chemicals and emphasize safety and proper disposal of materials. 'Safety-scale' is the authors' own term for describing the amount of chemicals each lab experiment requires -- less than macroscale quantities, which are expensive and hazardous, and more than microscale quantities, which are difficult to work with and require special equipment.
Study Guide with Student Solutions Manual
The Study Guide and Student Solutions Manual tests you on the learning objectives in each chapter and provides answers to all of the even-numbered end-of-chapter exercises. Additional Activities include specific questions for each section as well as a summary activity. Each chapter is rounded out with a Self Test with answers.
Safety Scale Laboratory Experiments
Succeed in your chemistry course using this lab manual's unique blend of laboratory skills and exercises that effectively illustrate concepts from the main text, CHEMISTRY FOR TODAY: GENERAL, ORGANIC, AND BIOCHEMISTRY, 8th and 9th Editions. The book's 15 general chemistry and 20 organic/biochemistry safety-scale laboratory experiments use small quantities of chemicals and emphasize safety and proper disposal of materials. 'Safety-scale' is the authors' own term for describing the amount of chemicals each lab experiment requires -- less than macroscale quantities, which are expensive and hazardous, and more than microscale quantities, which are difficult to work with and require special equipment.
All-You-Can-Learn Access with Cengage Unlimited
Cengage Unlimited is the first-of-its-kind digital subscription that gives students total and on-demand access to all the digital learning platforms, ebooks, online homework and study tools Cengage has to offer—in one place, for one price. Students get unlimited access to a library of more than 22,000 products for $119.99 per semester.