Request for consultation
This fully updated Ninth Edition of Steven and Susan Zumdahl's CHEMISTRY brings together the solid pedagogy, easy-to-use media, and interactive exercises that today's instructors need for their general chemistry course. Rather than focusing on rote memorization, CHEMISTRY uses a thoughtful approach built on problem-solving. For the Ninth Edition, the authors have added a new emphasis on critical systematic problem solving, new critical thinking questions, and new computer-based interactive examples to help students learn how to approach and solve chemical problems--to learn to think like chemists--so that they can apply the process of problem solving to all aspects of their lives. Students are provided with the tools to become critical thinkers: to ask questions, to apply rules and develop models, and to evaluate the outcome. In addition, Steven and Susan Zumdahl crafted ChemWork, an online program included in OWL Online Web Learning to support their approach, much as an instructor would offer support during office hours. ChemWork is just one of many study aids available with CHEMISTRY that supports the hallmarks of the textbook--a strong emphasis on models, real world applications, visual learning, and independent problem solving. Available with InfoTrac® Student Collections http://gocengage.com/infotrac.
- A NEW EMPHASIS ON SYSTEMATIC PROBLEM SOLVING now appears in the applications of dimensional analysis.
- NEW CRITICAL THINKING QUESTIONS have been added throughout the text to emphasize the importance of conceptual learning.
- NEW COMPUTER-BASED INTERACTIVE EXAMPLES force students to think through the example step-by-step rather than simply scan the written example in the text as many students do. New Interactive Examples are available in OWL Online Web Learning. In addition, key examples from the text have been made into Interactive Tutorial problems and are available to assign in the OWL program.
- InfoTrac® Student Collections are specialized databases expertly drawn from the Gale Academic One library. Each InfoTrac® Student Collection enhances the student learning experience in the specific course area related to the product. These specialized databases allow access to hundreds of scholarly and popular publications - all reliable sources - including journals, encyclopedias, and academic reports. Learn more and access at: http://gocengage.com/infotrac.
- NEW CHEMWORK PROBLEMS have been added to the end-of-chapter problems throughout the text to test students' understanding of core concepts. They can be worked as pencil-and-paper problems or in interactive form in OWL, where students who solve a problem with no assistance can proceed directly to the answer and students who need help can get assistance through a series of hints. The hints in OWL--usually in the form of interactive questions that guide students through the problem-solving process--are modeled after the way an instructor would assist a student with homework problems during office hours. Students cannot derive the answer in OWL through pattern recognition; rather, they are encouraged to continue working though the hints to arrive at the answer.
- NEW END-OF–CHAPTER QUESTIONS AND PROBLEMS have been added throughout the text.
- THE REVISED AND UPDATED ART PROGRAM has been modified as needed, and new macro/micro illustrations have been added.
- A NEW SECTION ON LIMITING REACTANTS in Chapter 3, the treatment of stoichiometry, emphasizes calculating the amounts of products that can be obtained from each reactant. Students are taught how to select a limiting reactant both by comparing the amounts of reactants present and by calculating the amounts of products that can be formed by complete consumption of each reactant.
- A NEW SECTION ON PHOTOELECTRON SPECTROSCOPY was added to Chapter 9 (Section 9.6).
- ENHANCED OWL (ONLINE WEB LEARNING) INTEGRATION: For the Ninth Edition, OWL now includes more parameterized end-of-chapter questions, encouraging students to practice multiple questions of the same type with different chemicals, wording, and numbers to ensure their mastery of the underlying chemical concepts. OWL also includes Student Self- Assessments, ChemWork problems, Interactive Examples from the text, the interactive customizable Cengage YouBook, a customizable iPad-compatible multimedia eBook, and an optional Solutions Manual eBook.
- PROBLEM-SOLVING STRATEGY BOXES focus the student's attention on the very important process of problem solving, helping them learn to think like chemists.
- A SECTION TITLED "LEARNING TO SOLVE PROBLEMS" in Chapter 3 enables students to understand that thinking their way through a problem produces long-term and meaningful learning, rather than simply memorizing steps which are often quickly forgotten.
- A PROVEN STEP-BY-STEP APPROACH helps students master chemistry concepts more efficiently by using examples in the text paired with worked-out solutions. In addition, CHEMISTRY includes Margin Notes that provide problem-solving tips and reminders, Step boxes that highlight the main concepts in a section, and a range of end-of-chapter questions. Question formats consist of Discussion Questions, Exercises, integrative Challenge Problems, and comprehensive Marathon Problems that can be assigned for extra credit.
- A UNIQUE ORGANIZATION covers equilibria and acid-base chemistry early, delaying coverage of atomic theory and bonding until the second half of the text. The text includes sections on Exact Treatment of Buffered Solutions (Chapter 8), Adiabatic Processes (Chapter 10), and Molecular, Rotational, Vibrational, Electronic, and Nuclear Magnetic Spectroscopy (Chapter 14). These sections provide more depth at a slightly more rigorous level.
- MATHEMATICAL OPERATIONS REQUIRED FOR THE TEXT are conveniently described in an Appendix or are illustrated in worked-out examples. Knowledge of calculus is not required, and differential and integral notations, used only where absolutely necessary, are accompanied by explanations.
- OWL (ONLINE WEB LEARNING) INTEGRATION: Improve student learning outcomes with OWL, the #1 online homework and learning system for chemistry. Developed by chemistry instructors, OWL includes course management tools that simplify homework management as well as reporting and grade book features that save time in grading homework and tracking student progress. With OWL you can address different student learning styles through tutorials, simulations, visualization exercises, and algorithmically-generated homework questions with instant answer-specific feedback. With OWL's mastery learning approach, students work at their own pace until they understand each concept/skill. OWL includes the Cengage YouBook, a customizable iPad-compatible multimedia eBook. OWL for General Chemistry courses now include Quick Prep assignments that help students learn essential skills to succeed.
2. Atoms, Molecules, and Ions.
4. Types of Chemical Reactions and Solution Stoichiometry.
7. Atomic Structure and Periodicity.
8. Bonding: General Concepts.
9. Covalent Bonding: Orbitals.
10. Liquids and Solids.
11. Properties of Solutions.
12. Chemical Kinetics.
13. Chemical Equilibrium.
14. Acids and Bases.
15. Acid-Base Equilibria.
16. Solubility and Complex Ion Equilibria.
17. Spontaneity, Entropy, and Free Energy.
19. The Nucleus: A Chemist's View.
20. The Representative Elements.
21. Transition Metals and Coordination Chemistry.
22. Organic and Biological Molecules.
Appendix 1. Mathematical Procedures.
A1.1 Exponential Notation.
A1.3 Graphing Functions.
A1.4 Solving Quadratic Equations.
A1.5 Uncertainties in Measurements.
Appendix 2. The Quantitative Kinetic Molecular Model.
Appendix 3. Spectral Analysis.
Appendix 4. Selected Thermodynamic Data.
Appendix 5. Equilibrium Constants and Reduction Potentials.
A5.1 Values of Ka for Some Common Monoprotic Acids.
A5.2 Stepwise Dissociation Constants for Several Common Polyprotic Acids.
A5.3 Values of Kb for Some Common Weak Bases.
A5.4 Ksp Values at 25_C for Common Ionic Solids.
A5.5 Standard Reduction Potentials at 25_C (298K) for Many Common Half-Reactions.
Appendix 6. SI Units and Conversion Factors.
Answers to Selected Exercises.
Cengage provides a range of supplements that are updated in coordination with the main title selection. For more information about these supplements, contact your Learning Consultant.
Online Instructor's Resource Manual for Lab Manual
Available on the instructor's companion site and on PowerLecture, this PDF manual contains tips on running experiments, approximate times for each experiment, and answers to all pre-lab and post-lab questions posed in the laboratory guide.
Student Solutions Guide
Authored by Thomas J. Hummel of the University of Illinois, this manual contains answers and solutions to all odd-numbered end-of-chapter exercises. Solutions are divided by section for easy reference. With this guide, the author helps students achieve a deeper, intuitive understanding of the material through constant reinforcement and practice.
This laboratory manual provides an extensive laboratory program compatible with the text. The 61 experiments, including many experiments that offer choices of procedures, help students build skill and confidence in the lab. Safety is strongly emphasized throughout the program.
By Paul Kelter of Northern Illinois University. This study guide includes: chapter summaries that highlight the main themes; study goals with section references, solutions to all textbook Example problems, and over 1,500 practice problems for all sections of the textbook. The Study Guide helps students organize the material and practice applying the concepts of the core text.
Inquiry Based Learning Guide for Zumdahl/Zumdahl’s Chemistry, 9th
Student Solutions Guide
Master problem-solving using the detailed solutions in this manual, which contains answers and solutions to all odd-numbered, end-of-chapter exercises. Solutions are divided by section for easy reference. With this guide, the author helps you achieve a deeper, intuitive understanding of the material through constant reinforcement and practice.
Build skill and confidence in the lab with the 61 experiments included in this manual. Safety is strongly emphasized throughout the lab manual.
Study more effectively and improve your performance at exam time with this comprehensive guide. The study guide includes: chapter summaries that highlight the main themes, study goals with section references, solutions to all textbook Example problems, and over 1,500 practice problems for all sections of the textbook. The Study Guide helps you organize the material and practice applying the concepts of the core text.
Inquiry Based Learning Guide for Zumdahl/Zumdahl’s Chemistry, 9th