Request for consultation
Packed with sample speeches illustrating what to do as well as plenty of examples detailing what not to do, this value-priced public speaking text equips you with the essential skills and theories needed to become an effective public speaker. ESSENTIALS OF PUBLIC SPEAKING delivers abundant practical advice and also offers intriguing discussions on the role of ethics in public speaking as well as up-to-date coverage on effectively using technology in speech development and delivery. A strong emphasis on visual aids includes an insightful, four-color insert detailing how to get the most from your presentation materials. This edition features extended emphasis on critical thinking skills and student activities, as well as practical application of persuasive speaking theory. With ESSENTIALS OF PUBLIC SPEAKING, 5e you also have the option of including a wealth of learning resources like Speech Builder Express 3.0 speech-outlining software, Speech Studio, InfoTrac® College Edition, sample outlines, and more. It is an invaluable resource at a value price.
- End-of-chapter activities have been added to emphasize in-classroom student activities and critical thinking: "Personal Skill Building" and "Collaborative Skill Building".
- Other new pedagogical elements in the fifth edition include learning objectives, Active Critical Thinking questions, and "Flash Forward" boxes that relate the historical "Flash Back" information to the present day.
- New "Speaking to Make a Difference" boxes in select chapters feature recent speeches from current events that illustrate how chapter content is used successfully by speakers in the "real" world.
- Chapter 5 newly combines selecting, researching, and outlining your speech.
- There is also a new, additional chapter on Special Occasion speeches.
- Speech Builder Express 3.0: The text is now integrated with Speech Builder Express 3.0, a dynamic Web-based speech outlining and organizing tool that acts like an online speech tutor to guide students through the entire speech development process: choosing a topic, selecting an organization pattern, and incorporating visual aids and strategies for effective delivery. Help your students deliver powerful speeches with this exclusive tool.
- Vivid Visuals: More isn't always better. Professor Hamilton provides practical insight on designing and using visual aids of all types for more effective presentations. Coverage includes a unique full-color insert that details how to create professional-quality visual aids through the use of PowerPoint® presentation software.
- Fast Start: The resourceful Quick-Start Guide at the beginning of the text enables students to "hit the ground running," offering a useful reference when preparing speeches they may need to deliver early in the course. The guide provides a clear discussion of speech types, including references to impromptu and extemporaneous speaking. Each chapter also includes a reminder that shows students how the Quick-Start Guide relates to its specific topics, helping students identify the skills they need to complete a speech successfully.
- Online Resources: This value-priced text provides a wealth of teaching and learning resources, including Speech Builder Express speech outlining software, InfoTrac® College Edition, an Instructor's Manual, teaching tips, sample speeches and outlines, and more. The book-specific website houses a variety of sample student speeches that demonstrate effective public speaking. Students can watch, evaluate, and critique the student speeches and then submit their evaluations to their instructors.
- Technology Tips: Highly praised for her up-to-date coverage of the use of technology in the speech-making process, Professor Hamilton provides thorough information about using the Internet for research and adapting electronic presentation aids to the audience. Technology Tip for Speakers boxes located throughout the text provide practical advice for incorporating digital technologies into the speech-making process.
- Student Support: Test Your Knowledge quizzes, chapter outlines, chapter summaries, practice suggestions, and other pedagogical elements give students practical guidance as they work through the text, helping them improve their public speaking skills every step of the way. Key terms are identified at the end of each chapter so that students can define important terminology as they progress through the text. Sample Student Speeches include complete text, visual aids, presentation outlines, and speaking outlines.
- History Makers: Speaking to Make a Difference boxes feature brief essays about speech makers throughout history and in current events who have made an impact on society, vividly illustrating to students the effect of successful speech making.
- More Technology: This edition includes expanded coverage of technology, particularly ways new and emerging technology can help students develop and deliver speeches.
- Avoiding Pitfalls: Expanded coverage of visual aids in Chapter 10 offers a candid discussion of what not to do with visual aids--including examples of how PowerPoint® is often misused--and helps students make informed choices on about how to include these resources in their speeches. In addition, increased coverage of plagiarism and other unethical behavior related to speech making is integrated throughout the text, including tips for avoiding these problems in the speech-making process.
- Examples, Samples, and Tips: New text and video sample speeches as well as sample speech outlines provide fresh perspectives and give students solid examples to model. An appendix of sample student speeches includes complete text, visual aids, presentation outlines, and speaking outlines for each speech. For non-native English speakers, Chapter 2 includes suggestions on handling pronunciation and accent anxiety. And all students can benefit from the text's increased emphasis on outlining, giving readers a solid foundation in this fundamental process.
1. Public Speaking, Ethics, and You.
2. Building Speaker Confidence.
3. Listening: What Speakers and Listeners Should Know.
II: PREPARING YOUR SPEECH.
4. Analyzing Your Audience.
5. Selecting, Outlining, and Researching Your Topic.
6. Supporting Your Ideas.
7. Organizing a Successful Speech.
III: PRESENTING YOUR SPEECH.
8. Delivering Your Message.
9. Perfecting Language Style.
10. Preparing Effective Visual Aids.
IV: TYPES OF SPEECHES.
11. Informative Speaking.
12. Persuasive Speaking: Individual or Team.
13. Persuasive Methods and Theories.
14. Special Occasional Speaking.
"[Essentials of Public Speaking] provide[s] a clear and engaging core of public speaking in an inexpensive format."
"[Essentials of Public Speaking] has a feel of continual development … Each chapter builds on the previous and continues forward. It's easy for students to understand and relate to."
"[Essentials of Public Speaking] is written in a straight-forward easy to digest style that presents a difficult topic (speaking in front of people) in a positive, affirming way."
Cengage provides a range of supplements that are updated in coordination with the main title selection. For more information about these supplements, contact your Learning Consultant.
Cengage Learning Testing, powered by Cognero Instant Access
Instructor's Companion Web Site
This website for instructors includes customizable Microsoft® PowerPoint® lecture slides covering key concepts from the text, images from the text, videos, and the Instructor's Resource Manual. You'll also find Cengage Learning Testing Powered by Cognero®, a flexible, online system that allows you to author, edit, and manage test bank content from the text as well as from multiple Cengage Learning solutions; create multiple test versions in an instant; and deliver tests from your LMS, your classroom, or wherever you want.
CourseMate with SpeechBuilder Express™ 3.0, InfoTrac®, 1 term (6 months) Instant Access
Interested in a simple way to complement your text and course content with study and practice materials? Cengage Learning's CourseMate brings course concepts to life with interactive learning, study, and exam preparation tools that support the printed textbook. CourseMate includes access to a dynamic eBook, interactive video activities, SpeechBuilder Express™ 3.0 speech-outlining program, the InfoTrac® College Edition online library, and more. Watch student comprehension soar as your class works with the printed textbook and the textbook-specific website. The accompanying instructor website offers access to password-protected resources such as an electronic version of the Instructor's Manual and PowerPoint® slides.
CourseMate with SpeechBuilder Express™ 3.0, InfoTrac®, 1 term (6 months) Instant Access
The more you study, the better the results. Make the most of your study time by accessing everything you need to succeed in one place. Read your textbook, take notes, review flashcards, watch videos, and take practice quizzes-online with CourseMate. You'll also have access to interactive video activities, SpeechBuilder Express™ 3.0 speech-outlining program, the InfoTrac® College Edition online library, and more. Go to CengageBrain.com.