Request for consultation
Now you can provide maximum breadth of coverage for your legal course, even when you have tight time constraints with the concise, practical and accessible CENGAGE ADVANTAGE BOOKS: LAW FOR BUSINESS, 19E. This popular text offers a complete overview of all key topics in business law. Known for its straightforward approach and objective-based chapter organization, this trusted book helps your students easily comprehend the full range of topics in business law. Basic business law concepts are covered without extensive theory, making the law more approachable to give students the foundation they need to conduct business successfully in today's workplace. Acclaimed legal authors Ashcroft, Ashcroft, and Patterson combine short chapters and an engaging full-color design with real-world examples and timely applications. Integrated Learning Objectives and optional online tools, such as the MindTap® learning system, make business law approachable and engaging for all of your students.
- NEW COURT CASES ILLUSTRATE TODAY'S MOST COMPELLING BUSINESS LITIGATION. Students review gripping cases as well as the ethical stands of various contemporary entities.
- UPDATED TOPICS HIGHLIGHT MANY OF TODAY’S KEY LEGAL ISSUES AND RECENT DEVELOPMENTS. New content discusses Employer and Employee Relations with information on the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act; Business Torts and Crimes with coverage of online privacy protection and the Children's Online Privacy Protection Act (COPPA); and Government Regulation of Business with coverage of the Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC).
- REVISED ORGANIZATION REFLECTS FACULTY FEEDBACK. To enhance clarity, the authors have now consolidated chapters on Negotiable Instruments into a new Chapter 24 that addresses Liabilities of Parties and Holders in Due Course and Defenses. For a more streamlined presentation, they authors have also eliminated the previous edition’s Labor Legislation chapter.
- ETHICAL POINTS EMPHASIZE PRESSING ETHICAL CONCERNS AND CONNECTIONS. These brief ethical questions in the margins highlight pertinent ethical issues, show the relationships between law and ethics, and serve as a basis for meaningful class discussion.
- ETHICS IN PRACTICE ELEVATE THE CRITICAL ROLE OF LEGAL ETHICS IN TODAY’S WORKPLACE. Appearing at the end of each Part, these hypothetical business situations reinforce the importance of ethical responsibility amidst the current climate of corporate scandal and recrimination.
- LEARNING OBJECTIVES DIRECT STUDENT ATTENTION TO KEY CONCEPTS. These helpful Learning Objectives, which explicitly connect assignment material to appropriate concept from the chapter, help students better understand the chapter’s most critical concepts.
- ACTUAL COURT CASES DEMONSTRATE LEGAL CONCEPTS IN ACTION. Brief case summaries from real, relevant U.S. court cases provide easy-to-understand applications of the chapter concepts.
1. Introduction to Law.
2. Courts and Court Procedures.
3. Business Torts and Crimes.
4. Government Regulation of Business.
PART II: CONTRACTS.
5. Nature and Classes of Contracts.
6. Offer and Acceptance.
7. Capacity to Contract.
9. Defective Agreements.
10. Illegal Agreements.
11. Written Contracts.
12. Third Parties and Contracts.
13. Termination of Contracts.
PART III: PERSONAL PROPERTY.
14. Nature of Personal Property.
15. Special Bailments.
PART IV: SALES.
16. Sales of Personal Property.
17. Formalities of a Sale.
18. Transfer of Title and Risk in Sales Contracts.
19. Warranties, Product Liability, and Consumer Protection.
PART V: NEGOTIABLE INSTRUMENTS.
20. Nature of Negotiable Instruments.
21. Essentials of Negotiability.
22. Promissory Notes and Drafts.
23. Negotiation and Discharge.
24. Liabilities of Parties, Holders in Due Course and Defenses.
PART VI: AGENCY AND EMPLOYMENT.
25. Nature and Creation of an Agency.
26. Operation and Termination of an Agency.
27. Employer and Employee Relations.
28. Employees' Rights.
PART VII: BUSINESS ORGANIZATION.
29. Introduction to Business Organizations.
30. Creation and Operation of a Partnership.
31. Dissolution of a Partnership.
32. Nature of a Corporation.
33. Ownership of a Corporation.
34. Management and Dissolution of a Corporation.
PART VIII: RISK. BEARING DEVICES.
35. Principles of Insurance.
36. Types of Insurance.
37. Security Devices.
PART IX: REAL PROPERTY.
39. Nature of Real Property.
40. Transfer of Real Property.
41. Real Estate Mortgages.
42. Landlord and Tenant.
43. Wills, Inheritances, and Trusts.
Cengage provides a range of supplements that are updated in coordination with the main title selection. For more information about these supplements, contact your Learning Consultant.
Find everything you need for your course in one place! This collection of book-specific lecture and class tools is available online via www.cengage.com/login. Access and download PowerPoint® presentation slides, images, an Instructor’s Manual, videos, and more.
Cengage Learning Testing, powered by Cognero Instant Access
Cengage Learning Testing, powered by Cognero®, is a flexible, online system that allows you to import, edit, and manipulate content from the text's test bank or elsewhere, including your own favorite test questions. Create multiple test versions in an instant and deliver tests from your LMS, your classroom, or wherever you want.