Request for consultation
BUILDING VOCABULARY FOR COLLEGE is a vocabulary worktext that helps students increase their academic vocabulary through a practical, reinforcing approach that promotes mastery of the words and word parts studied. Users love the book for its “conciseness yet broadness of application,” its focus on word parts, its non-condescending tone, and its emphasis on academic terms. The text begins by presenting the basics such as common prefixes, suffixes, and roots. The lessons in Section 1 alternate between those that introduce ten word parts and those that present ten challenging words (which appear on college aptitude tests) containing those word parts. Exercises in Part 1 ask students to work through matching, multiple-choice, sentence fill-in, and completing a passage sections. The lessons in Section 2 introduce terms from a variety of academic disciplines to help students succeed across the curriculum. Exercises in Part 2 include matching, sentence fill-ins, and completing a passage sections.
- “Idioms to Know” boxes, which should prove to be particularly helpful to students for whom English is a second language, are now included in each chapter.
- The majority of the “Challenging Words” featured in Part One have been replaced with words that appear in one or more editions of the Scholastic Aptitude Test (SAT).
- A variety of new and engaging “Completing a Passage” sections have been written for this edition.
- “Valuable Bonus Word” boxes are included in each of the Academic Terms chapters.
- Numerous revisions to words, sentences, exercises, and review tests, including the crossword puzzles, have been made to enhance this text’s instructional value and enjoyment for both teachers and students.
- An updated design with attractive colors, new photos, and other selected features enrich the text’s overall visual appeal while adding to its instructional utility.
- A revised Test Bank is now available in print, and an electronic version is located on the Instructor Companion Website for BUILDING VOCABULARY FOR COLLEGE.
- “Completing a Passage” sections help students assess their comprehension and progress.
- Cumulative reviews with crossword puzzles provide students with more opportunity to practice what they have learned.
- The design features plentiful visuals, for a fresher, more approachable look and feel.
- The text features academic terms from a wide range of disciplines, including Literature and Composition, Psychology, Sociology, Political Science, Biology, Physical Science, Business and Economics, and Oral Communication.
- “Mastering Confusing Words” and “Idioms to Know” sections are particularly helpful to ESL students.
To the Instructor.
To the Student.
Part I: WORD PARTS AND CHALLENGING WORDS.
1. Word Parts: ary, co, col, com, con, cor, de, er, ist, or, ex, il, im, in, ir, ing, pre, re, un. Challenging Words: quandary, consensus, incongruous, debilitate, hedonist, extricate, meandering, precocious, reconciliation, unethical.
2. Word Parts: sub, pro, fy, inter, mis, dis, ob, op, ten, tion, ed. Challenging Words: submissive, prolific, mollify, intervene, misnomer, dissipate, obstreperous, tentative, correlation, alleviated.
3. Word Parts: able, ible, a, an, super, trans, poly, ver, log, ism, chron, post. Challenging Words: inevitable, apathy, superfluous, transition, polychromatic, veracity, epilogue, nepotism, chronic, posthumously.
4. Word Parts: bio, tele, auto, eu, ante, rect, fid, equ, pan, sym, syn. Challenging Words: biopsy, telepathy, autonomy, euphemism, antediluvian, rectify, infidelity, equivocal, panacea, syndrome.
5. Word Parts: phil, mal, spec, omni, hyper, anti, voc, vok, bi, path, ben. Challenging Words: philanthropy, malicious, specter, omnipotent, hypertension, antithesis, vociferous, bilingual, empathy, benign.
REVIEW TEST, CHAPTERS 1-5.
6. Word Parts: fin, gni, gno, bell, clau, clu, ambi, amphi, less, pen, pun, intra, intro, man, luc, lum. Challenging Words: finale, cognizant, belligerent, recluse, ambivalence, dauntless, penance, introspection, manhandle, elucidate.
7. Word Parts: bon, boun, multi, vert, neo, ful, ous, non, aud, extra, ultra, temp, ward. Challenging Words: bounteous, multifaceted, vertigo, neophyte, acrimonious, nondescript, audible, extraneous, contemporary, wayward
8. Word Parts: ann, enn, grad, gress, phon, mor, mort, pos, cap, dia, ness, hetero, homo. Challenging Words: annuity, gradient, cacophony, moribund, composure, capricious, diaphanous, blandness, heterogeneous, homogeneous.
9. Word Parts: contra, contro, counter, ac, claim, clam, dic, greg, terr, anthrop, fore, soph. Challenging Words: contraband, exacerbate, clamor, malediction, gregarious, terrain, foreboding, misanthrope, sedition, sophomoric.
10. Word Parts: spar, sper, peri, cred, em, en, tact, tang, macro, magn, the, pseudo, vid, vis, gen. Challenging Words: disparage, peripatetic, credence, embroil, tangible, magnanimous, monotheism, pseudonym, vis-à-vis, generic.
REVIEW TEST, CHAPTERS 6-10.
11. Word Parts: domin, dys, retro, medi, be, apt, prim, al, pot, ize. Challenging Words: domineering, dystrophy, retrograde, medieval, bereft, adaptation, primeval, colloquial, potable, ostracize.
12. Challenging Words: impeccable, ephemeral, garrulous, meticulous, nebulous, sagacious, specious, redundant, repudiate, viable.
13. Challenging Words: catharsis, dearth, guile, lethargy, affinity, affluence, dichotomy, enigma, banal, clandestine.
Challenging Words: alienation, collateral, deleterious, felicitous, hypothetical, immutable, aberration, impunity, gullible, trepidation.
15. Challenging Words: debacle, deprivation, epitome, fastidious, ubiquitous, garner, latent, ominous, pragmatic, placate.
16. Challenging Words: arduous, astute, blatant, covert, cull, decorum, enhance, deterrent, exonerate, inexorable.
17. Challenging Words: cogent, rationalize, sordid, eclectic, usurp, inundate, germane, perfunctory, acquiesce, nemesis.
REVIEW TEST, CHAPTERS 11-17.
Part II: ACADEMIC TERMS.
19. Oral Communication.
22. Social Science.
23. Business and Economics.
REVIEW TEST, CHAPTERS 18-22.
25. Biological Sciences.
26. Physical Sciences.
27. Criminal Justice.
REVIEW TEST, CHAPTERS 23-28.
Index for Word Parts.
Index for Challenging Words.
Index for Academic Terms.
Index for Bonus Words.
Index for Mastering Confusing Words.
Index for Idioms.