Request for consultation
Renowned for its writing style and trendsetting art, BIOLOGY: THE UNITY AND DIVERSITY OF LIFE engages students with relevant applications and encourages critical thinking. The new edition offers a new Learning Roadmap in each chapter to help students gain a full understanding. Students are able to focus on key concepts, make connections to other concepts, and see where the material is leading. Helpful learning tools like the section-ending "Take-Home Messages" and the on-page running glossary ensure they grasp key points. Carefully balancing accessibility and the level of detail, the authors enable students to go beyond rote memorization and prepare them to make important decisions in life that require an understanding of biology and the process of science.
- NEW! The Learning Roadmap at the beginning of each chapter helps students gain a full understanding. Students are able to focus on key concepts, make connections to prior concepts, and see where the material is leading.
- NEW! On-page running glossary provides immediate help with the language of Biology and aids reading comprehension. Students do not have to flip to the back of the book and can remain focused on the key concept.
- NEW! The Visual Summary reinforces key concepts and links the chapter content visually for students.
- NEW! Updated throughout with the latest research and even more clarity.
- NEW! Aplia for Biology helps students learn and understand key concepts via focused assignments and active learning opportunities that include randomized, automatically graded questions, exceptional text interaction, and immediate feedback.
- "How Would You Vote?" questions demonstrate the personal relevance of the concepts and ask students to consider biology-related news, explore the facts behind the issue, apply knowledge, and cast a vote.
- The clear writing style engages students and makes the material accessible without glossing over the science—even with the most formidable topics.
- The visually-appealing and accurate art program helps visual learners with step-by-step art, "Figure It Out" images, and animated figures.
- "Take-Home Message" at the end of each section poses a question that reflects the critical content of the section and answers the question in bulleted list format so students grasp the key concepts.
- Data Analysis Activities provide students with the opportunity to work with real data, further strengthening analytical skills and providing insight into contemporary research.
UNIT I: PRINCIPLES OF CELLULAR LIFE.
2. Life's Chemical Basis.
3. Molecules of Life.
4. Cell Structure and Function.
5. Ground Rules of Metabolism.
6. Where It Starts—Photosynthesis.
7. How Cells Release Chemical Energy.
UNIT II: GENETICS.
8. DNA Structure and Function.
9. From DNA to Protein.
10. Gene Control.
11. How Cells Reproduce.
12. Meiosis and Sexual Reproduction.
13. Observing Patterns in Inherited Traits.
14. Chromosomes and Human Inheritance.
15. Studying and Manipulating Genomes.
UNIT III: PRINCIPLES OF EVOLUTION.
16. Evidence of Evolution.
17. Processes of Evolution.
18. Organizing Information About Species.
19. Life's Origin and Early Evolution.
UNIT IV: EVOLUTION AND BIODIVERSITY.
20. Viruses, Bacteria, and Archaea.
21. Protists—The Simplest Eukaryotes.
22. The Land Plants.
24. Animal Evolution—The Invertebrates.
25. Animal Evolution—The Chordates.
26. Human Evolution.
UNIT V: HOW PLANTS WORK.
27. Plant Tissues.
28. Plant Nutrition and Transport.
29. Life Cycles of Flowering Plants.
30. Communication Strategies in Plants.
UNIT VI: HOW ANIMALS WORK.
31. Animal Tissues and Organ Systems.
32. Neural Control.
33. Sensory Perception.
34. Endocrine Control.
35. Structural Support and Movement.
39. Digestion and Nutrition.
40. Maintaining the Internal Environment.
41. Animal Reproductive Systems.
42. Animal Development.
43. Animal Behavior.
UNIT VII: PRINCIPLES OF ECOLOGY.
44. Population Ecology.
45. Community Ecology.
47. The Biosphere.
48. Human Impacts on the Biosphere.
A1. Amino Acids.
A2. How to Read a Journal Article.
A3. Answers to Self-Quizzes and Genetics Problems.
A4. Periodic Table of Elements.
A5. Closer Look at Some Major Metabolic Pathways.
A6. A Plain English Map of the Human Chromosomes.
A7. Restless Earth—Life's Changing Geological Stage.
A8. Units of Measure.
Cengage provides a range of supplements that are updated in coordination with the main title selection. For more information about these supplements, contact your Learning Consultant.
Instructor’s Manual for Starr/Taggart/Evers/Starr’s Biology: The Unity and Diversity of Life, 14th
This guide includes lesson outlines, labs, and practice questions, all formatted especially for the redesigned AP® biology exam.
Cengage Learning Testing, powered by Cognero Instant Access
Cengage Learning Testing Powered by Cognero is a flexible, online system that allows you to: Author, edit, and manage test bank content from multiple Cengage Learning solutions Create multiple test versions in an instant Deliver tests from your LMS, your classroom—or wherever you want!