Request for consultation
The new edition of BEGINNING ALGEBRA is an exciting and innovative revision that takes an already successful text and makes it more compelling for today's instructor and student. The authors have developed a learning plan to help students succeed in Beginning Algebra and transition to the next level in their coursework. Based on their years of experience in developmental education, the accessible approach builds upon the book's known clear writing and engaging style which teaches students to develop problem-solving skills and strategies that they can use in their everyday lives. The authors have developed an acute awareness of students' approach to homework and present a learning plan keyed to Learning Objectives and supported by a comprehensive range of exercise sets that reinforces the material that students have learned setting the stage for their success.
- NEW! Reach for Success highlights study skills and is featured at the beginning and end of each chapter. This feature is designed as an activity to help the student prepare for a successful semester.
- NEW! The Warm Ups have been significantly revised to include skills needed for the development of section concepts.
- NEW! Self Checks are now included with each Example so that students can check reading comprehension.
- NEW! A tear-out Basic Calculator Keystroke Guide for the Casio 9750GII has been provided, in addition to the existing TI-83 and TI-84 guide, to assist students with their calculator functionality and to serve as a quick reference.
- NEW! Additional Teaching Tips have been included at the request of reviewers.
- NEW! NEW! An appendix on Permutations, Combinations, and Probability, and an appendix on Measurement Conversions have been added to reflect changes in the curriculum for some beginning algebra courses because of a national call for new "transition" courses.
- Learning Objectives at the beginning of each section are mapped to content, as well as to exercises in the Guided Practice section, helping students identify specific concepts that may need reinforcement, and helping instructors tie problems to objectives and their own learning outcomes.
- Section vocabulary feature help students speak the language of mathematics. Not only are vocabulary words identified at the beginning of each section, these words are also bolded within the section. Exercises include questions on the vocabulary words, and a glossary has been developed to facilitate the students' reference to these words.
- Getting Ready questions appear at the beginning of each section, linking past concepts to the upcoming material.
- Examples are worked out in each chapter, highlighting the concept being discussed. "Notes" in many of the text's examples, give students insight into the process adopted when approaching a problem and working toward a solution. Each Example also ends with a Self Check problem, so that students may immediately apply concepts.
- The Now Try This feature at the end of each section focuses on developing transitional group-work exercises and increase conceptual understanding through active classroom participation. These problems can be worked independently or in small groups and transition to exercises in the following section.
- The Exercise Sets at the end of each section help transition students through progressively more difficult homework problems. Students are initially asked to work quick, simple problems on their own, proceed to working exercises keyed to examples, and finally complete application and critical thinking questions on their own. These sets include a variety of problem types, including "Warm Ups," "Review," "Vocabulary and Concept," "Guided Practice," "Additional Practice," "Applications," "Writing about Math," and "Something to Think About."
- Chapter-ending Projects encourage in-depth exploration and a review of key concepts.
- The Chapter Review grid presents the material cleanly and simply, giving students an efficient means of reviewing material.
- Chapter Tests allow students to pinpoint their strengths and challenges with the material.
- Cumulative Reviews follow the end of chapter material for every even-numbered chapter, and keep students' skills current before moving on to the next topic.
- Everyday Connections boxes invite students to see how the material is relevant to their lives. These have been updated to more accurately reflect a topic of the selected chapter.
- The design incorporates a tabular structure identifying features that guide students through the textbook, providing for increased readability.
- Chapter Openers showcase the many career paths available in the world of mathematics and include a brief overview of each career, as well as job outlook, growth and annual earnings potential statistics from the U.S. Department of Labor.
- Reach for Success highlights study skills and is featured at the beginning and end of each chapter. This feature is designed as an activity to help the student prepare for a successful semester.
Reach for Success. Real Numbers and Their Graphs. Fractions. Exponents and Order of Operations. Adding and Subtracting Real Numbers. Multiplying and Dividing Real Numbers. Algebraic Expressions. Properties of Real Numbers. Projects. Reach for Success Extension. Chapter Review. Chapter Test.
2. EQUATIONS AND INEQUALITIES.
Reach for Success. Solving Basic Linear Equations in One Variable. Solving More Linear Equations in One Variable. Simplifying Expressions to Solve Linear Equations in One Variable. Formulas. Introduction to Problem Solving. Motion and Motion Applications. Solving Linear Equations in One Variable. Projects. Reach for Success Extension. Chapter Review. Chapter Test. Cumulative Review for Chapters 1-2.
3. GRAPHS; EQUATIONS OF LINES; FUNCTIONS; VARIATION.
Reach for Success. The Rectangular Coordinate System. Graphs of Linear Equations in Two Variables. Slope of a Line. Point-Slope Form. Slope-Intercept Form. Functions. Variation. Projects. Reach for Success Extension. Chapter Review. Chapter Test.
Reach for Success. Natural-Number Exponents. Zero and Negative-Integer Exponents. Scientific Notation. Polynomials. Adding and Subtracting Polynomials. Multiplying Polynomials. Dividing Polynomials by Monomials. Dividing Polynomials by Polynomials. Projects. Reach for Success Extension. Chapter Review. Chapter Test. Cumulative Review for Chapters 1-4.
5. FACTORING POLYNOMIALS.
Reach for Success. Factoring Out the Greatest Common Factor; Factoring by Grouping. Factoring the Difference of Two Squares. Factoring Trinomials with Leading Coefficients of 1. Factoring Trinomials with a Leading Coefficient Other Than 1. Factoring the Sum and Difference of Two Cubes. Summary of Factoring Techniques. Solving Equations by Factoring. Solving Applications. Projects. Reach for Success Extension. Chapter Review. Chapter Test.
6. RATIONAL EXPRESSIONS AND EQUATIONS; RATIO AND PROPORTION.
Reach for Success. Simplifying Rational Expressions. Multiplying and Dividing Rational Expressions. Adding and Subtracting Rational Expressions. Simplifying Complex Fractions. Solving Equations That Contain Rational Expressions. Solving Applications of Equations That Contain Rational Expressions. Ratios. Proportions and Similar Triangles. Projects. Reach for Success Extension. Chapter Review. Chapter Test. Cumulative Review for Chapters 1-6.
7. SYSTEMS OF LINEAR EQUATIONS AND INEQUALITIES IN TWO VARIABLES.
Reach for Success. Solving Systems of Linear Equations by Graphing. Solving Systems of Linear Equations by Substitution. Solving Systems of Linear Equations by Elimination (Addition). Solving Applications of Systems of Linear Equations. Solving systems of Linear Inequalities. Projects. Reach for Success Extension. Chapter Review. Chapter Test.
8. ROOTS, RADICAL EXPRESSIONS, AND RADICAL EQUATIONS.
Reach for Success. Square Roots and the Pythagorean Theorem. nth Roots and Radicands That Contain Variables. Simplifying Radical Expressions. Adding and Subtracting Radical Expressions. Multiplying and Dividing Radical Expressions. 8.6 Solving Equations Containing Radicals; the Distance Formula. Rational Exponents. Projects. Reach for Success Extension. Chapter Review. Chapter Test. Cumulative Review for Chapters 1-8.
9. QUADRATIC EQUATIONS, QUADRATIC FUNCTIONS, AND COMPLEX NUMBERS.
Reach for Success. Solving Quadratic Equations Using the Square Root Property. Solving Quadratic Equations by Completing the Square. Solving Quadratic Equations by the Quadratic Formula. Graphing Quadratic Functions. Complex Numbers. Projects. Reach for Success Extension. Chapter Review. Chapter Test. Glossary.
APPENDIX 1 PERMUTATIONS, COMBINATIONS, AND PROBABILITY.
APPENDIX 2 MEASUREMENT CONVERSIONS.
APPENDIX 3 SAMPLE FINAL EXAMINATION.
APPENDIX 4 TABLE OF POWERS AND ROOTS.
APPENDIX 5 ANSWERS TO SELECTED EXERCISES.
"I really like the number of problems, the chapter tests and reviews. The applications are relevant and that is important. I like the number and clarity of the worked examples. The vocabulary is also nice how it is laid out and then those words are printed in bold ..." - Joseph Giuciardi, Community College of Allegheny County/Boyce Campus
"The text definitely encourages a student to interact with it. By keying exercises to examples and objectives, it makes it easy for students to refer back." - Kelly Jackson, Camden County College
Cengage provides a range of supplements that are updated in coordination with the main title selection. For more information about these supplements, contact your Learning Consultant.
Complete Solutions Manual
The Complete Solutions Manual provides worked-out solutions to all of the problems in the text.
Cengage Learning Testing, powered by Cognero Instant Access
Student Solutions Manual
All-You-Can-Learn Access with Cengage Unlimited
Cengage Unlimited is the first-of-its-kind digital subscription that gives students total and on-demand access to all the digital learning platforms, ebooks, online homework and study tools Cengage has to offer—in one place, for one price. Students get unlimited access to a library of more than 22,000 products for $119.99 per term.