Request for consultation
This text provides the conceptual and practical information on key issues and problems that students need to prepare effectively for work with at-risk youth. The authors describe and discuss the latest prevention and intervention techniques that will help future and current professionals perform their jobs successfully and improve the lives of young people at risk.
- NEW This edition has been updated with current research citations and statistics.
- NEW With the recent revision of CSHSE standards, coverage of new material and research from the Human Services has been integrated where relevant.
- NEW This edition features coverage of technology issues, such as cyber bullying, "sexting," and the dangers/impacts of social networking.
- NEW Material on LGBTQ youth has been added throughout the text.
- NEW The authors have included a new case study that examines special education and human services, addressing current interest in these areas.
- Each chapter has a recommended reading list and makes use of case studies and stories of real clients to illustrate concepts and to highlight, apply, and personalize the book's information.
- Most of the chapters have a section on interventions so that students can learn about successful techniques in working with young people at risk.
- Prevention and treatment suggestions now appear in many of the chapters.
- End-of-chapter citations include suggestions for further readings that supplement the information presented in the text.
- The text's Part One describes the ecological factors leading to the problems that children and adolescents face. Case study families that are revisited throughout the text are introduced in Part One.
- Part Three describes the actual at-risk categories (suicide, violence, drug/alcohol use, etc.) and presents treatment suggestions that are particularly effective for working with young people experiencing each of these categories of problems.
- Part Four contains a complete set of prevention and treatment intervention approaches, including descriptions of school-based family systems, and community-based prevention programs.
- The text presents educational, psychological, and counseling interventions for prevention and treatment of at-risk behaviors including those appropriate for adolescents, pre-adolescents, and younger children.
1. An Introduction to At-Risk Issues.
2. Environmental/Societal Factors that Contribute to Risk.
3. Legal and Ethical Issues.
Part II: FAMILIES, SCHOOLS, SKILLS.
4. Family Problems of At-Risk Children and Youth.
5. School Issues That Relate to At-Risk Children and Youth.
6. Individual Characteristics of High-Risk and Low-Risk Children and Youth.
Part III: AT-RISK CATEGORIES.
7. School Dropouts.
8. Substance Use and Addiction.
9. Teenage Pregnancy and Risky Sexual Behavior.
10. Antisocial Behavior, Delinquency and Youth Gangs.
11. Youth Suicide.
Part IV: PREVENTION, INTERVENTION, AND TREATMENT APPROACHES.
12. A Prevention/Early Intervention/Treatment Framework and Other Environmental Considerations.
13. Core Components of Programs for Prevention and Early Intervention.
14. Peer Interventions.
15. Family Interventions.
Cengage provides a range of supplements that are updated in coordination with the main title selection. For more information about these supplements, contact your Learning Consultant.
Online Instructor's Resource Manual
Streamline and maximize the effectiveness of your course preparation using such resources as brief chapter outlines, chapter summaries, extensively detailed chapter lecture outlines, lecture suggestions, video suggestions, and creative lecture and teaching suggestions. This manual also contains student learning objectives, key terms, essay/discussion questions, student activities, discussion exercises, and Internet exercises. Finally, it contains material on legal and ethical issues presented in the previous edition of the main text as Chapter 3.
Online Test Bank
Organize your course and capture your students' attention with the resources found in the Test Bank, including multiple-choice, true/false, short-answer, and essay questions for each chapter of the text -- most with answers and page references.
These vibrant Microsoft® PowerPoint® lecture slides for each chapter assist you with your lecture by providing concept coverage using images, figures, and tables directly from the textbook.
CourseMate 1 term (6 months) Instant Access
CourseMate brings course concepts to life with interactive learning, study, and exam preparation tools that support the printed textbook.
CourseMate 1 term (6 months) Instant Access
The more you study, the better the results. Make the most of your study time by accessing everything you need to succeed in one place. Read your textbook, take notes, review flashcards, watch videos, and take practice quizzes -- online with CourseMate. Access to this product is valid for 6 months after initial log-in.