Request for consultation
ART & CREATIVE DEVELOPMENT FOR YOUNG CHILDREN, 8th Edition, is a comprehensive, must-have resource for implementing a developmentally appropriate art program. Written for pre-service and in-service early childhood professionals in child care, preschool, and kindergarten through third grade settings, the text takes a child-directed approach to art education. Blending theory and research with practical applications, this book discusses important topics and issues related to creative experience, such as art and the developing child, special needs and diversity, brain research, and children's artistic development. Also discussed are planning, developing, implementing, and assessing art along with strategies for integrating art across the curriculum. The updated Eighth Edition gives greater emphasis to professional standards with NAEYC, DAP, and NAEA standards integrated throughout the text.
- Learning Outcomes at the beginning of each chapter correlate with main headings within the chapter and the Summary at the end of the chapter. The outcomes highlight what students need to know to process and understand the information in the chapter. After completing the chapter, students should be able to demonstrate how they can use and apply their new knowledge and skills.
- A greater integration of NAEYC, DAP, and NAEA professional education standards throughout the text helps students make connections between the standards and what they are learning. This integration is accomplished by Standards Addressed in this Chapter at the beginning of each chapter, icons throughout the chapter indicating where standards-related content is found, and a Standards Correlation Chart on the inside front and back covers that provides a complete list of the standards discussed throughout the book.
- TeachSource Video boxes introduce footage (accessible at Early Education CourseMate) that helps students relate key chapter content to real-life scenarios. Critical-thinking questions provide opportunities for in-class or online discussion and reflection.
- Did You Get It? quizzes at the end of each major heading help students measure their performance against the Learning Outcomes in each chapter. One question for each Learning Outcome is featured in the textbook to encourage students to go to CengageBrain.com, take the full quiz, and check their understanding.
- A Digital Downloads icon identifies Lesson Plans at the end of each chapter that can be downloaded from CourseMate and used in the classroom. The Lesson Plans provide grade-specific ideas for putting content into practice. Additional Lesson Plans not found in the text are also available for download. (CourseMate is available with the student text.)
- Updated throughout, the text includes a new historical discussion of the Froebelian roots of art in early childhood programs, thoughts about the benefits and logistics of displaying children's artwork, an overview of responsive teaching and teachable moments as they relate to art for young children, and a synopsis of play therapy as it is used with young children.
- Brain Connection boxes highlight current topics in brain research and how the research is relevant to early childhood educators.
- Additional Resources are now listed at the end of each chapter.
- A separate chapter (14) is devoted to understanding the role technology can play in children's visual art appreciation and production.
- At the beginning of each section, a sample Letter to Families makes it easy for new teachers to share classroom experiences with children's parents and caregivers. These letters are now available on CourseMate as digital downloads.
- The book stresses the process approach, demonstrating its importance to creative development.
- Play, music, and movement are discussed as they pertain to children's creativity.
- An Opportunity for Teacher Reflection boxes encourage readers to think about and discuss complex issues facing young children and their teachers.
- Hints boxes provide time-saving suggestions, and Something Extra boxes highlight additional information on topics such as "Tailoring Art for Children with Special Needs" (Ch. 4) and "The Reggio Emilia Experience" (Ch. 7).
- Abundant classroom-tested activities and recipes in Chapters 2-16 are a valuable resource for in-service teachers.
1. Understanding Creativity.
2. Creative Thinking.
3. Creative Experiences.
Section II: YOUNG CHILDREN AS ARTISTS: A DEVELOPMENTAL VIEW.
4. Art and the Developing Child.
5. Children's Artistic Development.
Section III: ART AND AESTHETICS.
6. The Elements of Art.
8. Sensory Experiences.
9. The Complete Early Childhood Art Program.
Section IV: PROVIDING ART EXPERIENCES.
10. Child-Centered Art vs. Teacher-Directed Projects.
11. Planning, Implementing, and Evaluating Art.
12. Integrating Art across the Early Childhood Curriculum.
13. The Art Center.
Section V: ROLES AND STRATEGIES.
14. Art Experiences through Technology.
15. Roles, Responses, and Strategies to Support Children's Art.
16. Art Assessment.
"Exceptional! Inclusive of the whole child and connects a vast amount of knowledge students need to understand in order to feel capable in the classroom setting when facilitating quality art experiences with children."
"An incredible book to encourage students to tap into their own creativity to understand how it feels. . . . It is an indispensible resource that will be used over and over again."
Cengage provides a range of supplements that are updated in coordination with the main title selection. For more information about these supplements, contact your Learning Consultant.
Online Instructor's Manual with Test Bank
An online Instructor's Manual accompanies this book. It contains information to assist the instructor in designing the course, including sample syllabi, discussion questions, teaching and learning activities, field experiences, learning objectives, and additional online resources. For assessment support, the updated Test Bank includes true/false, multiple-choice, matching, short-answer, and essay questions for each chapter.
These vibrant Microsoft® PowerPoint® lecture slides for each chapter assist you with your lecture by providing concept coverage using images, figures, and tables directly from the textbook.
Cengage Learning Testing, powered by Cognero Instant Access
Cengage Learning Testing Powered by Cognero is a flexible online system that allows you to author, edit, and manage test bank content from multiple Cengage Learning solutions; create multiple test versions in an instant; and deliver tests from your LMS, your classroom, or wherever you want.
CourseMate, 1 term (6 months) Instant Access
Cengage Learning's new Early Childhood Education CourseMate brings course concepts to life with interactive learning, study, and exam preparation tools that support the printed textbook. Students can access a new integrated eBook, Digital Downloads, flashcards, new videos, and more. Also new is Engagement Tracker, a first-of-its-kind tool that allows you to monitor student engagement in the course. The accompanying instructor website, available through login.cengage.com, offers access to password-protected resources such as PowerPoint® lecture slides and the online Instructor's Manual with Test Bank.
CourseMate, 1 term (6 months) Instant Access
Cengage Learning's new Early Childhood Education CourseMate brings course concepts to life with interactive learning, study, and exam preparation tools that support the printed textbook. Access a new integrated eBook, Digital Downloads, flashcards, Web activities and exercises, Web links, TeachSource Video Cases and other videos, and more. Access Early Childhood Education CourseMate through CengageBrain.com.