Request for consultation
Presenting social science research methods within the context of human service practice, APPLIED SOCIAL RESEARCH is the ideal text for courses focused on applied research in human services, counseling, social work, sociology, criminal justice, and community planning. With in-depth coverage of all the topics taught in traditional social science research methods courses, APPLIED SOCIAL RESEARCH brings the subject to life by showing how research is increasingly used in practice today. In addition, this fully updated edition includes a thought-provoking Eye on Ethics feature and new and revised Research in Practice vignettes. Available with InfoTrac® Student Collections http://gocengage.com/infotrac.
- Coverage of CSWE competencies has been expanded.
- InfoTrac® Student Collections are specialized databases expertly drawn from the Gale Academic One library. Each InfoTrac® Student Collection enhances the student learning experience in the specific course area related to the product. These specialized databases allow access to hundreds of scholarly and popular publications - all reliable sources - including journals, encyclopedias, and academic reports. Learn more and access at: http://gocengage.com/infotrac.
- An expanded discussion of the relationship between planning and evaluation has been added to clarify this important aspect of human service research.
- An increased focus on reading and writing research proposals, as well as expanded information on research articles and how to evaluate them, helps readers master key concepts and skills.
- New and revised "Research in Practice" boxes include interviews with practitioners on various topics to help readers see the connection between research and everyday practice.
- "Eye on Ethics" boxes encourage students to see ethics as an issue that is integral to research and one that must be continually addressed.
- Chapter-ending "Critical Thinking" sections connect research methods to practice, policy, and everyday life.
- The authors emphasize both quantitative and qualitative approaches to social science research, include a discussion of positivist and non-positivist paradigms in science, and introduce students to one of the key controversies in modern science.
- Chapter 17, "Writing for Research: Grant Proposals and Report Writing," takes students through the processes of securing funding and communicating research findings.
- Chapter-ending learning tools –"Main Points," "Important Terms for Review," "For Further Reading," and "Exercises for Class Discussion"—help students solidify their understanding of important chapter concepts.
2. The Logic of Social Research.
3. Ethical Issues in Social Research.
4. Issues in Problem Formulation.
5. The Process of Measurement.
7. Survey Research.
8. Analysis of Available Data.
9. Field Research and Qualitative Methods.
10. Experimental Research.
11. Single-System Designs.
12. Evaluation Research.
14. Data Analysis I: Data Preparation and Presentation.
15. Data Analysis II: Descriptive and Inferential Statistics.
16. Analysis of Qualitative Data.
17. Writing for Research: Grant Proposals and Report Writing.
Appendix A: A Guide to Library Use and Information Retrieval.
Appendix B: Generating Random Numbers.
Cengage provides a range of supplements that are updated in coordination with the main title selection. For more information about these supplements, contact your Learning Consultant.
Online Test Bank
The online Test Bank contains a set of ready-made test questions, including multiple-choice, true/false and essay questions.
Online Instructor's Manual
The instructor's manual contains a variety of resources to aid instructors in preparing and presenting text material in a manner that meets their personal preferences and course needs. It presents chapter-by-chapter suggestions and resources to enhance and facilitate learning.
All-You-Can-Learn Access with Cengage Unlimited
Cengage Unlimited is the first-of-its-kind digital subscription that gives students total and on-demand access to all the digital learning platforms, ebooks, online homework and study tools Cengage has to offer—in one place, for one price. Students get unlimited access to a library of more than 22,000 products for $119.99 per term.