Request for consultation
Designed specifically for biology and life/social sciences majors, this applied calculus program motivates students while fostering understanding and mastery. The authors emphasize integrated and engaging applications that show students the real-world relevance of topics and concepts. Several pedagogical features—from algebra review to study tips—provide extra guidance and practice. APPLIED CALCULUS FOR THE LIFE AND SOCIAL SCIENCES features current, relevant examples drawn from government sources, industry, recent events, and other disciplines that appeal to diverse interests. This Enhanced Edition includes instant access to Enhanced WebAssign®, the most widely-used and reliable homework system. Enhanced WebAssign® presents over a thousand problems, links to relevant textbook sections, video examples, problem-specific tutorials, and more, that help students grasp the concepts needed to succeed in this course. As an added bonus, the Start Smart Guide has been bound into this text. This guide contains instructions to help students learn the basics of WebAssign quickly.
- CL MATHSpace encompasses the interactive online products and services integrated with Cengage Learning mathematics programs. Ready-to-use content can be accessed through text-specific Student and Instructor Websites and via course management systems. For optimal instruction and learning, CL MATHSpace Homework Powered by WebAssign allows instructors to create assignments from a database of algorithmic questions based on end-of-section exercises.
- This Enhanced Edition includes instant access to Enhanced WebAssign®, the most widely-used and reliable homework system. Enhanced WebAssign® presents over a thousand problems, links to relevant textbook sections, video examples, problem-specific tutorials, and more, that help students grasp the concepts needed to succeed in this course. As an added bonus, the Start Smart Guide has been bound into this text. This guide contains instructions to help students learn the basics of WebAssign quickly.
- Make a Decision multi-step exercises reinforce students' problem-solving skills by taking real-life applications further, testing what students know about a given problem and prompting them to make decisions within the context of that problem.
- Non-computational Concept Check questions appear at the end of each section, allowing students to pause and check their understanding of the concepts covered in that section.
- Appearing in the middle of each chapter, Mid-Chapter Quizzes are single-page tests that let students practice skills and concepts learned in the chapter. This opportunity for self-assessment helps uncover potential weaknesses that might require further review of the material.
- At the beginning of each exercise set, Skills Review exercises help students practice those skills covered in previous sections; answers are provided at the back of the text to reinforce understanding.
The Real Number Line and Order. Absolute Value and Distance on the Real Number Line. Exponents and Radicals. Factoring Polynomials. Fractions and Rationalization.
1. FUNCTIONS, GRAPHS, AND LIMITS.
The Cartesian Plane and the Distance Formula. Graphs of Equations. Lines in the Plane and Slope. Functions. Limits. Continuity.
The Derivative and the Slope of a Graph. Some Rules for Differentiation. Rates of Change. The Product and Quotient Rules. The Chain Rule. Higher-Order Derivatives.
3. APPLICATIONS OF THE DERIVATIVE.
Increasing and Decreasing Functions. Extrema and the First-Derivative Test. Concavity and the Second-Derivative. Optimization Problems. Asymptotes. Curve Sketching: A Summary. Differentials: Linear Approximation.
4. EXPONENTIAL AND LOGARITHMIC FUNCTIONS.
Exponential Functions. Natural Exponential Functions. Derivatives of Exponential Functions. Logarithmic Functions. Derivatives of Logarithmic Functions. Exponential Growth and Decay.
5. TRIGONOMETRIC FUNCTIONS.
Radian Measure of Angles. The Trigonometric Functions. Graphs of Trigonometric Functions. Derivatives of Trigonometric Functions.
6. INTEGRATION AND ITS APPLICATIONS.
Antiderivatives and Indefinite Integrals. Integration by Substitution and The General Power Rule. Exponential and Logarithmic Integrals. Area and the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus. The Area of a Region Bounded by Two Graphs. Volumes of Solids of Revolution.
7. TECHNIQUES OF INTEGRATION.
Integration by Parts. Partial Fractions and Logistic Growth. Integrals of Trigonometric Functions. The Definite Integral as the Limit of a Sum. Numerical Integration. Improper Integrals.
Systems of Linear Equations in Two Variables. Systems of Linear Equations in More Than Two Variables. Matrices and Systems of Linear Equations. Operations with Matrices. The Inverse of a Matrix.
9. FUNCTIONS OF SEVERAL VARIABLES.
The Three-Dimensional Coordinate System. Surfaces in Space. Functions of Several Variables. Partial Derivatives. Extrema of Functions of Two Variables. Least Squares Regression Analysis. Double Integrals and Area in the Plane. Applications of Double Integrals.
10. DIFFERENTIAL EQUATIONS.
Solutions of Differential Equations. Separation of Variables. First-Order Linear Differential Equations. Applications of Differential Equations.
11. PROBABILITY AND CALCULUS.
Discrete Probability. Continuous Random Variables. Expected Value and Variance.
Appendix A. Differentiation and Integration Formulas.
Appendix B. Additional Topics in Differentiation.
Implicit Differentiation. Related Rates.
Appendix C. Probability and Probability Distributions (web only)
C.1 Probability. Probability Computations. Conditional Probability. Tree Diagrams and Bayes'' Theorem. Probability Distributions. Normal Distribution. Binomial Distribution.
Appendix D. Properties and Measurement (web only).
Review of Algebra. Units of Measurements.
Appendix E. Graphing Utility Programs (web only).
Graphing Utility Programs.
Cengage provides a range of supplements that are updated in coordination with the main title selection. For more information about these supplements, contact your Learning Consultant.
Online Instructor's Resource Manual
Online Complete Solutions Manual
Eduspace Passkey and eBook
Eduspace Passkey and eBook