Request for consultation
Promoting a conceptual understanding and taking an integrative systems approach, ANIMAL PHYSIOLOGY 2E illustrates the individual organization as well as the collective interdependence of each complete physiological system. The text begins with chapters on integrative principles and on the genomic, molecular, and cellular basis of physiology, then proceeds to chapters on individual organ systems. For each organ system, evolutionary forces as well as current cellular and molecular research are discussed. To clearly illustrate system interdependence, each systems chapter contains a summary, titled "Making Connections." To make the text even more accessible to students, the authors also incorporate a comparative approach to animal physiology, examining the basic physiology of many vertebrate and nonvertebrate animals as well as their primary diseases and ability to respond to environmental changes.
- NEW! A thorough review of the most recent published literature led to the inclusion of the most current, cutting-edge scientific information. In addition, more details on evolutionary and comparative aspects of physiological adaptations have been included.
- NEW! Over 90% of the art has been upgraded in this edition, with more three-dimensional art; many conceptually redesigned or new figures to enhance student understanding; brighter, more contemporary, and more visually appealing colors; and a more consistent style throughout.
- NEW! Check Your Understanding questions have been added after each major section to help review the main ideas just discussed.
- NEW! Each chapter now ends with a bulleted list of key concepts and additional Review, Synthesize, and Analyze essay questions that integrate the chapter material or delve deeper into a topic and challenge the student on a higher level.
- NEW! Cengage Learning's Physiology CourseMate brings course concepts to life with interactive learning, study, and exam preparation tools that support ANIMAL PHYSIOLOGY.
- ANIMAL PHYSIOLOGY's primary organization is according to body system, but it also provides coverage of cellular, molecular, and genomic topics in early chapters, and incorporates this information throughout the text as a basis for understanding organ function.
- Each chapter includes an overview of major evolutionary events and selective forces. All topics have been placed in a biological context that melds the proximate (mechanistic) approach of traditional physiology with the evolutionary explanations behind them, in order to discuss not only the power of natural selection, but also the often seemingly illogical details of life.
- The authors include both analogies and frequent references to everyday experiences to help students relate to the physiology concepts presented.
- Special breakout boxes pique the interest of students and encourage critical thinking, including "Molecular Biology and Genomics," "Beyond the Basics," "Challenges and Controversies," "Unanswered Questions," and "A Closer Look at Adaptation."
1. Homeostasis and Integration: The Foundations of Physiology.
2. Cellular and Molecular Physiology.
3. Membrane Physiology.
4. Neuronal Physiology.
SECTION II: WHOLE-BODY REGULATION AND INTEGRATION.
5. Nervous Systems.
6. Sensory Physiology.
7. Endocrine Systems.
SECTION III: SUPPORT AND MOVEMENT.
8. Muscle Physiology.
SECTION IV: SELF-MAINTENANCE.
9. Circulatory Systems.
10. Defense Systems.
11. Respiratory Systems.
12. Excretory Systems.
13. Fluid and Acid–Base Balance.
14. Digestive Systems.
15. Energy Balance and Thermal Physiology.
SECTION V: REPRODUCTION.
16. Reproductive Systems.
Cengage provides a range of supplements that are updated in coordination with the main title selection. For more information about these supplements, contact your Learning Consultant.
This easy-to-use presentation tool using Microsoft® PowerPoint® allows you to quickly assemble art and database files as well as annotate and selectively enlarge figures to show detail in lectures. The PowerLecture contains all of the line art figures from ANIMAL PHYSIOLOGY 2E in addition to lecture slides, and flash animations illustrating key concepts, all designed to facilitate classroom discussion. This disc also includes a test bank to aid in class preparation.
CourseMate with InfoTrac® Instant Access
New. Cengage Learning's Physiology CourseMate brings course concepts to life with interactive learning, study, and exam preparation tools that support ANIMAL PHYSIOLOGY. Instructors can easily track students' participation and engagement in course materials through a unique engagement tracker. Students have access to an interactive eBook, animations, flashcards, quizzes, and much more.
CourseMate with InfoTrac® Instant Access
Cengage Learning's CourseMate brings course concepts to life with interactive learning, study, and exam preparation tools that support the printed textbook. Maximize your course success with the integrated eBook and chapter-specific learning tools that include flashcards, quizzes, videos, and more in your CourseMate. Key Features: Interactive eBook, Engagement Tracker, Learning Objectives, Tutorial Quizzes, Glossary and Flashcards, and Web Links and References.