Request for consultation
Written for students who are just beginning to study human services, this practical, easy-to-read guide provides a nuts-and-bolts overview of the field as well as a glimpse of what students can expect as they continue their education and begin working in their profession. Because the field encompasses many career opportunities, skills, and client populations, this text also helps students decide which specialty is right for them. AN OVERVIEW OF THE HUMAN SERVICES, 2nd Edition, provides a look at human services agencies, jobs, workers, and populations served; a clear analysis of the major theories of causality; and helpful special chapters on such important topics as ethics and stress management. It prepares students by challenging them to become active learners via self-reflection, case studies, real-world scenarios, applied and experiential activities, and inventories. This edition has been significantly revised and reorganized to improve coverage and flow of the material; for instance, with earlier and more detailed coverage of ethics, more information on two-year human service degrees, an entire chapter on case management, and a new chapter devoted to the issues and interventions related to interpersonal partner abuse, sexual assault (including military sexual assault), HIV/AIDS, and LGBT populations.
- The book is updated throughout, including current statistics related to client populations and many new tables that highlight pertinent facts related to the narrative discussions.
- Based on reviewer feedback, chapters and topics have been rearranged to improve the flow of the material. For instance, the history section (formerly Chapter 2) now appears in Chapter 1. The issues related to sociological theories are now presented in the first three chapters.
- Chapter 2, “Modern Day Human Services: Policies and Programs, Interventions, and Demographic Considerations,” is now devoted to present-day human service legislation and practices.
- The ethics chapter, formerly Chapter 11, now appears as Chapter 3. The chapter now covers multicultural issues as well as the latest ethical issues, including the use of the Internet.
- Chapter 4, “Human Service Workers,” now discusses the Council on Human Services standards in detail. It also features an increased focus on careers for two-year human service degrees and the new certification in Human Services.
- Chapter 5, “Basic Counseling Skills, Personal Characteristics of Human Service Workers, and Theoretical Approaches to Counseling,” now covers communication skills as well as all of the topics noted in the new chapter title.
- Every chapter includes critical thinking and reflection questions to encourage students to explore their own values as well as their thoughts and feelings about the material.
- A case study, accompanied by an exit quiz, concludes each chapter, giving students the opportunity to practice applying chapter concepts in a real-world context.
- Each chapter contains applied activities that bring chapter concepts to life and help students personalize what they have read by asking them to reflect on their own lives, role-play with other students, and perform activities outside of class.
- Chapter review questions and a glossary of terms aid students in studying and test preparation.
- Cengage Learning's CourseMate brings course concepts to life with interactive learning, study, and exam preparation tools that support the printed textbook. CourseMate includes an integrated MindTap™ Reader, video with activities, exercises, case studies, glossary, flashcards, and quizzing.
2. Modern Day Human Services: Policies and Programs, Interventions, and Demographic Considerations.
3. Ethical and Multicultural Issues in the Human Services.
4. Human Service Workers.
5. Basic Counseling Skills, Personal Characteristics of Human Service Workers, and Theoretical Approaches to Counseling.
6. Crisis Intervention, Suicide Prevention, PTSD, Community Disasters and Trauma Response, and Military Trauma.
7. Human Service Populations.
8. Mental Illness, Poverty, Disabilities, Crime/Violence, Substance Abuse.
9. Interpersonal Partner Abuse, Sexual Assault, HIV/AIDS, and LGBT Issues.
10. Stress Management.
11. Case Management.
12. Macro-level Practice.
13. Leadership and Organizational Structure.
“Comprehensive and content-rich. A great overview of key human service concepts and programs.”
“[This book] provides the student a wealth of practical knowledge and introduces the reader to the breadth and depth of the field.”
Cengage provides a range of supplements that are updated in coordination with the main title selection. For more information about these supplements, contact your Learning Consultant.
Online Instructor's Manual
The instructor's manual contains a variety of resources to aid instructors in preparing and presenting text material in a manner that meets their personal preferences and course needs. It presents suggestions and resources to enhance and facilitate learning.
Online Test Bank
For assessment support, the updated test bank includes multiple-choice and short-answer/ essay questions for each chapter.
These vibrant Microsoft® PowerPoint® lecture slides for each chapter assist you with your lecture by providing concept coverage from the textbook.
CourseMate, 1 term (6 months) Instant Access
Cengage Learning's Counseling CourseMate brings course concepts to life with interactive learning, study, and exam preparation tools that support the printed textbook. CourseMate includes an integrated MindTap Reader, video with activities, exercises, case studies, glossary, flashcards, and quizzing -as well as the Engagement Tracker gradebook, a first-of-its-kind tool that monitors student engagement in the course.
All-You-Can-Learn Access with Cengage Unlimited
Cengage Unlimited is the first-of-its-kind digital subscription that gives students total and on-demand access to all the digital learning platforms, ebooks, online homework and study tools Cengage has to offer—in one place, for one price. Students get unlimited access to a library of more than 22,000 products for $119.99 per term.