Request for consultation
Well written and easy to understand, An ILLUSTRATED GUIDE TO PRUNING, Third Edition is filled with updated illustrations, photographs, and examples designed to help readers understand and implement the appropriate pruning practices that are vital to developing sustainable structure in the first 25 years of a tree's life. With coverage of numerous different tree species as well as information about the challenges associated with pruning such as disease prevention, root pruning, mature tree pruning, and restoration following storms, students will be prepared to identify and understand good tree structure and pruning practices. Filled with simple tables, lists, and strategies, this completely updated guide to pruning makes it easy to teach the presented pruning techniques in accordance with nationally recognized ANSI A-300 standards.
- Coverage has been updated to include numerous species examples of all pruning methods, expanded sections on palm and veteran tree care, and two new chapters that detail root pruning and mature tree pruning, including restoration following storms.
- More than 200 new color photographs have been added in order to provide examples of pruning trees in real-world situations.
- More than 50 new illustrations have been added in order to clarify pruning cuts, tree structure, and specialized pruning techniques.
- Additional tables have been added so that readers are able to easily compare concepts.
- Detailed protocol for pruning different aged trees provides the specifics needed for instructors to teach the emerging practice of preventive tree care.
- Coverage of pruning specifications and why they are crucial to good tree care is included in order to provide readers with precise and easy-to-understand information.
- A focus on preventive tree care through pruning provides readers with the information necessary to save young and medium-aged trees from later problems.
- Coverage of topics such as tree biology, structural pruning, and nursery pruning provide readers with the latest techniques and tips available.
- Color has been added to the illustrations to better highlight the techniques being shown.
2. Plant Selection, Placement, and Management: The Best Way to Minimize Pruning Needs.
3. Tree Structure.
4. Tree Biology.
5. Pruning Cuts.
6. Pruning Tools.
7. When to Prune.
8. Nursery Shade Tree Production Pruning: Developing the Trunk and Leader.
9. Nursery Shade Tree Production Pruning: Developing the Crown.
10. Developing and Maintaining Special Forms.
11. Structural Pruning of Shade Trees in the Landscape: Strategies.
12. Structural Pruning of Shade Trees in the Landscape: Execution
13. Pruning Types on Established Trees.
14. Mature and Storm Damaged Trees.
15. Maintaining Special Trees and Sites.
16. Root Pruning.
17. Standards and Specifications.
18. Shrub Pruning.
"I would like to begin by stating…this is an excellent, well-written text. Virtually all of this text is up-to-date and theoretically sound… The text does an excellent job at describing the practices in more detail."
"The project's three greatest strengths are the use of illustrations (with a few minor modifications, in some instances), the accompanying easy to understand text, and the author's compelling, supported reasons for making his pruning recommendations."