Request for consultation
AMERICAN GOVERNMENT AND POLITICS TODAY is known nationwide for its balanced, unbiased, and modern coverage of constitutional, governmental, political, social, and economic structures and their processes. The book provides the knowledge that allows students to make informed choices, encourages them to play an active role in the decision-making process, and promotes their enthusiastic participation in the world around them by giving them the tools they need to get involved. The 2017–2018 edition's updates include in-depth coverage of the 2016 elections. MindTap® for American Government, Cengage Learning's fully online learning solution, is available and fully integrated with this text.
- This edition has been substantially revised and updated to include the 2016 national elections and recent data, issues, and engaging examples of politics, politicians, and policies.
- In response to reviewers, Chapter 10: The Media and Politics has been significantly revised. This chapter puts a strong emphasis on the way social media connects individuals to one another and with ideas and political leaders.
- "Politics in Practice" features appear in each chapter and focus on making politics and people taking political action visible to students by highlighting examples from popular culture and current events. In Chapter 2, the feature highlights the impact of the Broadway musical Hamilton. In Chapter 5, it shows the power of students to change the racial climate on their campus through protest. The feature is designed to enhance student interest by identifying a person or group of people who took on an issue and made a difference.
- An "Election 2016" feature has been added to every chapter. Within the context of each chapter's focus, this feature guides students to think about the ways an election can change American politics or reinforce the status quo.
- Greater attention has been paid to gender issues throughout the text, as suggested by reviewers. New material is included on the historic candidacy of Hillary Rodham Clinton, the Equal Pay Act, and the Lilly Ledbetter Act, as well as updated coverage of women's rights and gender equality, gender and racial discrimination, and the pay gap.
- Tables and figures have been updated and the results of the 2016 election are included.
- Recent court decisions on marriage equality and immigration, as well as foreign policy issues like the violence in Syria and the refugee crisis, are integrated into the appropriate chapters to ensure that the book addresses the most timely political events and topics.
- "Beyond Our Borders" features give students both global and comparative context, covering topics related to key issues such as economic globalization, foreign elections, citizenship, immigration, and foreign lobbying.
- Learning objectives begin each chapter and highlight the most important content, concepts and skills.
- Most chapters include a social media screen capture that poses a critical-thinking question. This feature challenges students to apply chapter content to the real world.
- End-of-chapter summaries link back to a Learning Objective to test student understanding of the topics at hand.
- Within the context of each chapter's focus, an "Election 2016" feature guides students to think about the ways an election can change American politics or reinforce the status quo.
- "What if... ?" questions prompt lively classroom discussion and encourage students to apply critical-thinking skills to current, real-life issues.
1. One Republic -- Two Americas?
2. The Constitution.
Part II: CIVIL RIGHTS AND CIVIL LIBERTIES.
4. Civil Liberties.
5. Civil Rights.
Part III: PEOPLE AND POLITICS.
6. Public Opinion and Political Socialization.
7. Interest Groups.
8. Political Parties.
9. Campaigns, Voting, and Elections.
10. The Media and Politics.
Part IV: POLITICAL INSTITUTIONS.
11. The Congress.
12. The President.
13. The Bureaucracy.
14. The Courts.
Part V: PUBLIC POLICY.
15. Domestic Policy.
16. Economic Policy.
17. Foreign Policy and National Security.
Part VI: STATE AND LOCAL POLITICS.
18. State and Local Government.
"I honestly think this text is the gold standard for teaching American Government. It is clear and replete with numerous access points for students to understand the material."
"Its strength is its comprehensive nature. A student who reads this text would be ready to engage in a meaningful conversation about most of the current political topics."
"The text is relevant and its presentation evokes interest and excitement."
Cengage provides a range of supplements that are updated in coordination with the main title selection. For more information about these supplements, contact your Learning Consultant.
Everything you need for your course in one place! This collection of product-specific lecture and class tools is available online via the instructor resource center at www.cengage.com/login
Cengage Learning Testing, powered by Cognero Instant Access
Cengage Learning Testing, powered by Cognero® is a flexible, online system that allows you to import, edit, and manipulate content from the text's test bank or elsewhere, including your own favorite test questions; create multiple test versions in an instant; and deliver tests from your LMS, your classroom, or wherever you want.