Request for consultation
Bring the excitement and action of computer programming to your students from the very first day with this dynamic addition to your course - ALICE 3 IN ACTION: COMPUTING THROUGH ANIMATION, 2E by Joel Adams. This brief six-chapter supplementary book uses Alice - the popular 3D virtual reality computer programming system for teaching that reduces the syntax and eliminates many of the common barriers to programming success. Alice and ALICE 3 IN ACTION: COMPUTING THROUGH ANIMATION, 2E make programming both simple and fun. Even beginning students instantly see the possibilities and rewarding results of programming, which is the first step in encouraging further study in this exciting field!
- More than 200 new illustrations demonstrate how to use Alice 3’s new integrated development environment (IDE).
- Examples throughout the book are based on Alice 3’s professionally created Sims™ models, donated by Electronic Arts.
- Several new animation examples, including aerobics exercises and a “penguin party,” add to the book’s appeal.
- A book-length project shows students how to create and develop a complete project from start to finish.
- Features full coverage of Alice 3 object-oriented features, including classes, class hierarchies, and inheritance.
- FUN, THREE-DIMENSIONAL ANIMATIONS KEEP STUDENTS MOTIVATED AND INVOLVED. This high-energy, animated approach is ideal for today's visually oriented students.
- FLEXIBLE FOR USE IN ANY INTRODUCTORY PROGRAMMING COURSE. This supplementary text can enhance your instruction and work effectively within today’s introductory programming course.
- SIX-CHAPTER PRESENTATION INTRODUCES PROGRAMMING FUNDAMENTS USING ALICE. This book uses Alice, today’s popular tool that teaches programming techniques in a visually rich environment that’s less syntax-intensive to eliminate many of the barriers to programming success. Students review the fundamentals of programming in six chapters as they cover objects, methods, variables, control structures, array and lists, and events.
- CAPTIVATING EXAMPLES, VISUALS AND PROJECTS REINFORCE SKILLS. Extensive examples, fascinating images, and intriguing end-of-chapter projects help emphasize programming skills and strength your students’ mastery of programming basics. Special projects allow you to assess their comprehension.
- APPROACH ENSURES POSITIVE FIRST PROGRAMMING EXPERIENCE. This supplementary book helps you create a dynamic and exciting first exposure to computer programming while ensuring students clearly grasp object-oriented concepts.
3. Variables and Expressions.
4. Flow Control.
Appendix A. Alice Standard Methods and Functions.
Appendix B. Recursion.
Appendix C. NetBeans.
Cengage provides a range of supplements that are updated in coordination with the main title selection. For more information about these supplements, contact your Learning Consultant.
Alice in Action with Java™
Alice in Action with Java, an innovative new text by Joel Adams, provides CS1 users with a meaningful and motivating introduction to object-oriented programming. Using a spiral pedagogy, Adams introduces key object-oriented topics using Alice 2.0, then circles back to the same concepts in Java. Alice was developed to help teach introductory programming techniques in a less syntax-intensive environment, and addresses some of the barriers that currently prevent many users from successfully learning to program. By initially introducing basic concepts in Alice, users will have a positive first programming experience and a foundation on which to build when they revisit those concepts in Java.
All instructor materials are available for instructor download at sso.cengage.com. Designed to help facilitate classroom instruction, the instructor resources are unique to the textbook. Items such as an Instructor's Manual, PowerPoint slides, computerized test bank, Syllabi, and Solution Files are offered. Contact your sales rep for more information.
Cengage Learning Testing, powered by Cognero Instant Access
All-You-Can-Learn Access with Cengage Unlimited
Cengage Unlimited is the first-of-its-kind digital subscription that gives students total and on-demand access to all the digital learning platforms, ebooks, online homework and study tools Cengage has to offer—in one place, for one price. Students get unlimited access to a library of more than 22,000 products for $119.99 per term.