Request for consultation
Updated throughout with relevant new examples, research, and photos, AGING, THE INDIVIDUAL, AND SOCIETY, Tenth Edition, brings a social problems approach to the interdisciplinary study of gerontology. This accessible text combines academic research with an empathetic view of the lives of older people to involve students emotionally and intellectually in the material. Activities offer many opportunities for experiential learning.
- Thoroughly updated with new topics, timely examples, and recent research, the tenth edition is also reorganized for a more effective sequence of learning material. A fresh new photo program and relevant new quotes help students relate to the material.
- Learning Objectives have been added to the end-of-chapter material, and each chapter is written with the objectives in mind. Upon completion of the book, students will have been systematically introduced to the major multidisciplinary factors of aging in America.
- Greater integration of global issues reflects how the well being of American citizens is linked to the well being of people around the world. While it is beyond the scope of the text to elaborate extensively on global issues, cross-national topics are integrated and addressed in assignments and discussion questions. For instance, Chapter 10 compares cross-cultural and cross-national patterns in housing preferences and living arrangements for older adults, and Chapter 14 explores the universal emotion of grief.
- This edition updates and reinforces its links to policy, public will, and policy implementation. For instance, information on Social Security, Medicare, and Medicaid provides support for classroom discussion of health care reform and the Affordable Care Act signed into law in 2010 and upheld by the Supreme Court in 2012. You will also find discussion of issues related to aging prison populations, elder abuse, and medical fraud (Ch. 12).
- The Suggested Internet Activities have been revised and strengthened to provide a more in-depth interactive experience for students and instructors.
- Fieldwork Suggestions (at the end of each chapter) are designed to increase students' interaction with senior citizens and help them apply the chapter material.
- End-of-chapter summaries, key learning concepts, and questions for discussion help students review and retain important ideas.
- Suggested Internet Activities provide students with opportunities to further explore and reinforce their understanding of topics discussed in the chapter.
2. Stereotypes and Images.
3. Social and Psychological Theories in Later Life Development.
4. Physical Health and Well Being.
5. Mental Health.
6. Friends, Family, and Community.
7. Intimacy and Sexuality.
8. Work and Leisure.
9. Finances and Lifestyles.
10. Living Environments.
11. The Oldest Old and Caregiving.
12. Special Problems.
13. Women and Ethnic Groups.
14. Death and Dying.
15. Politics, Policies, and Programs.
Internet Information Resources.
Cengage provides a range of supplements that are updated in coordination with the main title selection. For more information about these supplements, contact your Learning Consultant.
Online Test Bank
The test bank includes approximately 40-50 multiple-choice, 20 true/false, 10 short-answer, and 5-10 essay questions for each text chapter, most with answers and page references.
Online Instructor's Manual
To help you organize your course and capture your students' attention, the Instructor's Manual includes chapter focus statements, key learning objectives, lecture outlines, in-class discussion questions, class activities, student handouts, extensive lists of reading and online resources, and suggested Internet sites and activities.
These Microsoft® PowerPoint® lecture slides for each chapter assist you with your lecture, by providing concept coverage using images, figures, and tables directly from the textbook.
Cengage Learning Testing, powered by Cognero Instant Access
Cengage Learning Testing Powered by Cognero® is a flexible, online system that allows you to: author, edit, and manage test bank content from the book's test bank as well as multiple Cengage Learning solutions; create multiple test versions in an instant; and deliver tests from your LMS, your classroom, or wherever you want.