Request for consultation
Based on the innovative Project Lead the Way (PLTW) curriculum, this dynamic new text is designed to prepare students for college and career success in science, technology, engineering, and math (STEM). Whether students are interested in becoming engineering or architecture professionals, or simply want to understand the structural systems and building styles in their communities, this text will help them develop the technological literacy to appreciate, describe, and make informed decisions about our built environment. As an integrated part of your PLTW program or a standalone classroom resource, CIVIL ENGINEERING AND ARCHITECTURE is an ideal choice to support your students' STEM success. This book provides a richly illustrated history of architectural styles and the engineering achievements that produced them, as well as detailed coverage of the principles and concepts that current professionals use to shape today's built environment. From site discovery through landscaping, the text provides a wealth of step-by-step examples and exercises, plentiful case studies and career profiles, and engaging articles and activities to help students build their knowledge while developing essential problem-solving skills.
- This text is based on the Project Lead the Way curriculum and is designed to complement existing course materials with simple, effective integration of civil engineering and architecture topics using a single, comprehensive text.
- Abundant, engaging examples and step-by-step procedures illustrate and explain key concepts in an exciting way that students can readily understand and appreciate, even while maintaining high standards of technical detail and academic rigor.
- Integrated throughout the text, realistic case studies, interesting articles and excerpts, and profiles of professional careers help students appreciate the real-world roles of civil engineering and architecture in today's communities.
- Plentiful activities, problems, and projects throughout the text support the PLTW approach to learning by providing hands-on, step-by-step opportunities for students to reinforce and extend their learning while applying their skills in challenging, practical ways.
- A supplementary student workbook contains exercises and additional material to build on the text content and help students develop specific skill sets they will need to succeed in college programs or careers in civil engineering or architecture.
3. Research, Documentation, and Communication.
4. Architectural Design.
5. Site Discovery for Viability Analysis.
6. Site Planning.
7. Site Design.
8. Energy Conservation and Design.
9. Residential Space Planning.
10. Commercial Space Planning.
11. Dimensioning and Specifications.
12. Building Materials and Components.
13. Framing Systems: Residential and Commercial Applications.
14. Structural Systems: What Makes a Building Stand?
15. Planning Electric Codes.
16. Planning for Plumbing.
17. Indoor Environmental Quality and Security.
19. Visual Communication of Design Intent.
20. Formal Communication and Analysis.
Cengage provides a range of supplements that are updated in coordination with the main title selection. For more information about these supplements, contact your Learning Consultant.
Instructor's Resource CD-ROM
The Instructor Resources CD-ROM is an instructor resource which commonly includes PowerPoint presentations for each core textbook chapter, computerized test bank, Instructor's Manual, and other text-specific resources.
The student workbook is design to help the user retain key chapter content. Included within this resource are chapter objective questions, key term definition queries, multiple choice, fill in the blank and true or false problems.
The student workbook is design to help you retain key chapter content. Included within this resource are chapter objective questions, key term definition queries, multiple choice, fill in the blank and true or false problems.
Technology Education CourseMate with eBook 1-Year Instant Access Code
Cengage Learning's CourseMate brings course concepts to life with interactive learning, study, and exam preparation tools that support the printed textbook. Maximize your course success with the integrated eBook and chapter-specific learning tools that include flashcards, quizzes, videos, and more in your CourseMate. Key Features: Interactive eBook, Engagement Tracker, Learning Objectives, Tutorial Quizzes, Glossary and Flashcards, and Web Links and References.