Request for consultation
This step-by-step, highly visual text provides a comprehensive introduction to managing and maintaining computer hardware and software. Written by best-selling author and educator Jean Andrews, A+ Guide to IT Technical Support, Ninth Edition closely integrates the CompTIA A+ Exam objectives to prepare students for the 220-901 and 220-902 certification exams. The new Ninth Edition also features extensive updates to reflect current technology, techniques, and industry standards in the dynamic, fast-paced field of PC repair and information technology. Each chapter covers both core concepts and advanced topics, organizing material to facilitate practical application and encourage students to learn by doing. The new edition features more coverage of updated hardware, security, virtualization, new coverage of cloud computing, Linux and Mac OS, and increased emphasis on mobile devices. Supported by a wide range of supplemental resources to enhance learning with Lab Manuals, CourseNotes, online labs and the optional MindTap that includes labs, certification test prep and interactive exercises and activities, this proven text offers students an ideal way to prepare for success as a professional IT support technician and administrator.
- Hardware and software coverage aligned to CompTIA A+ certification exam.
- An extensive collection of supplemental resources enhance teaching and learning. Highlights include Lab Manuals, CourseNotes, Online Labs and MindTap that includes online labs, certification test prep and interactive exercises and activities.
- Extensive updates to reflect the new organization and content of the CompTIA A+ certification exams, helping students to prepare for success on the 220-901 and 220-902 exams.
- Features new coverage of Windows 8/8.1. New coverage of Linux and Mac OS.
- More extensive coverage of mobile devices and mobile operating systems (Android, iOS, and Windows). Integrated coverage of notebooks/laptops in every chapter.
- Features more coverage of security, basic cloud computing, and virtualization.
- Features coverage of new topics for the 220-901 exam, such as updated hardware including UEFI firmware, new processors, sockets, display devices, virtual printing, wearable technologies, phablets and mobile device accessories, and digital security enhancements.
- Includes topics new for the 220-902 exam, such as Microsoft® Windows® 8/8.1, light coverage of Linux and Mac OS, Linux commands, troubleshooting Linux, Mac OS startup and errors, basic cloud concepts, mobile operating systems (Android, iOS, and Windows) mobile security, synchronizing data and troubleshooting theory and applications.
- A unique A+ Table of Contents allows students to quickly identify topics relevant to the CompTIA A+ exams and determine where those topics are covered within the text.
- Special icons and features throughout the text make it easy to identify content covered on the CompTIA A+ 220-901 and 220-902 certification exams, allowing students to focus their efforts effectively when reviewing for the exams.
- Learning tools and special features help students master the material, including Applying Concepts, Key Terms, Reviewing the Basics, Thinking Critically, Hands-On Projects, and Real Problems, Real Solutions.
2. Working Inside Desktop Computers and Laptops.
3. All About Motherboards.
4. Supporting Processors and Upgrading Memory.
5. Supporting the Power System and Troubleshooting Computers.
6. Supporting Hard Drives and Other Storage Devices.
7. Survey of Windows Features and Support Tools.
8. Installing Windows.
9. Supporting I/O Devices.
10. Maintaining Windows.
11. Optimizing Windows.
12. Troubleshooting Windows and Supporting Users.
13. Troubleshooting Windows Startup.
14. Connecting to and Setting up a Network.
15. Supporting Network Hardware.
16. Supporting Mobile Operating Systems.
17. Windows Resources on a Network.
18. Security Strategies.
19. Supporting Printers and Customizing a System.
20. Virtualization, Linux, and Mac OS X.
Appendix A: Safety Procedures and Environmental Concerns.
Appendix B: Entry Points for Windows Startup Processes.
Appendix C: CompTIA A+ Acronyms.
“I like the overall organization of the material and the inclusion of the more hands-on material in the chapters. This is basic information but it is presented in a nice order and is easy to read.”
“I think the addition of tablets/mobile devices is a large strength of the chapter and imagery is nice. Students learn with images and descriptions so I think this is done nicely.”
Cengage provides a range of supplements that are updated in coordination with the main title selection. For more information about these supplements, contact your Learning Consultant.
Instructor's Companion Web Site
Everything you need for your course in one place! This collection of product-specific lecture and class tools is available online via the instructor resource center at www.cengage.com/login. You'll be able to access and download materials such as PowerPoint presentations, images, instructor’s manual, videos, and more.
Lab Manual for Andrews’ A+ Guide to IT Technical Support, 9th Edition INSTRUCTOR DESCRIPTION: The Laboratory Manual is a valuable tool designed to enhance your lab experience. Lab activities, objectives, materials lists, step-by-step procedures, illustrations, and review questions are commonly found in a Lab Manual.
Cengage Learning Testing, powered by Cognero, Instant Access
Cengage Learning Testing, powered by Cognero® is a flexible, online system that allows you to import, edit, and manipulate content from the text’s test bank or elsewhere, including your own favorite test questions; create multiple test versions in an instant; and deliver tests from your LMS, your classroom, or wherever you want.
The Laboratory Manual is a valuable tool designed to enhance your lab experience. Lab activities, objectives, materials lists, step-by-step procedures, illustrations, and review questions are commonly found in a Lab Manual.