Request for consultation
Used by more than one million students, Ellie Whitney and Sharon Rady Rolfes' UNDERSTANDING NUTRITION is THE best-selling introductory nutrition text on the market today! While maintaining the stellar quality and support that discerning instructors demand for the majors course, the Thirteenth Edition takes UNDERSTANDING NUTRITION to a new level with an integrated pedagogy, along with an emphasis on active learning, assignable content, and integrated resources that support instructors' course objectives and students' future career opportunities. From its beautiful and carefully developed art program to its strong science base, contemporary coverage, and market-leading supplements, the Thirteenth Edition of UNDERSTANDING NUTRITION connects with its readers and continues to set the standard for texts in this market. This text includes 20 chapters beginning with core nutrition topics, such as diet planning, macronutrients, vitamins and minerals, and following with chapters on diet and health, fitness, life span nutrition, food safety, and world hunger. Praised for its consistent level, approachable narrative, and careful explanations of key topics, UNDERSTANDING NUTRITION connects with students--engaging them as it teaches the basic concepts and applications of nutrition. Take a fresh look at UNDERSTANDING NUTRITION.
- Learning Objectives have been added for the first time in this edition. Each learning objective is tied to a main section of the chapter (called Learn It) and repeated as reinforcement in the end-of-section summary (called Review It). Learning objectives also appear in the study cards at the back of the book (Study It) and quiz questions (Test It).
- Nutrition in Your Life, which appears at the beginning of each chapter and serves to provide a personal application of chapter content for the student, is now explicitly tied to the Nutrition Portfolio at the end of the chapter, which includes a related activity to be done in Diet Analysis Plus.
- Updated coverage throughout every chapter in the Thirteenth Edition presents the field's latest developments, including the USDA's new MyPlate Food Guide, Dietary Guidelines for Americans 2010, and nutrition and health objectives from the Healthy People 2020. In addition, the newest dietary guidelines for vitamin D, calcium, and sodium have been included.
- Chapter 9's coverage of obesity and overweight has been thoroughly updated to reflect the considerable research on the topic in the last three years. A new How To box discusses ways of identifying fad diets and weight-loss scams.
- The Highlight for Chapter 3 now contains a section on celiac disease. Chapter 4 contains a new box: How To Reduce the Intake of Added Sugars, and Chapter 14 contains a new How To on calculating the carbohydrate concentration of sports drinks. These are just a few of the hundreds of updates throughout.
- WebTutor Premium, your complete solution for Nutrition, provides course management tools for instructors and various online study tools for your students. Each chapter in UNDERSTANDING NUTRITION prompts students to use online resources: review quizzes, Pop-up Tutors, animations, case studies, interactive exercises, and more. Easy to assign and track, WebTutor will save time both for instructors and students to better support course goals and learning objectives.
- Pop-up Tutors are lecture videos developed by Dr. Jessica Coppola at Sacramento City College that reinforce key concepts and provide students with further instruction and practice on particularly difficult topics; such as, metabolism, digestion, and absorption. Students can access the Pop-up Tutors via WebTutor for BlackBoard and WebCT.
- Detachable Study Cards at the end of the book provide concise summaries of the key chapter concepts along with key figures and study questions. These cards are perforated and designed for students to use as a quick review for exams.
- At the end of each chapter, "Nutrition Portfolio" sections invite students to evaluate and compare their personal dietary choices with dietary goals introduced in the text by completing an activity in Diet Analysis Plus.
- "How To" sections guide readers through problem-solving tasks such as calculating energy intake from the grams of carbohydrate, fat, and protein in a food. Each "How To" feature is accompanied by "Try It"activities for students to practice these skills.
Highlight: Nutrition Information and Misinformation--On the Net and in the News.
2. Planning a Healthy Diet.
Highlight: Vegetarian Diets.
3. Digestion, Absorption, and Transport.
Highlight: Common Digestive Problems.
4. The Carbohydrates: Sugars, Starches, and Fibers.
Highlight: Carbs, Calories, and Controversies.
5. The Lipids: Triglycerides, Phospholipids, and Sterols.
Highlight: High-Fat Foods--Friend or Foe?
6. Protein: Amino Acids.
Highlight: Nutritional Genomics.
7. Metabolism: Transformations and Interactions.
Highlight: Alcohol and Nutrition.
8. Energy Balance and Body Composition.
Highlight: Eating Disorders.
9. Weight Management: Overweight, Obesity, and Underweight.
Highlight: The Latest and Greatest Weight-Loss Diet--Again.
10. The Water-Soluble Vitamins: B Vitamins and Vitamin C.
Highlight: Vitamin and Mineral Supplements.
11. The Fat-Soluble Vitamins: A, D, E, and K.
Highlight: Antioxidant Nutrients in Disease Prevention.
12. Water and the Major Minerals.
Highlight: Osteoporosis and Calcium.
13. The Trace Minerals.
Highlight: Phytochemicals and Functional Foods.
14. Fitness: Physical Activity, Nutrients, and Body Adaptations.
Highlight: Supplements as Ergogenic Aids.
15. Life Cycle Nutrition: Pregnancy and Lactation.
Highlight: Fetal Alcohol Syndrome.
16. Life Cycle Nutrition: Infancy, Childhood, and Adolescence.
Highlight: Childhood Obesity and the Early Development of Chronic Diseases.
17. Life Cycle Nutrition: Adulthood and the Later Years.
Highlight: Nutrient-Drug Interactions.
18. Diet and Health.
Highlight: Complementary and Alternative Medicine.
19. Consumer Concerns about Foods and Water.
Highlight: Food Biotechnology.
20. Hunger and the Global Environment.
Highlight: Environmentally-Friendly Food Choices.
Appendix A Cells, Hormones, and Nerves.
Appendix B Basic Chemistry Concepts.
Appendix C Biochemical Structures and Pathways.
Appendix D Measures of Protein Quality.
Appendix E Nutrition Assessment.
Appendix F Physical Activity and Energy Requirements.
Appendix G United States: Exchange Lists.
Appendix H Table of Food Composition.
Appendix I WHO: Nutrition.
Recommendations Canada: Choice.
System and Guidelines.
Appendix J Healthy People 2010.
Dietary Reference Intakes.
Aids to Calculations.
Daily Values for Food Labels.
Glossary of Nutrient Measures.
Body Mass Index.
Cengage provides a range of supplements that are updated in coordination with the main title selection. For more information about these supplements, contact your Learning Consultant.
Instructor's Companion Website
The Instructor Companion Website has everything you need for your course in one place! This collection of book-specific lecture and class tools is available online via www.cengage.com/login. Access and download PowerPoint presentations, images, instructor's manual, videos, and more.
Cengage Learning Testing, powered by Cognero® Instant Access
Cengage Learning Testing, powered by Cognero® is a flexible, online system that allows you to import, edit, and manipulate content from the text's test bank or elsewhere, including your own favorite test questions; create multiple test versions in an instant; and deliver tests from your LMS, your classroom, or wherever you want.